Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Liam the Bard

[tag], [tag], [tag], [tag], [tag]... Yeesh!

Guest Liam the Bard

I thought I'd try my hand at editing Hexen...
Damn! Complicated!

I had a good idea for a few Hexen hubs, but alas, like you say: tagging and ACS scripting killed that.

I love Heretic. I'm doing my own Heretic stuff too. It's a 27-level partial-conversion. It's about 85% complete. It's been about 85% complete for a year ;)

Guest Liam the Bard
Davidoom said:

Hexen...hehe...good luck.....anyone here do Heretic?

Yeah, I'm doing heretic cuz hexen editing was too complicated.
Speaking of Heretic, I heard of a different game called heretic 2. I thought this was Hexen, but apparently not. Anyone know about this?

Those games go in a weird order. It's basically this:

Heretic: Beginning of story. The 3 Serpent Riders were unleashed. In this you kill the first and easiest, D'Sparil. Based off the Doom engine.

Hexen: Here you kill the second Serpent Rider Korax. Based off the Doom engine, although far more advanced.

Hexen 2: Eidolon is the final, and toughest (near-impossible) Serpent Rider. Uses the Quake engine. This ends the saga, supposedly.

Up until now, each game has been in different worlds with no character connection at all, except for the Serpent Riders.

Heretic 2: This brings back the main character from Heretic, Corvus. In Heretic, D'Sparil cast a curse on him to roam someplace for some amount of time (it's been a while since I kept up on the stories ;). He finally returns to his home world, only to find that some other dude launched an evil plot, so he's out to stop him. This game has nothing to do with the Serpent Riders, it's just an extension to Heretic. Some of the maps are OK but if you wanna be able to have your character do what you tell him more than 1/4 of the time, look elsewhere for a fun game. I did beat Heretic 2 in about 3 days, but if I coulda been able to control that stupid freak it would have been under 2. It's more frustration than it's worth, even if you just want to see the maps.

Lüt said:

I had a good idea for a few Hexen hubs, but alas, like you say: tagging and ACS scripting killed that.

I love Heretic. I'm doing my own Heretic stuff too. It's a 27-level partial-conversion. It's about 85% complete. It's been about 85% complete for a year ;)

Cool...I'll have to check that out then. Shame about Heretic 2...I didn't see one good review for that :(

I think the game was pretty decent, story was fine, levels were vast and had big variety and usually rather well done. You just couldn't move the player. He just does these acrobatics all over the place when you tap keys and it's just like "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!" Possibly the most annoying "feature" is not being able to run backwards and shoot. When you've got guys charging at you, you can walk backwards and fire (altough with a little trouble) but it you wanna run backwards and fire, guess what? Running backwards=backwards sommersaults, and you can't fire when you're sommersaulting! Of course you can't stop him from going once he's started, so if you're on a ledge and you accidentally do some sort of gymnastics maneuver, get ready for a fall because there's no way to stop that guy from showing off his moves, no matter what the consequences are. The game is more like Sim-Gymnast in a medieval setting. And don't even get me started on how bad the camera is.

I found Heretic 2 to be the most controlable game with that kind of "Lara Croft" view point I had played. I found the jumps and gymnastics easy to pull of and got through the game really quickly. And I am absolutely garbage at any kind of jumping routine normally.

As a side issue, why do level designers insist in putting ridiculous jumpig bits in levels. IMO, it takes all the immersion of a 3D shooter and slaps it into a Mario Bros. type play style. Half life was a classic example. When it came out it was one of the most realistic, immersive games for ages, and yet every now and again Gordon Freeman was forced to leap from pillar to pillar over radioactive pools, avoiding crushing machinery in a superhuman way. And he didn't even get to rescue a princess. Platform games can be fun, but I levels like that in 3D games just make me look for the noclip cheat.

Hey, the Heretic2 controls *might* be ok if there weren't things like ledges, pillars, jumping scenes, narrow halls, etc. but it had all of those and tons of those. That control is OK for totally flat arenas but that's all.