Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

whats up with the demon legs?

raymoohawk said:

:( the point was to talk about the design desicions of the id team, i dont believe in demons, and am not claiming that the id creatures should follow what we see in earths animals, i just thought it would be interesting to discuse their hypothethycal biology like some kaiju fans do

Have you read the Doom novels? I read them ages ago but can't remember if they ever said anything much about the specific biology. I do seem to recall that the demons where actually deconstructionist aliens... and not really demons at all... if memory serves. Man... gotta read 'em again. I remember the books (4 of 'em) being a ton of fun to read. :)

pritch said:

Indeed. Best forum typo in some time.

Now, if it was garum of Hell...

Considering the last time I encountered Maes in a thread I had to post a yall need jesus image, I really don't want to know what that is.

I love the forward leaning posture of Pinky (demon), completely lacking a counterbalance (tail) or space for anything but that big mouth on its abdomen. Its anatomically impossible, yet very, very convincing when it charges, forever falling forwards. Its like it couldn't stop if it wanted to. When it is actually waiting to start moving it looks like its hanging from invisible strings. Very metaphysical and fitting for a hell/otherdimensional creature.

The animal legs seem much harder to do in 3D, when you have to fully explain the poly surfaces and how they animate. Sprites allow for more freedom in the area of creature anatomy (and, besides the point; in the area of clothing), letting artists tuck in space wherever they need to get the concept across. Further proof of this is in the awkward way the Pan creature walks in the otherwise completely brilliant Del Toro movie "Pan".

Yes, I think Doom 3 lost something in the 2D/3D transition in this regard.

Soundblock said:

Yes, I think Doom 3 lost something in the 2D/3D transition in this regard.

They deliberately went with a different aesthetic, so it's okay.

Maybe the pinkies' feet are weighed down with some very dense material? E.g. lead or depleted uranium, that they assume through their diet?

Maes said:

Maybe the pinkies' feet are weighed down with some very dense material? E.g. lead or depleted uranium, that they assume through their diet?

And their cranium is mostly empty space, filled with helium.

Isn't that a dinosaur-type reptile being used to model their legs? And, for some reason, their upper-body is making me think of a gorilla, probably the way it's hunched over.

thing is they didnt follow the dino toy, the toy like all dinosaurs has digitigrade legs, but the demon has backwards bending legs that dont exist in any real world animal

Actually, given some brief research of the subject, it's entirely possible that demons DO have bird legs - their knees are forward-bending, but they're up in the upper leg. What we're actually seeing bend is the ankle.

Seeing a magpie or a crow skipping along on the grass/pavement, focusing on their legs, there's definitely a similarity to the demon's walk cycle/stance there - their common dinosaur roots are easy to spot.

I'd also like to make the case that just like demon isn't a dinosaur, or even half dinosaur, so isn't the Cacodemon an Astral Dreadnought out of D&D. Once you take an image and sample it and shoehorn it into a constrictive palette, it effectively evolves and becomes something new entirely. Raven's artists seem to have created all their Herertic/Hexen sprites from scratch, gaining fantastic results, but I'd argue that id's creatures still ended up being the more original and impactful designs, even though portions of their graphics started out as sampled.

Then again, being biased by the demon's color and noises, it's hard not to think about it as being related to pigs, warthogs, wild boars etc., so that makes the mechanics of its body even more jarring.

Quasar said:

That may seem weird but we do still have Worcestershire sauce which doesn't seem so weird to most people.

Or the wide range of Fish Sauce commonly found in Asian Cuisine. And dashi broth specific to Japan.

Demons are depicted as having all kinds of different legs - http://www.esolibri.it/testi/demon%20ita/Demonographia.pdf
They say birds evolved from dinosaurs so either would be plausible for the Pinky. Hell even some pseudo hell hybrid of the two. Damn you Darwin. And evolution is considered the devil by some, so evolution is become the Demons.

raymoohawk said:

except that they are nothing like dinosaurs or gorillas

So people who call them gorilla pigs are completely objectively wrong?

They have a passing resemblance to rhino feet, for that matter:

As do the Mancubus'.

raymoohawk said:

thing is they didnt follow the dino toy, the toy like all dinosaurs has digitigrade legs, but the demon has backwards bending legs that dont exist in any real world animal

Learn what digitigrade means. It simply requires and animal to put it's weight on it's toes rather than it's heel. The Pinky is clearly resting its weight on it's toes with a visible heel remaining off the ground.

what i meant is that the legs are not like the legs of real animals that put weight on their toes, because it doesnt appear to follow the 3 jointed structure. that said arctangent pointed out that it may indeed have that type of leg, and the thigh is just short