Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arclite

Doom Honest Trailer (Smosh Games)

PSX Doom would still screw you if you die. IIRC you would pistol start the level. And "saving" with those humongous codes that you had to write by hand would just work like a -warp or idclev.

purist said:

...or even with the save function included in the original .exe

If you remember to save often, that is. It's kind of funny how PC games, especially in the 90's, essentially had save states but people didn't take advantage of them all that much. I'm actually glad they're there, not as a buffer if I die but so I can quit playing at literally any point, I'm not stuck playing until I hit a checkpoint or something.

Jaxxoon R said:

Except that's literally everything a realass dolphin does, they're even known to ram sharks in the stomach until their fuckin organs rupture.

Well then Mario also isn't a cartoonish mascot, because someone in real life will stomp on creatures to kill them, trip the fuck out on mushrooms, and have a humorous accent :P

Honestly, he was far less scathing than he could have been, given the majority of Game Trailers. The most negative thing he says is that the automap is hard to comprehend.

wheresthebeef said:

Well then Mario also isn't a cartoonish mascot, because someone in real life will stomp on creatures to kill them, trip the fuck out on mushrooms, and have a humorous accent :P

I'm just saying, there's an inherent difference between this:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/thegameroom/images/5/54/Ecco.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130421212728
And this:

I actually tried the first game expecting it to be, like you said, a cartoonish mascot-type thing. What I played instead was a weird, claustrophobic deep sea simulator full of NPCs that speak in foreboding wax poetic dialogue, Gigeresque enemy design, and music like this. Other than the novelty of its creepy tone the game itself was kind of... not good, and I hear that's pretty consistent throughout the rest of the series. Kind of a shame really, it's a neat theme.

It was pretty funny... until the mandatory fucking Halo joke.

Blatant Revive

Honest Game Trailers made another video focused on Doom 2016, for those who have yet to see it:

Kira said:

PSX Doom would still screw you if you die. IIRC you would pistol start the level. And "saving" with those humongous codes that you had to write by hand would just work like a -warp or idclev.

The passwords in PSXDoom do retain information about which weapons the player has acquired and also information about ammo, health and armor counts but rounded. You can get pistol start passwords for all the levels from the web (or generate them yourself) though.

Also, IIRC if you die you can go to the ingame menu, select the password option there and it'll show the last password generated by the game when you entered the current level (or what you last entered from the menu if you haven't completed a map after using a password yet). Then you can just confirm it with one button press to restart the level with the equipment and stats you had when first entering it. You can do this even if you (accidentally perhaps) already restarted the level the regular way.