Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Doom on an ATM

Not surprising, since ATMs contain ordinary PCs showing a dumbed-down UI to the user (nowadays, it would just be a web page with restricted controls). Unless it was a VERY OLD ATM, with a monochromatic CRT screen..that'd be interesting ;-)

Wasn't Super Jamie an ATM maintenance technician? He could tell us more for sure.

If you want to withdraw your money, you must beat the Cyberdemon in E2M8 on Ultra-Violence.

Suitepee said:

If you want to withdraw your money, you must beat the Cyberdemon in E2M8 on Ultra-Violence.

Eh, Not to hard.

Doominator2 said:

Eh, Not to hard.

Tell that to the poor grandma trying to withdraw her pension money :-(

I can imagine Anonymous undertaking nighttime commando raids in shopping malls, installing Doom on every ATM and POS terminal they can gain access to.

I think I glimpsed WinXP's Bliss background at a couple of points in the video, so the biggest challenge for this port is probably decoding the keypad.

codeslicer said:

What I want to see is Doom on a Toaster.

Well, nothing prevents you from loading Doom on any of these:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/feature-computers-made-from-toasters

Sadly, I was disappointed that no toasters with an actual Doom-capable hardware, color screen etc. are mass produced sold. Maybe with a few fancy buttons and a small B&W LCD screen, but nothing even remotely Doom-capable.

Not even "Toasters with WiFi" resulted in an actual commercial product. Fo' shame, 'tis 2014, we should be able to browse the internet and play Doom on our toasters, if we wanted to, amirite?

That's nothing special. I work as an ATM serviceman and all the damn things, be it NCR or Diebold, run Windows XP.

So the challenge must be based around the input / controllers because these ATM's seem to be, or are running windows XP...
I wonder how these ATM's survive the EOL of XP.

FireFish said:

They either run the embedded/media center editions (which are still supported), or are simply not upgraded at all, running special/fixed configuration versions. Ever heard of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"?

FireFish said:

So the challenge must be based around the input / controllers because these ATM's seem to be, or are running windows XP...

They all have ps/2 ports so you can easily plug kb/m into it and play whatever. The specs are ususally not so great so Counter-Strike 1.6 @ software rendering is probably the most you can get out of it.

Ah, so its just a full blown low-end computer of the type end 1990's and early 2000's... Never knew old ATM's functioned like that.