Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glenzinho

All these years later there's still nothing better than Doom

Captain Red said:

Hey TheCastle, Seeing as you've done professional work in modern FPS level design, I was wondering if there was an official taboo on using the colour coded keys? It seems that after Half Life did it's thing, every developer collectedly decided that they don't do the old colour coded key thing any more.

After Half Life and Unreal the entire game industry shifted to that model in its various forms. During the days of find key open door game play critics would pan a game that included such a system for being old and out dated. As budgets and story telling increased for your average AAA FPS the idea of keys to open doors was deliberately avoided.

TheCastle said:

After Half Life and Unreal the entire game industry shifted to that model in its various forms. During the days of find key open door game play critics would pan a game that included such a system for being old and out dated. As budgets and story telling increased for your average AAA FPS the idea of keys to open doors was deliberately avoided.

But its more or less the same, isnt it? Finding keys were replaced by finding lost essential NPC, or retrieving important documents from the bunker before the russian terrorists find them, or any errand that unlocks the next part of the level.

Marcaek said:

Honestly, a BD specific mapset might do away with a lot of the problems it has with levels designed for the standard, vanilla gameplay. On the other hand, Gez is right about the balance changes between versions and a relatively large number of people who won't touch the mod. A well designed, GZDoom based project would be a welcome sight regardless considering they're kinda few and far between in comparison to vanilla wads.

Ill have to take note on the changes, one thing i don't like to see is something that is muddled by too many chefs in the kitchen. However, with that said most of the complaints I see about BD are very general complaints that boil down to it being different. I have yet to ever see anything that does something new and interesting loved by everyone. In fact, typically speaking, the things that push things farthest end up with a proportional number of haters.

Anyway with that said I wish it would be possible to just grab a source port then change a few things to make it dedicated to new content I made then release it all as a single download. That would go against my rule of not making new assets though. :/

doomgargoyle said:

But its more or less the same, isnt it? Finding keys were replaced by finding lost essential NPC, or retrieving important documents from the bunker before the russian terrorists find them, or any errand that unlocks the next part of the level.

Its actually different in one major aspect. When you rely on find key open door game play you are pigeon holed into using that as your main progression model.

A game that attempts to hide the find key open door game play has far more options. The key can be a crank under the water you have to turn. It can be a barrel behind a door. It can a story element or a boss fight.

When you give yourself the power to hide the keys and doors you have everything you can imagine at your fingertips. Other than that its just a progression model.

*shakes head*

I like keys, and would like to see them in games again. They are filling a purpose of an iconic, remarkable and expectable element in a map, spicing up the shooting gameplay in a way which is maybe cliched, but at least for me, fun.