Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Things that bother you about Doom

40oz said:

This community has a bit too many people who have the privilege of having a ton of free time and few of them are using it to master the art of making good doom levels.

As Fonze said, of the people who do make maps, a few too many of them work too independently, when they'd be better off pairing with someone who is better at a particular part of level design that they have a lot to learn from. Working with other people is one of the most powerful learning experiences in mapping I've ever had.

So it's bother you that other people have more free time than you do?

I understand why most people don't like to collab with others. It can be very frustrating and the process is far too demanding to be fun and enjoyable.

Agentbromsnor said:

A thing that bothers me about Doom: the abundance of slaughter-maps that don't put any effort into good level-design.

Honestly, except for speedmaps, nearly all slaughtermaps I've seen in recent years DID have good level design that was definitely a result of the mapper's high effort.

I'm okay with the 3d models and the icon of sin. The level names are not too bad either. But the worst thing that you mentioned was the pistol, which looks like... you know.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but i HATE that teleport flash. It blocks your view for 2 seconds. Many things can happen in 2 seconds.

Step forward immediately after teleportation and the flash won't block your view anymore.

The only thing that the Icon of Sin needs is another attack. He just spawns demons randomly and I think he needs to fire some lasers at the player's position so that the player can increase mobility.

Except with a centered view.

Rise of the Triad had a pretty good centered looking sprite compared to Doom, IMO:

This image is from a Doom mod, obviously.

AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

The only thing that the Icon of Sin needs is another attack. He just spawns demons randomly and I think he needs to fire some lasers at the player's position so that the player can increase mobility.

I would love to see a more fleshed out Icon of Sin with a fully 3D model that has an upper body sticking out of some kind of void. Maybe primarily muscle and bone and it uses its hands to try to crush the player or something in addition to spawning demons.

The fact that doomguy takes off his gloves only to punch with a brass knuckle, and that the brass knuckle isn't on when he wields a weapon.
The chainsaw isn't on a constant attack mode, instead you have to push attack and not simply wield it.

All the bugs too.

Yeah, I think most 2.5D shooters have a better perspective than the Doom pistol. Every other gun looks great though.

Imp said:

http://i.imgur.com/Z5E0Byr.png

This is how a Pistol should look..

Where is that sprite from? I'd love to use it

joe-ilya said:

The chainsaw isn't on a constant attack mode, instead you have to push attack and not simply wield it.

Sometimes you don't want to alert or even harm/hit what's in front of you...

MetroidJunkie said:

I would love to see a more fleshed out Icon of Sin with a fully 3D model that has an upper body sticking out of some kind of void. Maybe primarily muscle and bone and it uses its hands to try to crush the player or something in addition to spawning demons.

That's a very good idea. I'm Looking forward to model a 3D Icon of Sin.

That's a very good idea. I'm Looking forward to model a 3D Icon of Sin.

You know 3D modelling? Meaning you can make an MD2 version of the Icon of Sin?

Voros said:

You know 3D modelling? Meaning you can make an MD2 version of the Icon of Sin?

I only know how to model small stuff like apples human characters etc. I've never actually modeled something as big as a full-body Icon Of Sin, but I'll try my best.

The hitscanners are a bit bothersome. One of the features I liked in BD (IDK if its present anywhere else) is that it changes hitscan weapons into really fast projectile bullets with a spread. I mean, it doesn't make much difference, but it feels a lot more fair (plus offers different strategies from the slow projectiles, instead of circle strafing its more of a diving into cover kind of dodge).

Someone mentioned the backwards floating Cacos/PE's in large maps and I completely agree. Been playing the highly acclaimed Sunder map05 and one of the initial Cacodemons is currently at the edge of the map shooting a good 10 or so projectiles at the moment. Still very mild compared to a backwards floating PE outside of firing range constantly spamming Lost Souls.

I only know how to model small stuff like apples human characters etc. I've never actually modeled something as big as a full-body Icon Of Sin, but I'll try my best.

I once downloaded Blender to do 3D modelling.

Didn't work out.

And i never uninstalled it for some reason.