How do Cacodemons open doors?

This thought has been bothering me recently. How exactly do Cacodemons open doors? In Doom 64 they have arms, in Doom 3 they have tentacles and whatnot. What about in the original Doom though?

Share this post


Link to post

Through pure force of will.
That or their big-ass mouth.

Share this post


Link to post

For the sake of argument, most doors in the game don't have traditional door handles, and they all open up-to-down. I always just attributed it to the technology in the game's universe. The "use" function has always been somewhat ambiguous regarding doors.

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

in Doom 3 they have tentacles and whatnot.


They also do so in Doom: check out those weird tendrils underneath them. I always viewed them as rudimentary Krang-like tentacles or pseudopods.



They are also not short on protruding horns jutting out at pretty much every angle: they must have developed some mobility/sensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post

More importantly, how does it wipe its butt...or scratch its balls? No wonder they're so pissed, they can't hug each other.

Share this post


Link to post

Doors are (sort of) electrical
Cacos manage electricity at some rate

That, or just plain ol' ~*~hell magic~*~

Share this post


Link to post

Not only do Cacodemons have tendrils to manipulate their surroundings, but I like to think they also have some form of telekinesis.

Share this post


Link to post

I've suddenly got a mental image of Lost Souls bashing themselves against doors to open them. Reminds me of the Green Pile.

Share this post


Link to post

If we're asking this question, then for that matter, how do any of the other monsters open doors - even former humans or the Doomguy himself?



All of these look pretty solid and impenetratable, and none of them have any obvious method by which their opening mechanism is activated.

Share this post


Link to post

It certainly is one the greatest questions of the 21st century, hopefully someday mankind will find the answer. Personally, I think the doors are touch activated.

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

All of these look pretty solid and impenetratable, and none of them have any obvious method by which their opening mechanism is activated.


Seeing that they all open upwards, I suppose they are tension-activated like certain garages and shop shutters, where you have to push them down with your foot briefly for them to start pulling up on their own.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

More importantly, how does it wipe its butt...or scratch its balls? No wonder they're so pissed, they can't hug each other.


Pissed? They seem pretty happy with that giant grin on their faces :P

Share this post


Link to post
Diamhea said:

The "use" function has always been somewhat ambiguous regarding doors.

Yeah, before we can ask how Cacos open doors, the issue of how you open doors in general still isn't answered. We can't just say that they're motion sensing like in Quake, you have to use the door manually. Doing what? Well, Doomguy keep his hands firmly on his gun at all times, and makes an oomph sound when unsuccessfully using a surface. I hope he's not sticking his dick in the door.

Piper Maru said:

Personally, I think the doors are touch activated.

If that were the case, they'd open upon simply walking into them.

Maes said:

Seeing that they all open upwards, I suppose they are tension-activated like certain garages and shop shutters, where you have to push them down with your foot briefly for them to start pulling up on their own.

There are doors that open downward (technically platforms, who cares, it's intended as a door) in the official maps, and Doom 64 has actual non-platform doors that open both directions at once.

Share this post


Link to post

They use their hellish powers to will the doors to open.

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps they are all kick or shoulder/bump/hump activated. After all, what exactly is Doomguy doing when opening a secret door or just uselessly groaning against a wall?

Share this post


Link to post

Cacodemons spit ball lightning. They spit a tiny little ball of electricity at the door's switch, triggering it.

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if Cacodemons lack depth perception since they only have one eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Seeing that they all open upwards, I suppose they are tension-activated like certain garages and shop shutters, where you have to push them down with your foot briefly for them to start pulling up on their own.

So are we saying that whenever you press the "use" key to open a door, the Doomguy is (off-camera, and all the while keeping his head perfectly still) stretching his arms down to the floor, sticking his fingers under it and heaving it upwards? And the UAC designed all the doors in their bases to be operated in this strange way?

More mysterious still, all the doors in hell itself also follow this convention. Maybe it's the reality bleeding phenomenon, and all the doors you encountered were once actually UAC base doors that had the metal parts magically replaced with chunks of marble or wood, while the opening mechanism itself was perfectly preserved.

Share this post


Link to post

I find it interesting that the wooden hell doors make mechanical sounds when opening/closing just like the UAC doors.

Share this post


Link to post

Doomguy opens doors like Conan the Barbarian. He just grabs from the door or presses his hands against the door and pushes/lifts it up.

Cacodemons stare at the doors until they open.

Arch-Viles open doors with magic.

Share this post


Link to post

Every once in a while, monsters start the level in Deathmatch mode, which means they can open locked doors. This also needs further explanation, IMO.

EDIT: Minor mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

This thought has been bothering me recently. How exactly do Cacodemons open doors? In Doom 64 they have arms, in Doom 3 they have tentacles and whatnot. What about in the original Doom though?


I'd guess the same way that they stuck the Barons on the walls in E2M9.

Share this post


Link to post
Patrol1985 said:

Pissed? They seem pretty happy with that giant grin on their faces :P


That's another reason they are so pissed: their mouths are positioned upside-down on their faces.

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

So are we saying that whenever you press the "use" key to open a door, the Doomguy is (off-camera, and all the while keeping his head perfectly still) stretching his arms down to the floor, sticking his fingers under it and heaving it upwards? And the UAC designed all the doors in their bases to be operated in this strange way?


Well, either that, or Doomguy also has above average foot fine motor skills. Of course, it could just be that his BFG scooter comes with a built-in remote opening module for -almost- all UAC doors, kinda like automated highway toll payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Joshy said:

Telekinesis yo

Precisely, but they're not so much raising the door as lowering everything else.

Share this post


Link to post

With its mop. Just like the others and doomguy himself, isn't that right? Maes?

Share this post


Link to post

Cacodemons open doors just like every other thing. By staring directly at the door and saying "USE" as loud as they can.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now