Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Chex Quest HD in the works, needs good info on Doom engine inner workings

I actually thought about how Chex Quest could become useful for introducing kids and the like to Doom modding without the obviously mature content that Doom has. You could make mod projects as easily with Chex Quest as Doom since it's just a total conversion of Doom, anyway.

Looks great, I always loved the tone that chex quest brought to the table, and I actually prefer a lot of the weapons and sound effects to doom, like the plasma rifle replacement, that thing is awesome. Gonna keep up on this for sure.

The fact that there exist an active Chex Quest forum in which some feller managed to post over 4k times is mind boggling.

rileymartin said:

The fact that there exist an active Chex Quest forum in which some feller managed to post over 4k times is mind boggling.

I swear everything has a fan base these days.

- We would like to get a breakdown of how the sounds are used. If we could get a list of each sound by its Doom name (etc. DSBGACT) and what it is used for, that would be super helpful since we have to recreate all of the audio logic in Unreal.

Check ZDoom's SNDINFO for Doom + Chex Quest.

- We would like to get some sort of technical writeup of the stats of all the various weapons, enemies and items if possible.

Check their individual pages linked from here, here and here.

Ragnor said:

When are you guys gonna do a Chex Quest community project? :p

It should be called the Community Chex Chest

This is cool and all, but honestly the enemy models look terriiible right now. They really don't look like they're made of any kind of liquid, even perfectly opaque slime, and it's pretty clear that their cartoony design doesn't really work with such harsh shadows.

Also, I really hope they don't try to recreate the levels 100% and just keep the geometry and aesthetics of them - especially considering I doubt it'll feel like id Tech 1 anyway.

Arctangent said:

it's pretty clear that their cartoony design doesn't really work with such harsh shadows.

especially considering I doubt it'll feel like id Tech 1 anyway.

Such is life working with Unreal Engine.

Arctangent said:

This is cool and all, but honestly the enemy models look terriiible right now.

This is my only gripe from what's shown so far, they look more or less like plastic action figures.

The Chex suit HUD looks pretty nifty, though.

vadrig4r said:

I hear they even have one for DMCHOSHO!

FTFY <3

Super Flip said:

This is my only gripe from what's shown so far, they look more or less like plastic action figures.

The Chex suit HUD looks pretty nifty, though.

I kind of dig that though.

Maybe it should lean into that "plasticy" look even harder. Own that style.

I don't feel like registering on yet another forum just for a post or two, but any question they might have about Doom actor logic can probably be answered by going on the real Doom Wiki at DoomWiki.org; notably this page is a good overview of the principles behind monster AI. Then they can complete by looking at the DECORATE code for the Chex monsters in ZDoom and looking up the codepointers on the ZDoom wiki.

Thanks for the links guys, I didn't realize doomwiki.org had such good reference pages. I replied to the topic again with some links http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=5307.msg195497#new

Also there's been quite a few attempts at Chex community projects, most of them don't last, unfortunately.... it would be awesome to have a good sized map pack for Chex though.