Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduXYZ

R.I.P DOOM on DOSBox?

fraggle said:

No, this is completely wrong. Romero never publicly released the DMX code; it was discovered on a random website. Romero privately provided the DMX source to maraakate as thanks for work on Daikatana 1.3 (see here); the code was never meant to go public but got leaked.

OK, then who did? Can the leak be traced back to its source?

OK, so that maraakate guy did, even though I am not sure how long it had been leaked. I thought I saw it floating around much before the dates on that discussion (late 2015).

All I remember is that it appeared concurrently with Romero's big pack o'goodies, along with other utilities, and FWIW it's still hosted here on DW... what's the legal status on this, if it was an unauthorized leak?

EduXYZ said:

I just see people playing with sourceports, why? Hard to use? Low res?

Because as I am not playing anymore on a 14'' screen, old SB16, neither MsDos... and now its possible to play at 60fps, hi-res gfx, hi-res sounds, hi-res music, smooth sprites... To me, really makes no sense.

Naitguolf said:

... and now its possible to play at 60fps, hi-res gfx, hi-res sounds, hi-res music, smooth sprites... To me, really makes no sense.

None of those things sounds remotely appealing. If I wanted to play a game with better graphics I'd play any modern game. To me, most graphical improvements really clash with Doom's bare-bones renderer, even the ones that have slopes. Why? Sprites. Hell, even Quake will always look 10x's better to me, just because everything is models.
Oh and yes I know there are some model packs out there, but I dislike all of them.

Jon said:

...like all software, chocolate doom has bugs...including bugs that we have yet to implement and features we need to remove.

Wait, what features are being removed? Are they the kind of features that Doom Retro and/or Crispy Doom would preserve?

Yeah, I don't see any reason to run DosBox over Chocolate Doom since it just makes your computer work harder without any actual gain. Unless you're just determined to relive the glory days of keyboard only file navigation.

Danfun64 said:

Wait, what features are being removed? Are they the kind of features that Doom Retro and/or Crispy Doom would preserve?

It's meant a bit tongue in cheek but check out the feature-remove label, the only issue currently labelled that is "Chocolate Doom allows dehacked patches to override quit messages", but basically if we discover another area where we accidentally are more permissive than vanilla it's in scope.

fraggle said:

That might be worryingly close to the truth. There hasn't been a new DOSbox release in years now. I do hope we get a new release at some point and I wish the DOSbox team would switch to a more modern development process.

I think Dosbox works more or less fine as it is. If it isn't broken, no need to fix it.

But they do need to catch up with aDosbox (Dosbox for Android). Last release is older than their Windows one.