Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Can I sell Doom-themed badges if the artwork is original?

I have an Etsy store that at the moment specializes in badges. I thought about doing a Doom series, in which the images on the badges consist of original art based on the enemy designs of Doom '16. Would such badges be legal to sell, considering the art would be derivative of commercial iconography, as opposed to modifications of existing artwork? There would be no use of the Doom logo or any other official art.

I would contact iD/Zenimax/Bethesda's legal team. Since you've clearly stated you're using their IP as inspiration they might have a problem with it. Good luck hearing back from them, I look forward to your badges in 15-20 years.

i supposed its not legal, but people sell fan works all the time and as long as they keep their profile low they dont seem to get in trouble. iirc that cool icon of sin asseamblage that romero purchased was not licensed or anything

In a way, that's not very illegal. You're it's your artwork, correct? If you're basing the design of these badges on Doom artwork, then you might get in legal issues.

Contact Bethesda/Zenimax/id Software first.

Spoiler

I'd love to see something Freedoom based. It just doesnt get enough love at the moment.

The goal is just to create heavily stylized artwork that is definitely supposed to be specific enemies from the game. I guess I should contact them officially. I wonder if they'd be impressed if I made a few and actually sent it to them...

GoatLord said:

The goal is just to create heavily stylized artwork that is definitely supposed to be specific enemies from the game. I guess I should contact them officially. I wonder if they'd be impressed if I made a few and actually sent it to them...

They will not accept or look at *any* unsolicited submissions.