Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What theme do you like the most?

1. Hell
2. Industrial
3. Tech base
4 Aztec theme
5. Urban city map (I really don't like those kind of maps anyways)

Overgrown Techbases, I love the mix of metal and vegetation. I guess infested techbase is a close second. In contrst to what theme I like the most, the theme I hate the most is "realism" if that makes sense.

Hoodie said:

the theme I hate the most is "realism" if that makes sense.

Agreed. It's why I don't really like many modern Doom maps. Realistic level design just looks so out of place for this game.

Honestly I don't really have a preference. If I had to choose, my list would probably be

1. Tech
2. Hell
3. Hell/Tech
4. Temple

but as long as it doesn't feel forced I like Temple just as much as Tech.

I've seen so many tech bases and fiery red hells that they make my eyes sigh. i'm big into Russian magical realism, random texture kludge non-themes and the grimier side of Sunlust.

still, really well-made industrial settings can look fantastic in Doom as long as they're lonely and messy enough. tidy little speedmap-esque boxes with diagonal incuts and METAL/BRONZE skirting boards don't cut it, though; the idea is to make it look desolate and ugly

Techbases are my favorite theme, but i also enjoy a map with a medieval ambient. the wolfenstein map from D2INO is one of my favorites

I've always found that Hell maps offered the most imagination, because there's more of an "anything goes" sort of logic to them. In particular, Doom 64 had some fantastic hell levels, they were easily the best of the classic releases.

1.Urban areas (DN3D style and Ksutra style)
2.Rural areas (Ksutra style)
3.Nature (Light jump style)
4.Temples (plutonia style)
5.Hell/Inferno (scythe style)
6.Techbases (E1 doom2 style)
7.Broken techbases (E2 Udoom style)
8.Abstract (Doom2 E3 style and most 1994 wads)
9.Bullshit (jokewad style)

Hell, particularly as demonstrated in Inferno and Thy Flesh Consumed. I also like some of the trashy urban themes, though. As for custom themes, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

I've only got four I think.

Techbase

Tech/Hell

Gothic

Hell

Oh and wait there's another....

Martian surface/Phobos surface/Deimos surface

It's always fun being on the surface of another planet. =)

1. Overgrown temple (as in scythe 2)
2. Egyptian
3. Hell/Castle/Tech (Valiant)
4. Abstract&Moody (Sunlust)
5. Blue Lab & Marble (e2m4)

RightField said:

1. Overgrown temple (as in scythe 2)
2. Egyptian
3. Hell/Castle/Tech (Valiant)
4. Abstract&Moody (Sunlust)
5. Blue Lab & Marble (e2m4)

Scythe 2 had the best themes IMHO... reminded me a lot of Diablo and Diablo II in all the right ways! =D

HorrorMovieGuy said:

1. Cyberpunk

Can you provide a screenshot of a Cyberpunk themed map? I am curious what that would look like. :)

Certainly. It's a little tricky to set apart good ol' "techbase" from what I call "cyberpunk" in doom maps, but as a rule of thumb it's maps that usually tone down the hellish undertones in favor of scientific/technological themes, and they usually feel more futuristic than regular Doom.

I think the best example of this is Strain:

Spoiler

And also UAC Ultra, which is sort of a mix between industrial and cyberpunk
Spoiler

Other maps that also fit the bill are Equinox, Biowar, Daedalus and Dystopia 3.

And of course, there's the Zdoom maps that make use of the new features to go full Blade Runner on us.
Spoiler

HACX 2.0

Cyberpunk shootout

Edit: Many Eternal Doom maps also feel very cyber to me.

Egyptian

Aztec/jungle

City

Space

Tech

Thanks for the elaboration HorrorMovieGuy, I like the screenshots you provided too. I may have to try making a map of this theme some time.

My favorite is probably a mix of bricks, wood and rocks with tech, plus a bit of hellish influence. Memento Mori 2 Map03, Requiem Map05, Alien Vendetta Map15, MarsWar Map20... It's a very free but powerful theme, at least when done right. I think in general, in pretty much any art form the most interesting stuff usually appears when different styles combine, enhance each other, and turn into something that you could never achieve by restricting yourself to one particular style. In my eyes that totally applies to Doom as well. So while I can, for example, appreciate a strictly ancient castle themed map, I will probably like it more if you somehow fuse it with a bunch of computer base parts (e.g. scientists' labs where they study whatever they found in the ruins).

My fave is the Tech/Hell theme like in Ultimate Doom episode 2. I like the idea of the demons invading our world and corrupting it with their reality. If well made some tech/hell levels can be quite creepy.

My least favorite would be the episode 4 hell theme. The levels themselves aren't bad but they could do with a little less wood and marble textures.

kuchitsu said:

I will probably like it more if you somehow fuse it with a bunch of computer base parts.

Have you played through Stronghold? That mod has a lot of UAC Bases in unusual locations, including the theme you just described! :)

I think what I like about UAC Ultra is just how dilapidated it looks. The texture set uses a lot of blacks and greys mixed with stark reds, yellows and greens, with lots of smashed monitors and broken equipment absolutely everywhere and glowing pools of molten steel/magma/some other hot, viscous fluid. If it's cyberpunk, it's purely in the depiction of relentless systemic decay (and the implied enormousness of the interior installation you wind up in after diving down the garbage chute.)

I like the Temple/brick maps the most out of this list...but the one I love the most is like what is seen in plutonia. Tech devoured by vegetation.

subverted tech-hell, run-down industrial, quake gothic or ancient.

IWADS:

1: Temple/bricks (ala The Inmost Dens)
2. Tech (ala E1)

PWADS:

1: Mixture of epic scenery mixed with dark tech bases (ala SoD map14 "Sledge", and Disturbia).
2: Intricate temples with bricks, stones and vines (ala Iori maps and DeathevokatioN maps, Scythe 2, Joshy maps etc)

edit:

40oz said:

Wood, tan bricks, rusty metal and green marble against an orange sky gets my dick hard.

Aw yizz

Dark quake Gothic with bright red lava is my number one... maybe it's tied with realistic outdoor environments with lots of trees/bushes/grass to decorate. Waterfalls!