Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

In Defense of Doom 3 [video]

I know this should probably go in the Doom 3 forum but lol.

This guy makes a lot of in-depth videos analyzing various games and now he's *sigh* defending Doom 3.

Ok this guy lost me somewhere around 5:00 and I just had to start laughing. But I do agree with him on the lighting and when he talks about the flashlight a little later. The BFG version, while cool to have, was kinda ruined for me because of the lack of a real flashlight.

But there's a lot of lol's to be had at this video, heh.

Doom 3 was alright.

I wasn't very fond of the way he described some things, but in general I think Doom 3 was pretty good.

Not watching the vid, but I actually like Doom 3.

No, it isn't a real Doom sequel. But, taken on its own, it's a pretty decent FPS with good atmosphere. The expansion pack was even better.

Well of course it wasn't a real sequel it was more like a reboot or remake, Doom 4 seems like it will probably be the same in that regard.

I loved the emails acknowledging the stupidity of the chainsaws, and his description of the facial animation cracked me up.

Enjoyed it.

I really like Doom 3 and I wish Doom 4 had been a proper sequel set on Earth rather than yet another reimagining of the original Doom. I did not care much for Resurrection of Evil, though; the new enemies were lame, the levels were generally forgettable and even the Super Shotgun felt underwhelming.

My biggest gripe with Doom 3 is that there are way too much ammo and health in most levels. Worse, many items trigger enemy spawns, so the fact that you cannot pick them up prevents you from encountering additional monsters. That really does not make sense to me, as it means you will meet less resistance if you are good at the game and more if you keep squandering all your supplies. :S

JohnnyTheWolf said:

You mean the Cherub? If I recall right, it was present in vanilla Doom 3 as well.

He meant the bruiser (with teeth).

I generally disagree but he makes some interesting points, it was a fascinating watch. I also can't lie, Doom 3 is how I initially became a fan (although I had played the first one once or twice as 6-7 year old in the 90's).

However, the flashlight. I always hated that damn thing. For me it's a matter of suspension of disbelief; I hate flashlights in sci-fi shooters. We have night vision goggles NOW and you're telling me we're confined to flashlights with 30-second battery life in the distant future?

Also, you know what game DID have night vision goggles? The first Doom!

I also never played through all of Resurrection of Evil when it was new so I didn't know about the hazmat suit. Makes me wanna install it and try playing it again the way it was originally intended.

I don't know why people still feel the need to be apologists for Doom 3, especially this spaz who thinks he needs to throw Lost Missions under the bus to make it look better.