Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

How did you initially get into Doom mapping / modding / coding / etc?

This question applies to anyone who has at least once mapped for Doom, modded it, contributed to programming some utility related to Doom, made graphics / sounds / music / etc for Doom, and/or participated in other creative activity related to Doom editing. Not just knowing about Doom, not just playing Doom, not just talking about it, not just reviewing wads, not just making fan art or writing fan fics, not just taking part in an organization of Doom players - I'm asking about Doom editing here.

Me: I had made my first custom levels in The Incredible Machine and Jetpack already in my childhood - just for fun, never even caring about them being well playable. Many years later, I've started being interested in programming (since 2010). Rather quickly, game programming became my dream. I found out that C++ isn't very suitable for beginners to make games in: I only managed to make a CMD-based maze game in C++, and a half-functional attempt to display a Windows application window with a plain text in it. I've discovered the Flash platform and made simple (crappy) attempts at making Flash games. I've been making everything from scratch (never used any template), and this entertained me for about a year. One of my poor efforts was an attempt at making a 3D-perspective game akin to Doom (Two screenshots for lulz! Never shown them before to anyone.). I've been launching Doom2 MAP01 in DOSBox to take reference from, both for the room's shape and game behaviour. Only around that time, I discovered Doom source ports (Skulltag), custom wads, and a Czech site Doom5.cz where I've read about Doom editing in WadAuthor. I thought this Doom editing would be much more fun and the results potentially much better than my Flash abominations. I've been looking for WadAuthor on the internet, but I've accidentally discovered Doom Builder 2. And that's how my Doom editing career started. I've been making crappy first maps in Skulltag format, later in Hexen format, and rather extensively reading ZDoom wiki for reference. I've also started frequenting Doomworld around that time, but I didn't register on the forums until about half a year later. I didn't share any of my maps with anyone until MUCH later. Well, that's it.

How about you?

Mine's a three-phase story, really, so I'll try and keep it short.

Initially, when introduced to Doom aged 3 or 4, I thought it was the best thing ever and wanted to know how they made the levels (being into Lego at that age, I seemed to assume all the best things let you take them apart). Sure enough, my dad found a few WADs online and got hold of a copy of DEU and threw together a couple of test maps just to get a feel for it and then showed me the basics. Cue 32-sided splat-mark shaped maps suffering from "things everywhere" syndrome.

A few of those and that would've been the end of it, but for Hank Leukart's Hacker's Guide to Doom, which was given to me via my Dad by one of his mates who liked that I was making Doom maps (my dad was sharing my horrifically oversized and overpopulated creations with his mates at work) and thought this would help. It became my Bible and gave me a load of WADs and DEU II 5.21 (albeit a version that didn't know about the Doom II specific flats, oddly). I worked through all of the lessons, read all the hints and tips and ended up putting together the maps that became the "Old Map Compilation" WAD in my Pre-'13 grab bag. I then started on Scourge.

I think I was 12-13 at this point and was losing interest in the mapping as it felt like I was the only doing it. Then I discovered the internet, the Doom community, ZDoom and, a couple of years after that, ZDCMP#1 (which in turn inspired me to take up ZDoom mapping whole-heartedly, learning scripting, sprite art (poorly) and more). Scourge got finished and I started to become the mapper I am today. You've not managed to be rid of me since ;)

From 1998 thru to 2001 I would type "doom online" in Google... Or heck, probably Yahoo! back then, and would just browse through all those "forever lost" Doom WAD websites on geocities and whatnot. I found a lot of cool WADs this way, but in 2001 I finally found Doom Connector (which was still new at the time.)

Through that Hellbent (then Grotug) and his buddy r helped me set up ZDoom at the young age of 9. A few weeks later after being stoked that I could finally play online, I became friends with DoomRampage (author of the infamous DRE) and he sent me WadAuthor. I made a lot of glitchy, messy maps back then, but loved every moment. I've been mapping on and off ever since.

My first successful editing experience was because of Wadauthor and the Alchemy book; prior to that I tried pretty much every book and editor available with no luck.

After giving up on one of my old Half Life 2 / Quake Map projects, I decided to try mapping for doom. I have to admit that it was a lot easier than making a map for Half Life 2 or Quake because you don't really have to worry about lighting that much. All you have to do is to adjust the brightness levels of sectors here and there and you get some decent lighting in a doom map.
Still though, looking at my earlier works kills me from inside.

I actually started making maps for games with Portal 2 back in 2012. After a while, I basically decided that it was too time consuming (I'm not all that patient, haha) and switched to Doom mapping in very late 2013.

I always loved building houses and buildings with Lego bricks. I built cities with restaurants, gas stations, police stations, etc. My friends liked building with Lego too bit none of them liked it as much as me.

My first video game that had an editor was Jetpack because it came with the game. My cousins and i made several hundred levels with it because it was so fast and easy. Most of them were joke maps and remixes of the maps that came with the game, like the pacman mazes and marble worm stuff.

The second game I made maps for was Starcraft. The campaign editor that came with the game was pretty simple and I made a few dozen UMS maps for it that people played online with me. None of them really took off though. One was even based on doom!

The third game was a freeware top down military shooter called Meteor by James Bunting, which also came packaged with its own level editor, and editors for other things in the game allowing you to quickly make your own TCs. I made several hundred maps for that game too, plus 3 TCs, my first one called World War 3, a severely historically and politically inaccurate game (where Belgium, Brazil, and Cuba are the world super powers for some reason) lots of obvious influences from Starcraft, and Command and Conquer Generals. I made a Halo inspired TC after that that is kinda silly now that I look back on it,but I thought it was really epic and artsy at the time. My best mapping for meteor took place in the 90+ map campaign I made for that TC. Another TC I made was called Mankind, which is a bit more fun to play and is highly Doom/Quake inspired. Though I only made one episode out of 3 for it. I never got around to making the other stuff I wanted to make for it before my first few sectors I made in Doombuilder actually started to look good and were worth sharing with the world.

Its weird to think about how much time I had on my hands one decade ago. Holy shit. Adolescense must have been really boring.

First piece of music I ever wrote was like five years ago. I'm not entirely sure why I started making MIDIs, but when I did (nearly 2½ years ago now, bloody hell) that piece of music was the first thing I made. I posted it here in blogs, Jimmy found it and thought it was kinda cool for a first attempt, and asked if I was interested in contributing to the Plutonia MIDI Pack, which had just started up.

I'm still not known as a musician here :P

Before I played Doom I would draw top down views of my own Unreal Tournament levels and imagined parts of my house like my parent's old couch as a gameplay area for both UT and even Street Fighter. This was before I even played both mentioned games and I was probably about five or so. Skip to 2010, I stumbled upon Doom Builder a year after I first played Doom, though I don't remember how I found it, I tried it out.

I didn't know how to use it properly and I didn't really make anything till I was about 12. And while I didn't really use DB during that period of time, I still drew Doom and wolfenstein weapon sprites and made my own with my shitty drawings. It wasn't till 2013 when I was 13 I made my own somewhat decent maps and I already wanted to make my own Wads/mods.

I find it so cool how after a decade of fantasizing of video games and creating my own I finally get at least a little taste of creating my own content. And I still fantasize about creating my own games beyond what I can make for already existing games.

When I was around 5, my dad showed me doom after he was at my friends' house with me and my friends' dad showed it to him. I think. I was 5. It took until my dad got me a laptop for college and I was looking through my dad's old computer game collection to get into doom again, but I quickly found doomworld, and after a year or two of lurking and downloading maps, I started to make my own.

I was always into trying to make a game. I did not try all the tools that came with games, but i remember that i got my hands on some editing tool for DooM back in the 90s, cant remember what it was though. But i gave up fast. Don't remember why, didnt even make my first map.

I also tried the editor that came with Duke Nukem. But that was really more playing around, since you could make impossible spaces with it, that was so fascinating for me.

After that i tried my hands on different other things. RPG Maker, the thing that came with Half-Life, and so on.

There are two souls in me regarding this:
I want to make something resembling a game, and i want to tell a story. I think for some reason they are both counterproductive to each other - at least for me. Best way for me to do both in one project would be the RPG Maker or the Adventure Game Studio. I might do that one time.

So what i lacked all these years was FOCUS. Not only regarding what i just told you, but with my life as a whole.

A few weeks ago i decided to focus myself on DooM. I will always go back to DooM, no matter what. I will make something in it. And that is what lead me here.

The Storytelling part of me will be satisfied with cutscenes i will try to make in the Dragon Age Editor. I own Fraps and Sony Vegas, so i will be able to make some kind of movie when i find time for that. But as i said before, i need to focus. So those tools are there, waiting for me to get used.

And they will have to wait pretty long now, since i swore i will focus on DooM. My goal is to make at least a full fledged megawad one day. Actual modding is an optional goal, but functional connected maps that are also fun and generate some "thumbs up" from the community for me is what i want to achieve.

I know that something like this is not the first step. The first step is learning, trying out, getting one map together, learning and trying out some more. So i need to set smaller goals and take everything step by step. And here i am now. Hanging out with you guys, watching doombuilder tutorials, playing a lot of DooM, and trying out stuff.

I already kind of dream about seeing my nickname somehwere in the Cacowards some day. I know that might not happen because there are so many hard working talents out there that provide us stuff thats so good and so fun. But who knows? Maybe i can read my name some day there. And that is a dream. And if it doesnt come true it is a really good motivation to still try. :)

The joys of discovering DEEP, some archaic DOS version from nineteen-ninety-fuck. "Holy shit! I can make my own Doom maps!"

Started off like most, by editing IWAD maps to make them harder (and was generally stuck at this point because the initial version of DEEP I got my hands on had a faulty nodebuilder, and I had no internet access of my own back then).

After getting a newer/better version of DEEP, I slowly moved on to building little setpieces and nonsense based on real place layouts. Things went on from there and now I build stupidly oversized shit that nobody ends up seeing.

i wanted to make doom style sprites, becausei had recently started playig doom again. i googled doom sprites and stumbled upon the spriting carnival, wich is incidently the best thread evar, and that is how i first found out about the active doom modding scene. i later read eriance's tutorial, wich i found exteremely useful, even with the images gone. so i started frankenspriting wacky ideas like a pinkie with a wang on its face and the skullkey monster. later i thought i needed a project that i could focus on and learn from so i attempted to perform gender reassinment surgery on the D64 demunz, altough only the cyberdemon did a full transition. since the other beasties where uncooperative i soon lost interest. i later got interested on zkart and did 3 sprite sets for the project (baron, pinkie, dopefish). participating in this (unreleased) project was very fun because it felt like a team, and that's what motivated me to try and participate in teh doom community

joepallai said:

My first successful editing experience was because of Wadauthor and the Alchemy book; prior to that I tried pretty much every book and editor available with no luck.

Mine was with the aid of Dr Sleep's guide for DoomBuilder, though the 3D Game Alchemy book also came in handy.

GreyGhost said:

Mine was with the aid of Dr Sleep's guide for DoomBuilder, though the 3D Game Alchemy book also came in handy.

Dr. Sleep's guide was invaluable to me when I came back to Doom about 5 years ago, it's really well written.

Around 2009 I found out about ZDoom and Skulltag and was COMPLETELY overwhelmed by the amount of custom content there was. I quickly became friends with this one guy on skulltag and he introduced me to Realm 667. Then I got DecX(yeah) and just sort of started poking around with the code of Realm667 monsters and ZBlood(I was addicted to Blood at the time), but I was mostly clueless. I have also sprited since when I was 10, so I started spriting for Doom aswell. All of my sprites sucked at first, but with enough practice I started doing some decent franken-spriting. Eventually when I became more Decorate-savy I changed to XWE and made a TERRIBLE ZQuake ripoff mod. Years went by, and I started using Slade, became properly Decorate literate thanks to the ZDoom wiki and I began doing some sprites completely from scratch. I still, however, fail hard at mapping to this day.
Although I love scripting and spriting, I rarely work on projects. The only full-blown solo project I ever completed was this one Quake resource mod for Zdoom(a good one, not the crappy one I mentioned earlier). Most of the time I just sprite for friend's wads, and recently to the free iwad projects.

I've tried mapping but I don't have the time or patience to become good at it. I've loved Doom since I first played it as a child in the late 90's. My dad also had a floppy disk original commander keen 4 that I played while sitting on his lap. Something about Doom's gritty and dark atmosphere continues to appeal to me all these years later. Same with Doom 3 and the first Dead Space. Demons, blood and shotguns. That's what life is all about really.

I first got into editing Doom with a trial or something of DeepSea. What I mainly did was increase the amount of monsters the final room of E1m5 in Chex Quest 2 not long after it first came out in '97. As recounted in the "How did you first get into Doom" thread, I started with getting Chex Quest out of a cereal box.

I'm guessing the original CQ release were an older version of doom since I would put on god mode and noclip and then run between flemoids, causing them to strike each other with their melee attacks and begin infighting. I'd run through the whole boss room like that and watch the brawl go down. Following on that, I discovered the Doom Legacy wad Doom Wars by Martin Collberg, and enjoyed playing that with my brother so much that a couple years later I first embarked on learning Decorate in order to create ZDoom Wars so others could know the raw joy of watching pixely things wallop the heck out of each other en masse.

Also, no offense to Doom Wars, but Cacodemons were super imbalanced at that low a points value. Like, come on, wow.

Nowadays I've learned that now that I have some patience, I'm not shabby at sprite work and have begun making custom edits and such for my wads. Still not a mapper beyond minor adjustments and my growing ACS knowledge. I've really done little other than make tiny changes to ZDoom Wars maps for gameplay purposes.

I don't have a cool backstory...

I used to map for Timesplitters 2 with the Map Builder that game had when I was very young and I adored making maps. This got me into wanting to make videogames. I used to have pages and pages of those 70 sheet notebook things filled with ideas on games I wanted to make.

So nothing really happened Doom-wise until I was reading about something on DoomWiki, I don't remember, and then there was a link to PWADS.

And then I got into making maps again.

I've already told it like a thousand times, but here I go again.

In 2004, I received two spiral A4 notebooks for future use. One of them is red and black striped in a Zebra pattern and is checkered, whilst the other is lined and blue, though I forgot its outer pattern, but I clearly remember having Garfield comics cut out of the local newspaper and sticking them into it in autumn 2005. The former notebook was used way earlier (about autumn 2004) for my own special purposes, as I had a childhood flame of creating my own interpretations for - initially - Wolfenstein 3D. I wasted no less than 60 blank pages of the notebook for sketching all-orthogonal labirynths and mazes in the restriction of the page boundaries, thus representing them as Wolf3D maps and even writing certain amounts under the finished sketches standing for enemy count on all difficulties, also secret and treasure count.

Then I did all 60, most of which - with a bigger emphasis on the second half - succeeded to be utterly ludricous and nowhere near the standards of the true Wolf3D maps created by id. Then I started drawing maps for Doom, clearly distinguished by the presence of non-orthogonal lines.

By about summer 2005, I finished 36 bunches of lines making up rooms, doors, height differences and other means of mapsector relation (indexed from E4M1 to E7M9, but it's, well, another story - check the second part of my signature for further details), then I just took the notebook away and had it resting for 4 entire years. Then, in June 2009, I had a quick inspiration sparkle coming from literally nowhere and downloaded the Doom95 pack with all the four main IWAD's. First I tried the originals out, then I came accross the Final Doom expansion - mainly Plutonia -, and seeing the completely-new-for-me maps, which had the charm of novelty for me, gave me the instant desire to create my own Doom, which I've already planned as a cocky 12 years old.

So, not long after, I acquired Doom Builder 2. I also tried it out instant and already felt the power of productivity in my fingers typing on the keyboard and clicking the mouse buttons. Despite the fact that my first ever started map consisted of only a 3-way intersection full of STARTAN, able to be fit into a 256x256 square, containing one secret/ambush closet, an exit and a quite half-assed sign for it. The second attempt of mine was a cheap E1M6 replica attempt which disappeared from my disk for no apparent reason despite the fact that I clearly remember having saved it. Well, nevermind.

My initial irritation vanished without trace when my red and black notebook, quite worn after a rainy encounter in my backpack, came to my mind. I successfully tracked it down, opened and started mapping my first ever completed map without hesitation. It had blandly designed rooms, aesthetical flaws that would have driven even Sandy Petersen nuts, illogical flow and powerups spread all over for free reach, while the few secrets contained only mediocre treats - but it existed, it was my creature, my initial contribution to the endless variety of Doom maps expanding day by day.

Since the 6 years that passed by, many and many overhauls were done to the map, but the premier setup with all its flaws still haunts me from the far past. 2009 was the year my life took a deep emotional fall, and I know that if I haven't sacrificed all my social life on a blatant friendship fault with a girl for a generally nolife hobby that takes up most my free time, this map, along with several others, would still exist only on concept.

(Why do I always talk a lot of bullshit?)

In 2007, I was at my grandmother's house, as were some of my family. In the family room my cousin was sitting on a laptop, playing what turned out to be MAP28 of Doom 2. Having never seen a 2.5D shooter at the time (the earliest shooter I'd ever seen up til then was Half-Life) I was instantly fascinated, and asked him for a copy of it (turned out to be Doom Collector's Edition) on a CD.

I enjoyed Doom 2 but what really interested me was a PWAD that happened to be there called NIRVANA.WAD, which had a strange custom map and, what were to my 10-year old self, mildly amusing sound effects. By this time it was 2008. I started searching around on the internet and ended up on Doomworld, and learned that there was TONNES of custom content, so I downloaded ZDoom & ZDaemon and started playing through Zharkov Goes To The Store, and lots of various random wads on ZDaemon.

A year later I wanted to make my own maps, so I downloaded DB2 and followed some tutorials, but that didn't really end up anywhere. From then til 2014 I kept playing on Skulltag->Zandronum, and eventually started watching KingDime's Twitch stream around late spring of that year. From there my deeper interest in Doom was re-ignited, and I eventually ended up in OFTC IRC, chatting about Doom. This culminated in me starting mapping again, which this time actually resulted in a couple finished maps and a few maps that I'm still working on.

Largely in middle school, I would just draw up Doom maps in the middle of class. My 7th and 8th grade math teacher was finally like "Get back to work! You gotta stop making these.......things" and "What are these things? A secret meeting or something? Tell me!" I explained to him how they were just my own Doom maps I was drawing, lol.

During that time I had only touched Doom Builder once or twice, took until high school to make my first successful door.

I would say it all started by the D!Zone 2 CD (Which I still have and not in good shape) and the content that was on it that interested me, namely the levels at the beginning to see how everything worked. Then I came across a program called DCK (or Doom Construction Kit) which I became accustomed to after failing to adjust to DEU, WinDEU, DeeP, Edmap and DoomCAD.

My first level or two were made from pre-DCK stuff and never really functioned right so they are lost to the void of ancient hard drive space.

It was something that I wanted to do almost immediately and kind of expected to do as soon as I had a copy of Doom. I'd already tried a bit of modding (sort of) of Eye of the Beholder via a bit of crude Hex hacking. That game, although nothing like the FPS games that came along afterwards, kind of started getting me immersed in the FPS-style of game.

Wolfenstein 3D was the first game that I truly modded with various graphics hacks and so on. By the time that Doom came out, I knew that games could be modded and I wanted to start messing with Doom immediately. Fortunately, it wasn't long before information on how to do it and the necessary tools started appearing.

It's no accident that one of the maps in one of my early releases was based very loosely on the layout of an Eye of the Beholder map and another was based, equally loosely, on the layout of a Wolfenstein map.

Seeing people creating mods of different kinds is one of the reasons why i wanted to mod Doom, I was thinking it would be very hard and i won't be able to even create a Custom weapon , So i started modding it very late .

Long before I ever bothered with Doom, I had seen Azureblade49 and Protonjon's videos of various Mario romhacks and developed an interest in Lunar Magic and began creating horrible, ugly, glitchy romhacks. That begins my interest in modding. So how did I get into Doom specifically?

I first saw Doom in a really old issue of Nintendo Power, saw it years later an AVGN video, played the SNES version in an emulator, same old story I've told before, but as the story continues, I caught some YouTube videos of people playing tricked out versions of Risen 3D and Jdoom with 3D models and all that fancy stuff. Seeing people in the comments asking what a sourceport is and reading the answers, I became interested in just what these things were all about. So I looked online to see what sourceports there were and which one I should choose.

I picked Zdoom.

So then I downloaded Doom Builder 1 and began creating horrible, ugly, glitchy WADs. It took me a while to figure out Doom Builder 2 existed, but I eventually lost interest in the entire thing and moved back to SMW hacking. I mostly just played Ultimate Doom until I got into middle school and felt compelled to sneak Doom onto most of the computers in the library for whatever reason. A lot of the other kids I hung around with in there actually really like the game, and didn't believe me when I told them that you could make your own levels, and that I had in fact did so before.

I wanted to prove them wrong and impress them with my modding skillz so I looked up those Chubz tutorials and all those ACS scripts and ZDoom in Hexen format and then XWE corrupted all my mediocre maps so it didn't matter anyways. So then I tried to copy Doom Builder 2 onto one of the computers to bypass the installation block but it didn't work because DB2 required to be installed. So that happened.

And then after that year middle school students were never allowed to spend lunch/recess in the library ever again. So that happened also.

So then for the longest time I just ripped apart other people's enhancement mods and then Frankenstein'd them together, in doing so actually learning to be Decorate-literate. I lurked Doomworld and Zdoom for a long time and learned from the old ones what makes a good map, and played all the big wads like KDIZD and such. So finally I decided I wanted to actually release things I made, and I decided to make a big show with my very first post and release a dumb mod where an eerily accurate Sonic boss AI thing tried its damnedest to kill your ass.

Woooooooooooo I accomplished nothing!

Well, my story may sound kinda dumb, mostly because i was a dumb kid at the time, but might as well share how i got started into doom editing (and into doom in general).

Back in 2002 i got really obsessed with Ghostbusters. I couldn't get enought of em, so i googled the shit out of it. Naturaly i found Ghostbusters Doom 2 in a ghostbusters fansite, and i was blown away by how the screen shots looked, and it fascinated me how different it was from doom, (before this, i had played doom 95 once back in 1997, but since i was about 6 years old i was quite scared by it, i'll never forget the instalation menu with the spiderdemon walking and the e2m6 music on the background, by the time i got to e1m3 my legs were shaking in intense fear, it gave some creepy nightmares...) Anyway, after borrowing a doom 2 cd from a cousing just to play the mod, and after waiting a couple of hours for it to download, i finally got to play it and it blowed my mind in general, but i was really dissapointed that it was unfinished, so i joined the fansite forum just to pester the admins for news about the proyect. Eventually i googled for some tools to make my own levels for the mod and i found this place . My first editors were DeepSea and Wintex, and naturally the first thing that i tried was to finish some of the maps from GBD2. Obviously my attempts were quite crappy, but i kept doing them. I can't really remember how, but some time later i met a friend who had experience with doom editing in general, and he introduced me to the wonders of doom builder and ACS (Doom Builder made me realize how crappy DeepSea was), Over the next years i made a couple of maps, and i got to collaborate with my friend for a big proyect (that sadly, was never completed despite some long years of development ), it was with this proyect that he tasked me to modify the doom monsters and add cool stuff like items. This led me to learn DECORATE, and it was one of the most decisive moments of my life.

I don't know how many people can say this but after learning decorate and some advanced ACS, it changed my life. It introduced me to programing and eventualy this led me to choose my current carrer. Things were never the same ever since, and it's funny how it all began from the frustration about how unfinished Ghostbusters Doom 2 was (and still is)

Ill keep this simple.

My brother and I did some level design for Windows 3.1 games like Six-feet-Under, just messing with the text-files that built the levels.

I've designed maps for Ubisoft's release of RAYMAN DESIGNER for my Win95 machine.

I've designed "kelp forest-themed" levels for my brother's Spongebob-themed platformer built on the Game Maker engine. (Specifically SuperPants 2.5)
http://www.unitedspongebob.com/page.php?page=homemadegames

I've made a couple of CTF maps on Starseige Tribes.

In DooM editing, my first tools were WinTex 4.3, DMapEdit 4.1 (a DOS level editor) and DEHACKED. I was unaware of the various ports used for DooM so I only designed maps for Vanilla.

I've created DooM II DeathMatch Forever back in 2006. (Meant for Skulltag and Zdaemon, works on Odamex and Zandronum as well)

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/d-f/dm2fordm.zip

I'm currently working on a DooM project as well... and it will get finished whenever it gets finished...

I first had an interest in mapping and modding when I acquired Quake III Arena more than a decade ago around 2004, I did eventually try my hand with Doom Builder 2 after joining here but I have only been making such minor things on and off.

DMPhobos said:

Over the next years i made a couple of maps, and i got to collaborate with my friend for a big proyect (that sadly, was never completed despite some long years of development ), it was with this proyect that he tasked me to modify the doom monsters and add cool stuff like items. This led me to learn DECORATE, and it was one of the most decisive moments of my life.

I don't know how many people can say this but after learning decorate and some advanced ACS, it changed my life. It introduced me to programing and eventualy this led me to choose my current carrer. Things were never the same ever since, and it's funny how it all began from the frustration about how unfinished Ghostbusters Doom 2 was (and still is)

I haven't got a career based on it, but Doom modding and my first tip-toe into WadAuthor were certainly life changing moments :) I'm sure a lot of people here are very "close" to Doom/Doom modding in some way - Even those "too cool" to admit it. Also that unfinished project is awesome, far and away the best "Doom3 in Doom2"-style WAD I've seen, hopefully that doesn't meet the same fate as Ghostbusters Doom2 and end up never finished!