Sarge
User Control Panel | Member List | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Blogs | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Could this be the actual toy gun used for the BFG?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

Who knows... you decide!

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:30 #
Kaiser is offline Twitter account Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:31 #
Csonicgo is offline Twitter account Tumblr Youtube Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
raymoohawk

holy shit! i think you found it, it even looks like one the textures too

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:31 #
raymoohawk is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
is not the cake

raymoohawk said:
holy shit! i think you found it, it even looks like one the textures too

Yeah, there's definitely some TEKWALL origins in there! Looks similar to Memfis' avatar :)

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:33 #
esselfortium is offline Twitter account Youtube || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon
Forum Staple

Yup, there's no doubt that its the gun used for the BFG and some of the TEKWALL textures! The bendy pipe bits also look like they were used for the exit door as well. Hopefully someone can figure out who made this toy gun.

Last edited by Mechadon on Apr 30 2015 at 20:44

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:35 #
Mechadon is online now Twitter account Youtube Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Da Werecat
Forum Staple

Could there be more toys of this kind? I can't find some of the TEKWALL details here.

By the way, even Quake has some textures derived from this source.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:37 #
Da Werecat is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

Found the guy who took the photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28773...in/photostream/

Now we need to find out if he can license the photo to the wiki!

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:37 #
Csonicgo is offline Twitter account Tumblr Youtube Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Linguica
Badministrator

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:40 #
Linguica is offline Twitter account Youtube || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon
Forum Staple

Da Werecat said:
Could there be more toys of this kind? I can't find some of the TEKWALL details here.

This is the first bit that jumped out at me.

It would be interesting to know if there were more toy guns like this that they used for some of the graphics.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:42 #
Mechadon is online now Twitter account Youtube Twitch || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Catoptromancy

I see an exit door, the big pipe texture, and a tech lamp.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:46 #
Catoptromancy is online now || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

Catoptromancy said:

Yep, I see 'em now! Anyone up to making some examples?

Old Post Apr 30 2015 20:50 #
Da Werecat
Forum Staple

Where's the exit door?

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:01 #
Da Werecat is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scifista42
Why don't I have a custom title by now!?

Very nice find!

Da Werecat said:
Where's the exit door?

See the top-down-view picture upside down and you'll see an outline of the exit door at the top.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:05 #
scifista42 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Amazing! (no sarcasm)

There can't be any doubt about it IMO.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:09 #
Enjay is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Registered just to make two posts

Excellent discovery. Is there a proper name for this toy gun?

Catoptromancy said:

go north

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:10 #
fraggle is online now Twitter account Youtube Twitch Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
buttspit
Forum Regular

Holy motherfucking shit, I've had that exact same toy gun for over 10 years, and still probably have it stored away.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:29 #
buttspit is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Da Werecat
Forum Staple

scifista42 said:
Very nice find!See the top-down-view picture upside down and you'll see an outline of the exit door at the top.

Like that?

I dunno, I don't see it.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:40 #
scifista42
Why don't I have a custom title by now!?

I do see the outline. I guess they modified it by pasting other parts of the toy over it. Or I'm wrong and the real EXITDOOR is elsewhere.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:46 #
scifista42 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

buttspit said:
Holy motherfucking shit, I've had that exact same toy gun for over 10 years, and still probably have it stored away.

If you can find out who made it, please let us know. I've been looking for that information since this thread.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:52 #
Da Werecat
Forum Staple

I can see parts of it on WALL24_1:

But I don't see the same parts on the gun.

Oh, and since I made a big mockup - here it is.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:53 #
Csonicgo

Da Werecat said:
I can see parts of it on the tekwall:

But I don't see the same parts on the gun.

Oh, and since I made a big mockup - here it is.

there are two sides to the gun! The other side has a big speaker grille that you see in the right side of WALL24_1. If I can get the other side image, we'll really be in business.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 21:56 #
Doominator2

Pretty cool that they got their textures from designs on toys.

Old Post Apr 30 2015 22:38 #
Doominator2 is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

scifista42 said:
Very nice find!See the top-down-view picture upside down and you'll see an outline of the exit door at the top.

There's no top-down view, it's a mirrored view of the left side. I don't think the gun has two handles (each with their own trigger) going off both sides...

Old Post Apr 30 2015 23:28 #
Gez is online now || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Snakes
Forum Staple

I'll be goddamned - what a cool discovery!

Old Post Apr 30 2015 23:51 #
Snakes is offline Twitter account || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
KevinHEZ

A guy called Claude Freeman on the doomworld facebook group found the name of the manufacturer: Creatoy, and posted a picture of the other side of the toy:

And here's the exit door:

Old Post May 1 2015 01:16 #
KevinHEZ is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

That Claude Freeman be me.

AND - to make it even better, there are THREE manufacturers to this gun: Creatoy, Royal Condor, and Fuyaco! What a mess! It was also sold as the "Roargun".

Old Post May 1 2015 01:17 #
raymoohawk

this is so awesome!

Old Post May 1 2015 01:19 #
raymoohawk is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon
Forum Staple

I just want to point out that the vent detail on the TEKWALL texture (also Memphis's avatar) can be clearly seen at the top back part of the gun. Very cool! Now I want to try and find one :P

Old Post May 1 2015 01:19 #
Da Werecat
Forum Staple

It's not the same toy, by the way. The silhouette is different.

But it aligns even better with the BFG sprite.

Old Post May 1 2015 01:31 #
Linguica
Badministrator

oh hai

Old Post May 1 2015 01:36 #
Linguica is offline Twitter account Youtube || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote