Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Wobbo

HELP quick!

is there anyway to extract a midi to wav format for free? I figured it would be an easy thing, since you can do it by hooking up a mic to the headphone outlet, but besides that i havent found any way to do it for free! I tried using soundfonts but the only program i could find redered then horribly (out of tune, changing tempo, etc.). I cant find any site to download free soundfonts that worked. So is there any other way? I DONT CARE ABOUT QUALITY AT ALL. even fm synth will do

Check out Timidity. If qualitiy does not matter you can use Winamp, set it's output plugin to "Disk Write" and play the MIDI. Winamp will crate a .wav then. At least that's what I heard ;)

yeah i tried winamps, its not working thanx though, ill try timidity

dang, no luck with timididty, i get no sound. i think the fact that i have no soundcard- just a bumdeled softsynth is the problem

There was a prog I found a while back that was quite successful. I can't remember it's name ATM.

Basically it had a double function. It was a midi player that used sound samples to simulate wave table synthesis on non wave table sound cards (pretty well I thought). The player could be used to write the output to a WAV. The second function was that it could be installed as a driver and all midi sounds (including game out put that played through windows) could use the fake wave table synthesis.

Ring any bells anyone?

I don't have it anymore because I have a better sound card then when I used to use it, but if someone mentions the name, I'm sure I'll recognise it.

You're probably thinking of WinGroove, Enjay. It may function in writing MIDIs to WAVs, but the quality of Timidity++ is better IMO. That's actually the whole reason why Timidity++ was made: converting MIDIs to WAVs.

To get Timidity++ to work correctly, you need to make sure you have instrument patch files for it. The set recommended by the program's creators is Eawpats; the link is on the Timidity++ site.

Setting up Timidity++ is not exactly an easy process. You really have to RTM if you want it to get it working right.

bigbadgangsta said:

The Silver Spring soundfont comes with a decent program that can convert midi to wave.

Hmm, that program seems not to be included in the current release :(

EvisceratoR said:

Do you need a special soundcard to use soundfonts ?

Yes. AFAIK you usually need a Creative Labs sound card (SB Live or better), because most (all?) soundfonts are designed for those cards.

boris said:

Yes. AFAIK you usually need a Creative Labs sound card (SB Live or better), because most (all?) soundfonts are designed for those cards.

Actually, Timidity++ supports SoundFonts, but you can imagine what a memory hog that would be for some of the higher-quality ones out there. So technically you don't need a Creative card.

boris said:

Actually I could use soundfonts on my old computer which was just a shitty generic SoundBlaster compatible card.

wingroove wasnt free for more than 30 seconds. thanx everybody, im trying to install timidity, but its the most difficult procedure ever
UPDATE: I love you all. i got winamp to do it with help from their messageboard. unfortunatley microsoft's midi mapper (directX 8.1) ist quite as good, but i dont care. thanx

Xian said:
dang, no luck with timididty, i get no sound. i think the fact that i have no soundcard- just a bumdeled softsynth is the problem

Well, timitidy can convert mid->wav without going via a sound card, I've done this myself a lot. At least with the command line version that ships on Linux systems, you do something like "timidity -Ow -o some.wav some.mid".