Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

PSX Doom sucks

I've heard there are a lot of people here who like PSX Doom a lot? Well, fuck you!, because PSX Doom fucking sucks!

And now I'm gonna tell ya why it sucks, and if you disagree with any of the following arguments, then you're an assface!

First of all, it sucks because they simplify maps. Wait, no, they didn't just simplified them, they ripped them off from Jaguar Doom, a port for some shitty console that nobody ever played. Why would they do do that? Is it because Playstation cannot run non-abridged Doom levels? Fuck no, Playstation can run some cool looking full 3D games, so it sure can run some old shitty sprite-based game from '93!

Second of all, the original PSX version ran at 256x192 resolution (according to Wiki)... 256x192! What the fuck? This is miserable! Nokia 3310 ran at better resolution! I can't imagine myself playing on such resolution, I won't be able to see anything! And here's another thing: the original PSX version ran at about 20FPS (again, according to Wiki). And it wasn't because the console was too weak, it was because it was capped at 20 fps! Why did they cap the fps? Playing on 20 fps is ass!
And you know what I think? They made the game ran at an awful resolution, 20 fps and used Jaguar levels intentionally, because they didn't want players to have fun! That's the only reason!

Third: the sounds. Why did they rerecorded the sounds? The original sounds were perfect, but no! They rerecorded them and did a pretty awful job! The sounds really sound as if they were recorded in the toilet! The sounds the monsters make doesn't suit the monsters at all!

Fourth: let's assume they wanted to save some memory (if that's the reason why they cut out Masterminds from the game, or why they used Jaguar levels), then why did they add new, memory-consuming features, such as colored lighting or animated sky? Those new features are not really important either, since Doom looked beautiful without them. Bring back Masterminds!, they're much more important than that new stuff! And why did they record a new memory-consuming MP3 (or WAV, or whatever non-midi format it was) soundtrack (with pretty lengthy tracks btw), if they could just use old midi soundtrack, that costs a little memory, because it's midi. Sure, the new PSX ambient music is cool, but it wasn't necessary.

There was also no reason to make new levels, they're boring anyway.

Ok, I could've provide more reasons why PSX Doom sucks, but I forgot those reasons..

Spoiler

Kappa

psx soundtrack is pretty cool, not the sort of stuff I usually like listening to but it fits well there. same goes for d64

The only Doom worth playing are the PC releases. Doom 64 being good is just a forced meme. I played the first level and can confirm that it sucks.

rileymartin said:

The only Doom worth playing are the PC releases. Doom 64 being good is just a forced meme. I played the first level and can confirm that it sucks.

Disagreed, I found D64 to be quite fun. I like it more than Doom 1 and TNT in terms of "official" Doom games. I don't see how you can judge it solely from the first map, though, as it's not exactly the strongest in the set. That's like playing only Entryway in Doom 2 and then saying that the entirety of D2 is easy as fuck and has just two monster types.

How rude!!! Heh... For me PSX Doom is a horror game, not action and i love it. Love it because developers showed that game can be complete different and no matter how bad they ported it. Atmospheric music, cool lighting and dark, dark corridors which scared me a lot when i was kid.

Not only was the tone asinine, but you got a lot of facts wrong.

The maps were taken from the Jaguar version probably due to time constraints, and the fact that the whole port was derived from that version. The Jag maps are honestly not that bad and actually make some improvements in several areas.

The the 192 line area you speak of was the visible viewport (techincally it's 200 lines but the top 8 are not seen on TVs). PC Doom used 168, that's less than PSX Doom. The detail is only 4/5ths the detail of the PC version, and you actually get a larger view vertically due to aspect ratio differences.

The framerate was actually 30, though the gameplay logic ran at 15 (the player movement was interpolated to get 30fps). It didn't always reach that target, but it wasn't capped at 20 as you say.

As for the sounds, there was little option. There were rights issues at the time since Bobby Prince had a falling out with id after Doom 2. Also, the music is midi, it just uses custom instruments and effects.

The colored lighting and animated skies were added to have an edge over PC Doom in some areas to compensate for where it fell short in comparison. They were good features and did not consume many resources unlike what you claim.

Using Twitch chat culture sarcasm emotes on an actual forum is a bad idea for the simple fact that Twitch chat is for throwaway stream of consciousness banter that someone can go "heh" and forget in 10 seconds. An actual forum is a permanent place for discussion and people will hold you to what you say since you have a practically infinite amount of time to think things through before you start your thread. Doing what you did here is make a shitpost that has no morale or message. Even if you disliked PSX Doom for real, there's two whole threads you could have dumped that (Confessional Booth and Controversial Opinions).

ChekaAgent said:

Second of all, the original PSX version ran at 256x192 resolution (according to Wiki)
the original PSX version ran at about 20FPS (again, according to Wiki)

So, you haven't actually played it yourself.

To be fair, it wouldn't exactly be that easy to tell the exact number of pixels onscreen just by playing the game, especially with the original hardware output+crt.

Ok, I'll admit, the whole point of this thread was to offend a few people, because I was a bit bored. Tbh, I haven't played PSX Doom on Playstation, but on GZDoom port, and I have only played through like first 10 maps. I don't really hate it, but I think PC version is much better. PSX is much scarier tho.

Find yourself a hobby, it's way better than trying to bait people out of boredom.

ChekaAgent said:

Ok, I'll admit, the whole point of this thread was to offend a few people

Oh no i'm so offended.

The sounds are obviously the worst part for me. The original sounds are all juicy and delicious, a pleasure to listen to and they make fighting so satisfying. PSX Doom sounds like you're stuck in an asylum that is located next to a slaughter-house. Everything is moaning and groaning in a horrible way.

Eh, I like PSX Doom.

Gotta admit, though, I genuinely thought you were serious for a moment. :P

ChekaAgent said:

Fuck no, Playstation can run some cool looking full 3D games, so it sure can run some old shitty sprite-based game from '93!

I know the whole post was a joke, but let me chime on just this bit: it's a dirty well-known little secret that most Playstation games, especially the 3D ones, looked like crap, even by the (quite low) standards of the day. At least personally I didn't like that "dirty", low-res 3D look.

Yeah, it could effortlessly push some textured 3D geometry in a much more casual way than most PCs and previous consoles could, but that was only thanks to the 3D acceleration hardware (which was virtually unheard of on a home console or PC until then), which was also severely limited by low memory, low resolution textures, low field depth ("popping" was very common in practically all games), very approximate and sloppy rendering (the seams between textures looked like a tutti-frutti patchwork, texture transformations and shading looked like crap etc.) and in general it had a very dirty and grainy look. But hey, "3D was what people wanted" (?).

Doom was a game which was very "RAM hungry", even on PCs, and with just 2MB of available work RAM, well, something had to give. The PSX actually struck a very delicate balance between the cuts/omissions typical of all console ports, and some extra boost the hardware could afford it.

ChekaAgent said:

PSX is much scarier tho.

Duh.

Ok, I admit I never played it myself either... but I did play Doom 64 (although I rage quit after falling into a pit with "ISAMM" textures in it, cause I was really enjoying the game until that came), that could be counted too.

Spoiler

Nobody was offended... except the offender failing the offending.

Maes said:

Doom was a game which was very "RAM hungry", even on PCs, and with just 2MB of available work RAM, well, something had to give. The PSX actually struck a very delicate balance between the cuts/omissions typical of all console ports, and some extra boost the hardware could afford it.

I think it'd be better if they retained the original PC Doom maps, but to compensate this, created a fog (like Doom 64 in some maps) that would lower the render distance and boost FPS. On the other hand, due to simplified maps PSX Doom feels very empty and that kind of creates it's own horror atmosphere (the feeling of emptiness sorta creeps me out). So, I don't know what would be better... Maybe they did right..

ChekaAgent said:

I think it'd be better if they retained the original PC Doom maps, but to compensate this, created a fog (like Doom 64 in some maps) that would lower the render distance and boost FPS. On the other hand, due to simplified maps PSX Doom feels very empty and that kind of creates it's own horror atmosphere (the feeling of emptiness sorta creeps me out). So, I don't what would be better... Maybe they did right..

I'm not sure if the simplification was made just to boost FPS (make rendering easier) or also to lower RAM usage (all those level-description structures have to go somewhere, and linedefs/sectors/etc. are not really something that can be swapped continuously in and out of RAM). Probably both.

Heh, I figured the OP was a bit too overblown to be serious. Good to know the sarcasm detector is still working.

Stop criticising me or this thread! I don't deserve criticism!
Ok, I think it's time to close this thread..