Why does Doom monsters have mechanical limbs?

Well, I don't think any religious text says monsters of Hell have mechanical bodies...

Share this post


Link to post

I believe primary canonical sources such as the games' manuals state that the demons have "adopted human technology" stolen through the portal, be it from the guys UAC sent in during initial experiments dying and leaving behind stuff for them to work on, or very rapidly as they took over the Deimos base after pulling the entire complex into Hell.

As for the Cyberdemon in particular, there's yet another story behind him if you follow the Doom RPG timeline. In it, the Cyberdemon was originally a demon lord known as the Harbinger of Doom. The SS summoned him to a castle during WWII where BJ Blazkowicz managed to blow off his right leg and left arm before sending him back to hell (in Wolfenstein RPG). Later, in Doom RPG, Kronos (a formerly human scientist turned to pure evil, similar to Betruger) merged "human technology with demon flesh to create the ultimate warrior," an obvious reference to the Cyberdemon, who is elsewhere described as "half unfeeling machine, half raging horned devil."

Share this post


Link to post

Fahim - be careful about posting threads with silly, inserious or vague themes, or themes which were discussed before countless times over and over so that nothing new can be said. It will be viewed badly, and you can even end up banned for repeatedly doing it. You can recognize your bad threads as those which were sent to Post Hell.

Well, I'll try to answer anyway. Why are Doom monsters mechanically enhanced? It's because they don't come from the exact Christian hell, but rather from a "Hell dimension", which is a fictive world created for the purposes of making a badass 90's game. Everything's allowed in a fiction, if it helps the game's playability or success. So they have created a Hell which can use both magic powers, and human-like technology.

Share this post


Link to post

But why were the demons subverting everything to things from their own world when they were also utilizing the technology?

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

But why were the demons subverting everything to things from their own world when they were also utilizing the technology?

Assimilation. Their nature is demonic, but they assimilate other worlds to acquire their land and their technology, as well as power and domination over them. Their (half-wild) "civilization" develops this way.


EDIT: I feel sorry for the OP. I hope he gets unlosered soon and just learns from his lesson, because his sin is very minor. Some of the inserious threads for fun are actually fun or lead to an interesting discussion and observations.

Share this post


Link to post

I cant but feel odd and off now...
This person only attempted to fit in and make interesting threads, even if his English seemed to be on the lower end. Now Doomworld loses an innocent new doom fan...
---

The demons absorb and use the technology made by humans, this is also explained very well in doom 3. Maybe you could call it upgrading yourself for war !

Share this post


Link to post

Because it looks cool and it gives something nice and hard for Doomguy's fists to pound against. The end.

Share this post


Link to post

When I was little, I thought Wolf3D bosses like Hans Grosse had prosthetic guns instead of hands. Just look at how the guns are always aligned with the arms, it can give the illusion they're the hands. I guess id went to the logical conclusion by outfitting the Cyberdemon with a fully prosthetic rocket launcher.

Share this post


Link to post

And there we have a possible answer in the form of H.R. Giger.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

As for the Cyberdemon in particular, there's yet another story behind him if you follow the Doom RPG timeline. In it, the Cyberdemon was originally a demon lord known as the Harbinger of Doom. The SS summoned him to a castle during WWII where BJ Blazkowicz managed to blow off his right leg and left arm before sending him back to hell (in Wolfenstein RPG). Later, in Doom RPG, Kronos (a formerly human scientist turned to pure evil, similar to Betruger) merged "human technology with demon flesh to create the ultimate warrior," an obvious reference to the Cyberdemon, who is elsewhere described as "half unfeeling machine, half raging horned devil."


In my headcanon Kronos also did the BFG while trying to mimic the Unmaker

Share this post


Link to post
gemini09 said:

Who banned or "losered" him?

I dunno, some Mod probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Doominator2 said:

I dunno, some Mod probably.

No, it was Ralphis. He hacked Doomworld once again.

Share this post


Link to post
ASD said:

You sure it wasn't the Watch Demons?

Those demons fear him now, they can not release him.
Like in every action movie ever made, the innocent yet punished and tortured guy banned from a normal user session will become a killer mega troll in revenge,
angering and mentally torturing the enemies.

They should fear him now, as they are creating him !

Share this post


Link to post

He got losered for not properly conjugating "do."

FireFish said:

The demons absorb and use the technology made by humans, this is also explained very well in doom 3.

When was this ever explained? I don't remember anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post

They want to show the world how cold their hearts are, so they replace their limbs with cold metal. While metal is cold, which reminds people of terminators and Twilight.

They do this because their bodies are naturally adapted to high temperatures and would be warm to the touch for the chilly denizens of Earth, and that would in turn make them too similar to kitty cats in human eyes (Which are also warm), ruining the scariness of their invasions.

They make it dark just in case that doesn't work, because the dark is extra scary. But cats live in the dark, so perhaps it was all for naught. Maybe the demons are the cats, just as Doomguy is the zombie.

Archvile:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Turkish_Van_Cat.jpg

Revenant:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Kangaroo-rat.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
gemini09 said:

Who banned or "losered" him?

One of my least favorite things about Doomworld are the "silent" bans and loserings. They aren't announced anywhere, there are no explanations, nothing. Sometimes it takes a few days to even notice that your fellow friend was losered for some reason. That's a bad policy in my opinion, people deserve to know what the hell is happening and why doomers disappear from the forum.

Share this post


Link to post

Now that you've pointed it out, I couldn't help but find it slightly funny how it kind of sounds like a conspiracy-theory secret police sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Krispy said:

When was this ever explained? I don't remember anything about it.


the bruiser : a demon with a television mouth.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bruiser.jpg

just like this creature suddenly uses one of those crt like screens from the human base.

the trip to hell shows, they are converting and transporting whatever is in their way. be it having flying tech. parts in mid air next to a magically functioning teleporter...

In doom 2 they write that the demons are converting our reality into theirs which also might imply they will use human technology.

But i admit, they leave a lot to the individual to interpret. Doom is not exactly the pinnacle of story telling.

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

One of my least favorite things about Doomworld are the "silent" bans and loserings. They aren't announced anywhere, there are no explanations, nothing. Sometimes it takes a few days to even notice that your fellow friend was losered for some reason. That's a bad policy in my opinion, people deserve to know what the hell is happening and why doomers disappear from the forum.


Quoted for truth.

I completely agree, and I'm ready to walk out of these entire forums if this is what I'm actually part of.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now