Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mapping Dream Teams

There are lots of dream combinations that would be great to see, like a Sandy Petersen map layout adorned with architecture and megatexturing by Ed.

Spends year and a half in a detail obsessed depravity. Spends two weeks on game-play and pushes it out the door.

Gets drafted for gameplay related work.

Seriously, if I ever finish another map, I'm sub-contracting out all gameplay elements.

A great mapping team would have been Phobosdeimos(RIP) collabing with Joe to design layouts + monster placement... and 40oz to smooth the maps out and add detailing because I trust him to preserve (and even add) to the sense of fun, quirky progression, and old schoolish charm of the original designs while making them a little bit easier on the eyes... and then Jimmy to replace the Green Day midi with something better.

I feel like my top three picks would be: a Mechadon + Lainos collaboration for a bizarrely fleshed-out setting that would take an hour to wade through, a cannonball + SteveD collaboration for an "aren't hitscanners and open layouts cool?" pain-in-the-ass complex that's very Ultimate Doom friendly, and an essel + Xaser combo for a beautifully designed & beautifully executed vanilla-compatible adventure that's a technical marvel. Outside of that, lock stewboy + Jimmy in a room to craft some damn catchy music, and hell, force Demon of the Well, kmxexii + Suitepee to lose their Doom Builder virginity together on some gimmicky 1024-project... actually scratch that latter concept, I'm not sure any of us are ready for what would result from that unholy union...

Id like to see a massive, dark and evil techbase map by Brad Spencer and Erik Alm. Starry night sky obligatory.

Ive always wanted to make a map with ToD but I fear our styles would clash. Drown in Blood was, for me, the 'original' slaughter wad and I love the often unconventional use of textures throughout. It's a very unique set even to this day.

I'd also like to do some more DM mapping with a 'dream team' but its nearly impossible to find others who are interested.. Captain Toenail has made some excellent maps for wads me and the_miano were working on, but for whatever reason most of it never got finished.. I need to rectify that.

Oh, of course I'd like to work alongside Alm or even Romero, if we're talking about stuff that will never happen. That would be awesome, two of the cleanest Doom designers around. Nothing has ever topped the original Scythe, far as I'm concerned.

With Eris Falling, maybe. You're both relative beginners but capable mappers.

joe-ilya said:

With yourself, you haven't made much maps to give you a teammate, so I'd say "FellowZdoomer".

lol

I don't like joe-ilya's posts like that. I see them as unhelpful and disrespectful, and not funny. I wanted to tell him in my previous post to cool down the negativism, but I edited it out eventually. Now I just tell you, joe-ilya - please don't get an impression that speaking/acting like that is cool. I think you should not continue it.

Superluigieth1 said:

Just a question, who would I be best working with?

It depends on how well you map. Like for example if you are familiar with mapping but not scripting or anything, then you be best with someone like myself.

nxGangrel said:

familiar with mapping but not scripting or anything

I'm a mapper and scripter, but my ACS is shit and I know the basics of C. But, I'm good at batch.

I can't script if saved my life. Thankfully I can design maps pretty well. I've made tons of maps for the past three years but oddly I've never released any. I would like to change that soon.

Acs is fairly easy once you get the hang of it, but you gotta have every detail of what you wanna do inside your head (like a fake elevator that i did to exit my level: door closes, 3 seconds of delay, minor shaking, play sound and texture scroll up) and you gotta have an script event list to make it more easier.

Magikal (RIP), Time of Death, Insane Gazebo and Skillsaw with a MIDI by Stuart Rynn.
For DM: Doom Kid, Toke (RIP) and Brian Vannata with a MIDI by Weekle.

Lee Szymanski, Brad Spencer and Anthony Sotho for a few collaboration tech maps. I need more fun techbases with clean designs and clever layouts that wrap around themselves nicely and use height variation as one of the means to achieve this, good fights etc.... and that also don't get too pretentious with unnecessary fluff.

Joe and Springy, we definitely need to rough out some more DM stuff, zero fluff and all gameplay. I haven't been doing as much deathmatch stuff lately, but I do have some SP stuff in the works.

DeathevokatioN said:

I need more fun techbases with clean designs and clever layouts that wrap around themselves nicely and use height variation as one of the means to achieve this

Have you tried tdevil2.wad? I made it about a year ago, it's not strictly tech but I almost always design maps that wrap around themselves with plenty of little holes and windows that let you see what's to come. It's vanilla too, you might get some enjoyment from it.

Doomkid said:

Have you tried tdevil2.wad? I made it about a year ago, it's not strictly tech but I almost always design maps that wrap around themselves with plenty of little holes and windows that let you see what's to come. It's vanilla too, you might get some enjoyment from it.

I haven't, but now you've got me interested... where can I find it? :)

I'm surprised more mappers haven't said their dream team would be them paired with whoever they most want to work with. As I know I'm crap for collaborative efforts I don't think I'd put myself in any dream team, mind... Maybe if it was a SoD style arrangement rather than collaborating on a map it might work, although whose style I'd complement, I don't know. Ha, maybe I've just answered my own first sentence.

I think Vader and Ed together could do something mind blowing in GZDoom, but it would take years to be completed.

Memfis teaming up with somebody else who is quick to make maps, like valkiriforce, could get us that Memfis megawad (after a fashion) that we've all been clamouring for.

Phobus said:

I'm surprised more mappers haven't said their dream team would be them paired with whoever they most want to work with.

Personally I'd love to be paired with Eternal, and we all know how likely that is. :P

Phobus said:

I'm surprised more mappers haven't said their dream team would be them paired with whoever they most want to work with.

Hmmm. My dream team would be me and... Someone.