Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chewyninja69

Playing Doom 3: BFG Edition on PS3 when suddenly...

...I clipped through the walls without trying (or wanting) to. Was on the map Halls of the Damned. Does anyone know what that's about or was it some random 1 in a million happening? I had to rocket launcher myself to death to get out.

If you press into certain corners on that map, you can indeed clip through - I think it's because there's a lot of 45 degree angles, and Doom's collision detection works much better with 90 degree stuff.

To do it by accident was definitely a one in a million, though!

It's called a void glide, and it's pretty interesting that it happened completely by accident! I would have loved to have seen your reaction when it happened, haha.

Cyberdemon531 said:

It's called a void glide, and it's pretty interesting that it happened completely by accident! I would have loved to have seen your reaction when it happened, haha.

My reaction was literally, 'What. The. Fuck??!' I was trying to post good times to the PS3 leaderboards and I go through a wall and couldn't get back into the "field of play". I was pretty mad. First time something like that has happened to me in Doom, ever.

I saw a speedrun of this map and it's pretty tricky. You have to line up pixel-perfect with the level end switch.

Well, what's the worst thing that can happen? Doomguy's micro-universe is broken? We can live with that.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Well, you can still beat the map after going out of bounds, but it's pretty difficult.

I just reloaded my last save; I wasn't trying to take 20 minutes figuring out how to unclip and/or reach the end of level switch. Not a huge fan of that map to begin with.

GoatLord said:

I saw a speedrun of this map and it's pretty tricky. You have to line up pixel-perfect with the level end switch.

Yeah I can usually get the clip faster than I can hit the exit switch successfully.