Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike800

Loading map through an in-game menu?

Is there a (G)ZDoom mod that allows the player to choose, through an in-game menu, whatever map he wants to play from the loaded WAD, like in Duke3D's EDuke32?

This post might be better in the WADs & Mods subforum than here.

I do agree that this would be a neat little thing, tho.

If it's what I'm thinking of you're after, Zandronum can do it through it's Multiplayer menu.

Do you mean like, unloading a currently loaded pwad, then loading another, all while the client is still running? Cause that would be pretty cool.

Doomkid said:

Do you mean like, unloading a currently loaded pwad, then loading another, all while the client is still running? Cause that would be pretty cool.

Mike800 said:

from the loaded WAD

Ohh, a map from within the wad you've already loaded. I see. Seems unnecessary given you can just use idclev or type 'map map##' in the console.

Another quick tip on IWADS and levels: I think Odamex lets you change IWADS without restarting, and with the Risen3D launcher you can select which level to start on before loading (yes, this isn't in-game, but I thought it was worth mentioning).

Rampage470 said:

This post might be better in the WADs & Mods subforum than here.

It might be better in the Source Ports forum, or even better directly asked to the developers. I am not sure, if it is even possible, to browse the folders on a computer through an script within a mod.

As said above, some source ports do support a feature to load wads without manually restarting the engine, however making such a feature available through a "GUI-like" mod (in a wad or pk3 form) isn't feasible, as far as I know. It would be a security risk if the engine allowed mods to freely access files on the player's computers.

Nope, Impboy. That mod requires the user to manually insert the "Master Levels" wads into the "maps" folder inside the mod's pk3 before it can work. And TEETH.WAD needs to be manually modified as well.

The way Eternity supports the Master Levels is quite interesting, and it's potentially extendable -- you can add more maps to it and if you make them a text file just right, they'll be detected, which is pretty cool.

scifista42 said:

Nope, Impboy. That mod requires the user to manually insert the "Master Levels" wads into the "maps" folder inside the mod's pk3 before it can work. And TEETH.WAD needs to be manually modified as well.

Well, it's really the closest thing to a GUI-like mod even though you still have to add them in. That's all that matters.