Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Third_Dino

Is the Doom RPG worth playing?

Hi guys, i know you won't believe me but my brother and I are working on these RPG games. MY brother showed up some screenshots some years ago about Doom RPG and Doom2 RPG, now my brother is working on the source code of these games, there's a video on Youtube about the first level of Wolf RPG, as you can see, it is running on GZDoom, maybe you think I'm teasing you but everything is true. There will be lots of surprises on these games, my brother may post some new screenshot for you after work. I'm going to unveil this secret too, we are working on 11 wads, that's why we have a lot of work to be done, but I will convince my brother to upload some screenshots. best regards

Gerardo194 said:

Hi guys, i know you won't believe me but my brother and I are working on these RPG games. MY brother showed up some screenshots some years ago about Doom RPG and Doom2 RPG, now my brother is working on the source code of these games, there's a video on Youtube about the first level of Wolf RPG, as you can see, it is running on GZDoom, maybe you think I'm teasing you but everything is true. There will be lots of surprises on these games, my brother may post some new screenshot for you after work. I'm going to unveil this secret too, we are working on 11 wads, that's why we have a lot of work to be done, but I will convince my brother to upload some screenshots. best regards

YouTube video link please?

Gerardo194 - it looks good, however I personally am more interested in if you have produced the movement and RPG-esque systems yet?

Good efforts thus far!

Go on the link below to get a doomRPG mod. It will not feel like the original mobile version but it is the closest you can get to playing doomRPG on the PC.
The mod contains maps,items,weapons and monsters from doomRPG but nothing to change the way doom is played.

Sorry for posting the wrong link.
Here is the new one.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-rpg/downloads/doomrpg

MajorMartin84 said:

Go on the link below to get a doomRPG mod. It will not feel like the original mobile version but it is the closest you can get to playing doomRPG on the PC.
The mod contains maps,items,weapons and monsters from doomRPG but nothing to change the way doom is played.

Hmm.

Yes, this looks exactly as how I remember DOOM RPG to be.

After downloading this mod, something in my gut that wasn't breakfast made me not play this mod right away and I opened it in SLADE instead. What I found is nothing short of interesting.

A PLAYPAL and a COLORMAP lump? Eh, cool. I mean, Doom RPG had monsters that were not in the conventional Doom palette, so I understand if the author took the time to adapt the graphics to match the new palette.

However, I must say this PLAYPAL is very similar, if not a straight copycat, of the original Doom palette.

And uh...what's the cause for three DEMO lumps to exist, alongside a GENMIDI and a DMXGUSC lump?...Wait...OH...Hmm.

Yeah, if anything this goes to show in general the amount of genuine effort and compromise that has been shown from those who attempt to recreate DOOM RPG in the Doom engine. If the absolute best attempt of a Doom RPG conversion in 10 years is a project with poorly detailed maps, graphics ripped from screenshots, and saved and released to the general public inside an edited IWAD, then I'm afraid that I can't entertain that idea any longer. You know what pisses me off the most? I genuinely like Doom RPG, and it has some very unique monsters that could be awesome to fight in a much better way on PC, but I have yet to start doing the spritework on them; this completely turns me off from doing it.

And for those who may attempt to report that mod, good luck on achieving anything. There's a user who uploads other people's mods and projects without permission, has been called out several times in the ZDoom forums over the past couple of years, and nobody, not even ModDB, has done anything about it.

IMX said:

Hmm.

http://i.imgur.com/X4xi8Jr.jpg

Yes, this looks exactly as how I remember DOOM RPG to be.

After downloading this mod, something in my gut that wasn't breakfast made me not play this mod right away and I opened it in SLADE instead. What I found is nothing short of interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/mhwgC1L.png

A PLAYPAL and a COLORMAP lump? Eh, cool. I mean, Doom RPG had monsters that were not in the conventional Doom palette, so I understand if the author took the time to adapt the graphics to match the new palette.

http://i.imgur.com/9omBKoq.png

However, I must say this PLAYPAL is very similar, if not a straight copycat, of the original Doom palette.

http://i.imgur.com/MFh2KgG.png

And uh...what's the cause for three DEMO lumps to exist, alongside a GENMIDI and a DMXGUSC lump?...Wait...OH...Hmm.

Yeah, if anything this goes to show in general the amount of genuine effort and compromise that has been shown from those who attempt to recreate DOOM RPG in the Doom engine. If the absolute best attempt of a Doom RPG conversion in 10 years is a project with poorly detailed maps, graphics ripped from screenshots, and saved and released to the general public inside an edited IWAD, then I'm afraid that I can't entertain that idea any longer.

And for those who may attempt to report this, good luck on achieving anything. There's a user who uploads other people's mods and projects without permission, has been called out several times in the ZDoom forums over the past couple of years, and nobody, not even ModDB, has done anything about it.

Sorry I posted the wrong link. Here is the version I wanted to post.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-rpg/downloads/doomrpg

Meh...

I just wish someone would port over the monsters from Doom RPG and add in a few new weapons from the Doom Bible and make a cool unique mod that feels like a natural progression for Doom and is a fun gameplay-enhancing mod that can be used with the original Doom and Doom II.

But hey, one can dream right?

No worries. By the way I never said or implied that you were the author of the previous mod.

As for that one, I guess it's a start. He got most of the maps done right and some of the mechanics. It needs to be polished a bit, but so far so good.

IMX said:

No worries. By the way I never said or implied that you were the author of the previous mod.

As for that one, I guess it's a start. He got most of the maps done right and some of the mechanics. It needs to be polished a bit, but so far so good.

There's no sounds except for the guns and grunting... the death animations are rather lackluster. The sprites are only front-facing (no rotations at all). No gib animations, no door sounds, no music, nothing. And the maps feel confusing and claustrophobic....

It really needs to feel like a PC version of the game.... not some shoddy port. :P

But then again that's just me. :P

MrDeAD1313 said:

Like Doom for SNES? :p

First Doom I ever owned. Williams Entertainment!

Not horrible if you've never touched a modern controller.

everennui said:

First Doom I ever owned. Williams Entertainment!

Not horrible if you've never touched a modern controller.

No I know. It was just the fact that I had been obsessed with Doom on PC for quite some years and then I found a copy of the SNES version. Needless to say I was all "WTF HAPPENED HERE?!" shortly after I fired it up after running Doom on an old Pentium cpu directly before playing the cartridge ;)

I don't necessarily hate on any format of game. There's just much better options. And I cringe when I think about a time when that was my only means of playing Doom.. (PC problems back in the day were a bit more of a bitch than nowadays it seems)

Dragonfly said:

Gerardo194 - it looks good, however I personally am more interested in if you have produced the movement and RPG-esque systems yet?

Good efforts thus far!

yeah, the movement is "complete" but my brother and i are still working on the RPG-system. A little secret; one of the projects is almost "finished"