Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest l child

Mouse MADNESS!!

Guest l child

I'm trying to get back into DOOM after long absence and have loaded up DOOM 95 on my Win 98 Second Edition box. Alas there is no mouse reponse, just keyboard!! This is despite the fact that I have enabled the mouse in the DOOM 95 app. Win 98 handles the mouse natively, so is that the problem? How do I restore mouse commands? I want to DOOM but can't with just the keyboard! Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Give a source port a try, like zdoom, legacy or edge. All those can (if you want to) behave like doom95 but has many new cooler features.

Guest fod_vile

If you will be trying to play deathmatch when you get sorted, you will probably need the doom2.wad from the dos version of doom2 on the cd not the w95 version. Check doom2.wad size is 14.604,584 bytes

Does the mouse not work in DOS on a Win98 computer? I can't use DCK in DOS on 2 different Win98 machines because it can't find a mouse in DOS, and it's really starting to irritate me...

I would just recommend taking a few days to learn the keyboard since it's like 40 times easier to use than a mouse.

Don't listen to him, that's a complete lie. The mouse is simply better in every imaginable way, and the keyboard is NOT easier to use.

Oh yeah, and go download ZDoom from zdoom.notgod.com ... It's much better than Doom 95. Seriously, Doom 95 is such a stupid port. You can't load more than one PWAD! Isn't that insane?!! :o

Megalyth said:

Does the mouse not work in DOS on a Win98 computer? I can't use DCK in DOS on 2 different Win98 machines because it can't find a mouse in DOS, and it's really starting to irritate me...

You'll need a mouse driver to use a mouse in dos. Since w95 however microsoft seems not to not ship them though.

Either you copy the mouse.com (or mouse.sys if you know how to load drivers from within the config.sys file.) from a friend.

Hoever, since that's probably illegal you might get a freeware dos mouse driver from http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/index.htm (the cute mouse driver under utilities) I do think however that a 17 version has been released but i'm not certain were i got it from...

this one has another advantage too, it only occupies about 7kb of base memory :o)

Guest FOD_VILE

On the subject of mouse, if it's ps2 make sure you get ps2rate.exe that is soooo good for smoothing mouse out in doom

Megalyth said:

Thanks a lot, that driver works perfectly.
Back to editing I go...

AndrewB said:

Don't listen to him, that's a complete lie. The mouse is simply better in every imaginable way, and the keyboard is NOT easier to use.

Oh yeah, and go download ZDoom from zdoom.notgod.com ... It's much better than Doom 95. Seriously, Doom 95 is such a stupid port. You can't load more than one PWAD! Isn't that insane?!! :o

True, the mouse kicks ass, and doom95 does suck. If you want to use doom(2).exe, get dms015.com (at cdrom.com). With it you can negate the forward/backward movement of the mouse (enabling much better control on ledges and other places where you need precision in movement).

Guest Nerull
Lüt said:

I would just recommend taking a few days to learn the keyboard since it's like 40 times easier to use than a mouse.

I would have to disagree that the keyboard is easier. I remember that the cyberdemon used to be a challenge back when I had to use the keyboard only. Now he can be dispatched without me taking even one hit. And that was the first time I faced him since I was "keyboard only". If there is any fault in the mouse, it is that it MAY make the game less challenging than it used to be, but that is what "nightmare" mode is for. :)