Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

I liked Doom before it was mainstream

esselfortium said:

Well. Uh. This escalated quickly. Can we please not be that kind of community?

Everything he's posted has a inflammatory nature to be honest.

Anyway, I don't mind the PCG article. The exposure is welcomed. The other article has some pretty strange levels showcased.

Constructive criticism is fine and people should be able to handle legitimate criticisms with their work since that just comes with the territory of posting content for the world to see. Just as long as everyone agrees to try not to be douchy about it. There's a fine line between criticism and just flaming.

Tarnsman said:

[Doomguy777]DOOM is about a white man fighting against hell, Doomguy must be a white man because he's a real man and not some pussy nancy boy[/Doomguy777]

My next mod is to make the doomguy a random gender and race every time you play.

Flesh420 said:

This might get out of control. I foresee hordes of noobs clogging the creative-wad pipe. Which would be AWESOME! I see new people all excited about their first maps, almost begging people to play their second map, and it fills me with excitement. I remember when I learned to map and how my excitement.... all those exclamation points.
A few days ago I saw it with two noobs, all excited and stuff, asking people to check out their latest map in some weird off-topic thread. Updating their original map thread with various fixes because they feel like a game designer. It's pretty damn cool to reflect on. I just hope they're resilient to the more stern criticisms around here. Some people criticize rudely, perhaps unintentionally, maybe because critics don't get much love :(, and it could be a turnoff to sensitive or young noobs.

But hell, D00M isn't the place for pussies or queers. Getdafukoutteh

This will be fun to critique the hell out of their stuff on /idgames/ ! Also what the hell is with Brutal Doom being mentioned on one of those links? Why must that mod be brought up on every other Doom news article? It seems PC Gamer obviously doesn't scour the ZDoom projects subforum or ModDB mods sections enough...

I remember all these years playing Doom, and nobody I personally knew either never heard of the game or they outright hated it. It was either, you can't look up or down, there's no story or the graphics suck. I don't get it, but oh well.

Haha that first article.

DESTRUCTIVE [tech/tool]
INNOVATES in [amusing but ultimately shallow way]
over OH-SO-BORING [more standard stuff].
Also, BOOK REFERENCE [because books are smart and shit]
to support a larger point about LIFE [games must be deep, given this narrow definition of deep]

I think I got hipster bingo.

It's interesting in a way to think about disruptive tools: it shouldn't be that hard to make a hipster article generator. For the book/deep parts you can pick a household name and plagiarize one of the numerous analysis. OH-SO-BORING always refers to the averages, the masses, so an equally generic, dismissive statement will do. DESTRUCTIVE and INNOVATION are harder for obvious reasons, got to find some new material, got to comment on it. You could stay purposefully vague on the benefits of that innovation, by blathering about the effect it has on the author as opposed to describing what it actually does. This happens often enough in human-made articles. Then pick the name of the thing from a bot crawling community news for whatever game your article is covering, and there you go?

inb4 Maes tells me in so many ways why this wouldn't work.

Someone who slaps rainbow vomit on Doom 4 screenshots and calls them "unfiltered".

You know who you are.

I don't so much understand the concept of being a hipster fully, I mean you get called a hipster for liking a game after it is cool just the same as liking it before it was cool. I'm pretty much confused here.

Avoozl said:

I don't so much understand the concept of being a hipster fully, I mean you get called a hipster for liking a game after it is cool just the same as liking it before it was cool. I'm pretty much confused here.

A hipster is someone who likes things that aren't popular. With Doom, that's kind of hard to be a hipster with, unless you're a time traveler.

Avoozl said:

I asked because I red "Doom Hipster" at J.P. LeBreton twitter description.

Nevertheless, I still don't understand fully the concept of hipster and why it's a trend.

I always find it silly, when people brag about being the first to like something before it becomes popular. >.>

I remember someone writing a blog about playing minecraft in it's alpha stage & quitting once it became popular. Telling the readers to enjoy it & that the writer was moving onto greener pastures(Great games that aren't popular). :-/

If you like something, who cares if it becomes mainstream? Just enjoy it for what it is, I say. ;-)

Hipsters aren't people who wallow in obscurity, they are people who feel the need to tell everyone that they are

esselfortium said:

Well. Uh. This escalated quickly. Can we please not be that kind of community?

It really didn't. I don't know how you could read that big paragraph I wrote about excitement for new blood within the D00M community and zoom to a sarcastic sentence at the very bottom.

Silly goof.

Great reads! I guess we won't have a "Doom is dead" post for a while. Well deserved praise for the hardest to kill community out there.

Job said:

I noticed both articles asked, "why Doom?"

They kinda answer their own question though - the short route from having an idea to being provided with a very playable result.

Jon said:

My next mod is to make the doomguy a random gender and race every time you play.

Don't leave anyone out! Can I play as a Nazi Kossak zombie on horseback?

kmxexii said:

the more people playing doom, the better
the more people making doom, the better

The even better... more people playtesting the doom that people made.

Glaice said:

what the hell is with Brutal Doom being mentioned on one of those links? Why must that mod be brought up on every other Doom news article?

Although I haven't played it yet, only watched a few fatality vids, I think Brutal Doom's praise is deserved, particularily since it has beaten Doom 4 to the punch, even if only in the perfection that is inglorious low-rez.

mouldy said:

Hipsters aren't people who wallow in obscurity, they are people who feel the need to tell everyone that they are

...That they're what?

Avoozl said:

As long as they actually like it and weren't just trying to blindly follow the herd. Liking something that happens to be popular is all well and good as long as you decided you like it on your own and aren't just being influenced by what other people think. That's a true non-conformist, whether something is popular or not makes absolutely no difference because they like what they like. For example, if someone insists they hate everything about Doom, then acts like it's the greatest thing ever once it gets popular, that person appears fake.

roadworx said:

...That they're what?

wallowing in obscurity.

I too dislike how the word "hipster" is being used to refer to anyone who simply has a different personal taste than mainstream majority of people, instead of a person who deliberately bases his own image (out of principle) on having a different personal taste than mainstream majority of people.

The proof that this article is written by a hipster is that it's written by a poseur. Look at the screenshots. They aren't screenshots taken by the article's author, they're screenshots stolen from the original thread about jmickle's tools. The guy saw the screenshots, thought "cool", and went on to write. He didn't actually try the tool to generate his own randomized level and take his own screenshots.

I enjoy Doom regardless of the level of mainstream. I remember playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 based off of the Doom Legacy Engine back in the day. It is a great game in it's own right and I still enjoy a Spot of Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch every now and again. Heck, I still play Doom64EX. But I won't do Brutal Doom because Doom is already violent enough as it is.

Long live the Awesome.

KOManiacJim said:

I enjoy Doom regardless of the level of mainstream. I remember playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 based off of the Doom Legacy Engine back in the day. It is a great game in it's own right and I still enjoy a Spot of Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch every now and again. Heck, I still play Doom64EX. But I won't do Brutal Doom because Doom is already violent enough as it is.

Long live the Awesome.

Long live the Doom Hipsters!

Piper Maru said:

I remember all these years playing Doom, and nobody I personally knew either never heard of the game or they outright hated it. It was either, you can't look up or down, there's no story or the graphics suck. I don't get it, but oh well.

It was like that badly from about 2000-2009 or so, then the whole "retro is cool again" thing started and people were actually willing to give the game a fair chance.

It's nice that, in the last 5ish years, showing someone the game is AT LEAST met with "oh wow, this looks pretty cool" rather than those "FUK DIS PIXELATED SHIT" reactions. If I'm being dead honest, Minecraft was a pretty major help to Doom regarding the "mainstream view" as until Minecraft made pixels "cool again", it was always the same bullshit about the game being ugly or too old or whatever in the BM (before Minecraft) era.

Many hardcore Doomers will deny it but Minecraft played a massive role in "bringing retro back". And I'm glad it did, it's nice that new players are still having fun with Doom, and not shying away just because of the graphics.