Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

My sb16 midis in the dos days sounded like GUS, am I mis-remembering?

invictius said:

They're bundled with the dos 7.1 installation. Does the livewire cd come with exes such as sbeinit.com, sbeload, and such? I can just direct people to download the dos 7.1 iso.

If by "DOS 7.1" you mean the one bundled with Windows 98 (and of which there never was a standalone release, AFAIK), then that would be warez, and I'd be surprised if it contained drivers specifically for the SB Live! at any point (also because the Live! was released after 1998, and because Creative were never on the friendly/laissez-faire size with regards to distributing/bundling their drivers).

If you mean FreeDOS, that's another story.

Maes said:

If by "DOS 7.1" you mean the one bundled with Windows 98 (and of which there never was a standalone release, AFAIK), then that would be warez, and I'd be surprised if it contained drivers specifically for the SB Live! at any point (also because the Live! was released after 1998, and because Creative were never on the friendly/laissez-faire size with regards to distributing/bundling their drivers).

If you mean FreeDOS, that's another story.

It's on winworldpc, whom refuse to distribute xp as they believe that recent is piracy, however the version of dos 7.1 is distributed under GNU GPL. Is this is indeed illegal it's the first GPL licence software I've come across that has pirated origins.

Heh, "China DOS Union". Go figure. TBQH, I'm not convinced that it's A-OK to distribute DOS or Windows binaries, I never heard of any version of Windows being officially "abandonwared" and I never heard anything about MS-DOS being GPL'ed (though other -formerly- competing "DOSes" might be).

It may be interesting to see exactly how that "DOS 7.1" supports the SB Live! without the Live!Ware driver suite, though.

Edit: well, it does have a "MMEDIA" folder under "ADDONS", and a compilation of drivers from different eras (from as early as 1995 up to 2003) for various newer sound cards. The SB Live! driver includes only a minimal wave/sample synthesis core, SBECORE, which is probably used to handle everything from GM to "FM" emulation.

FWIW, I'll mention that the CD also seems to contains the full versions of Norton Utilities, Quickview Pro etc. so again, this hardly seems legit. Convenient, yes ;-)

Maes said:

Heh, "China DOS Union". Go figure. TBQH, I'm not convinced that it's A-OK to distribute DOS or Windows binaries, I never heard of any version of Windows being officially "abandonwared" and I never heard anything about MS-DOS being GPL'ed (though other -formerly- competing "DOSes" might be).

It may be interesting to see exactly how that "DOS 7.1" supports the SB Live! without the Live!Ware driver suite, though.

Edit: well, it does have a "MMEDIA" folder under "ADDONS", and a compilation of drivers from different eras (from as early as 1995 up to 2003) for various newer sound cards. The SB Live! driver includes only a minimal wave/sample synthesis core, SBECORE, which is probably used to handle everything from GM to "FM" emulation.

FWIW, I'll mention that the CD also seems to contains the full versions of Norton Utilities, Quickview Pro etc. so again, this hardly seems legit. Convenient, yes ;-)

The livewire cd isn't so hard to come by at all:

https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7