Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wugo Heaving

Consenus on NRFTL?

Wow look how drab and messy this game's graphics are, look at that stupid hud that takes up 80% of the screen what a shitty game.

Jaxxoon R said:

http://i.imgur.com/4CsSjGAl.png
Wow look how drab and messy this game's graphics are, look at that stupid hud that takes up 80% of the screen what a shitty game.

Would have been better at 320x200 with low detail mode, then you could complain about the low resolution gameplay.

I played NRFTL once at a friends house a while back. I thought it was fun, but I was also thinking that for new official levels they were good, but pretty small and underdetailed in comparison to my favorite pwads. If the authors had ever been to this forum they could have seen what is possible and made gigantic mind blowing levels. I mean, c'mon people, you're not limited by the 90's hardware anymore. Let's some some insane shit!

Modern detailing tropes don't always make sense, and it was nice to see some levels from people who weren't exposed to community works, but were professionals who knew advanced engines. I guess this kind of experience gives you a certain perspective. Suddenly you don't have to make Doom into Crysis, and you can concentrate on using whatever makes it a good game in its own right.

I love NRftL; it's my second-favorite iWad. Ironically, my first isn't made by Id either >.<

In particular Vivisection was my favorite map, but I love every map of it. There are lots of cool effects and concepts thrown in, such as Vivisection's general concept, the map with that cool BFG secret with the 3 switches, extra-long monster-closet-elevators, as well as others. I felt like the aesthetics of it were great as well. The maps were much better-looking in an over-used red than an over-used brown like a couple of the other iWads. I'm glad they didn't try to go above-and-beyond with the detailing and the visuals of it, even vanilla-permitting. It wouldn't have felt like an iWad to me if it came out looking as beautiful as some mappers here make in vanilla. I guess that's a strange thing to say, but I hope y'all know what I mean.

If I was on this site back in 2010 I would've been another vote for it as a cacoward.

I hope to get the wad file off my sexbox disc so I can play it on the comp soon, time-permitting.

Doomkid said:

Honestly it makes sense games would have certain portions that are colorful, and certain parts a bit more drab, to set the mood. Taking a single screenshot from any game and using it for a comparison is just cherry picking, whoever did that is a little bit silly.

This is true. Brown is a neutral color, as well as grey. So they are used in higher amount to not make the map looks garish and set a serious tone to the environment. But yes, that doesn't mean you can't use some complementary colors as well, or the map may become boring and lifeless. I think John Romero pretty much nailed it in Knee-Deep in the Dead.