Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lollie

DOOM - Affine Texture Mapping Edition

HTML5 (ALL OS) & DOWNLOAD (WIN ONLY) >> https://chicago-lollie.itch.io/doomatme

WHAT IF DOOM... USED AFFINE TEXTURE MAPPING??

Spoiler

This is just a quick little Unity toy! A partial recreation of E1M1 (everything you can see without opening a door), relentlessly lathered with affine texture mapping and (optional) vertex snapping. Also an excuse to model an interpretation of the DOOM logo, taking the style of the original 1993 logo and the proportions of the 2016 logo.

It's a little buggy and functionally unrefined, but it serves its purpose. Inspired by a post mentioning Carmack's aversion to affine mapping, and created as a little personal exercise over the past week. Enjoy! (And don't look at the floor!!)

Sorry if this is offtopic, but wow... that's an impressive GIF animation you did there.

EDIT: Welp, I tried to accept the script for the site via NoScript and the HTML5 app managed to make Pale Moon unresponsive.

Thank you, I enjoy going the extra mile for GIFs!

HavoX said:

EDIT: Welp, I tried to accept the script for the site via NoScript and the HTML5 app managed to make Pale Moon unresponsive.

Shoot, I can only do so much about Unity's WebGL player. As far as I know, it should work in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer with little-to-no issue. But there is a downloadable executable for Windows at the very bottom of the page, if that's an option for you!

Failing that, I could put together a few more GIFs showing off the more extreme side of what affine texture mapping does to DOOM. It is another kind of hell. (spoiler: Motion Sickness Simulator 2016)

That was an interesting experience, what with the texture distortions. Was this the reason why Carmack didn't want Saturn Doom using the GPU?

Also, the messages at the end, and not rendering certain areas, was pretty funny.

Google Chrome here. So this is what the Saturn version of Doom might have looked like if Carmack had allowed hardware rendering? Still beats the unplayable lag.

The real mindfuck about all of this is that Saturn Quake has texture warping JUST LIKE THIS. This makes me think that either:

a.Upon seeing how much of a disaster Saturn Doom turned out to be, Carmack went ahead and let Lobotomy Software use their full 3D Slavedriver engine regardless of his stance on texture warping.
or
b.Because Saturn Quake was released right before the system was discontinued, Carmack decided not to intervene and possibly push back the release date.

Linguica said:

Is that... y-shearing mouselook in a 3D engine??

Shout-out to ArtLeaping's Camera Perspective Editor for that crucial detail (along with the mouselook script that it came with). It also helped in getting the logo's perspective juuuust right.

Uploaded a couple older GIFs (lighting hadn't been added) that show off the best and worst cases of what affine does to the level. If you deal with motion sickness, I'm... very sorry.

Spoiler

I'm a bit curious about the actual implementation: the downloadable Windows version comes with a built-in Mono (.NET) runtime. Does that mean that the browser version is x-compiled to JavaScript (or "HTML5") from a .NET/CLI source? What language was this originally written in?

Maes said:

What language was this originally written in?

Most of it is C# and visual scripting. (PlayMaker, which in turn makes use of C# anyway, lovely for prototypes) I did take advantage of Unity's built-in assets to get basic FPS control working though, and so there's a little JavaScript as well.

I think Unity makes use of IL2CPP in order to produce the WebGL version. That's what this blog post leads me to believe, at least. http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/05/06/an-introduction-to-ilcpp-internals/

3noneTwo said:

Shout-out to ArtLeaping's Camera Perspective Editor for that crucial detail (along with the mouselook script that it came with). It also helped in getting the logo's perspective juuuust right.

Haha, I've read about lens shifting in architectural photography to keep vertical lines looking vertical, but it never occurred to me that you could simulate the same thing with a virtual camera to do a y-shearing effect.

I say this is quite neat. Digging the intro animation too.

And speaking of the intro animation, I got a feeling that it'd work well with the PSX title music.

The phrase that pops into my head to describe this is "deliciously ridiculous". Props. :P

Xaser said:

The phrase that pops into my head to describe this is "deliciously ridiculous". Props. :P

Deliculous?