Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Weirdest damaging floors

JudgeDeadd said:

One interesting example was a Wild West-themed map ("Fistful of Doom"?) where you're damaged if you wander out in the sun, so you need to stay in the shade.

Lol so Wild West Doomguy was a tenderfoot?

A creative use of damaging floors was also utilized in the Zombies TC on the second level where you needed gas masks (radiation suit replacements) to traverse some smoke bombed tenements.

I seem to recall that there was wad with a custom liquid texture which was supposed to be shit and it damaged you when you walked on it.

I don't remember the wad's name but it was a metallic area. The lava textures don't hurt but the metal around them deals 20% damage.. Was off-putting enough to not bother playing the rest of the map for some reason :p.

Heretic has some weird ones with that damaging white\grey\boogies shit. The damage is different so you never know if it'll chip you or hurt you like crazy.

One of the maps in Episode 2 of Ultimate DOOM (maybe Spawning Vats, I don't remember), the blue floor with white circles on it. It looks like normal floor, but it's 10% damaging.

Personally I think water and blood should never be damaging. Brown sludge, lava, and nukage are all fair game though. Sludge a little less so, since I don't think it's supposed to be a harmful substance, or rather I've never interpreted it as being one.

6 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Personally I think water and blood should never be damaging. Brown sludge, lava, and nukage are all fair game though. Sludge a little less so, since I don't think it's supposed to be a harmful substance, or rather I've never interpreted it as being one.

Hey you never know, the water might be cancer water from all the cigarettes malcom striker drops...

and the blood... well... magic johnson blood how about that.

The damaging blue lights from Episode 2 still catch me off-guard. I believe this was the only time the Doom (1) maps used something other than slime or lava to create a damaging floor? It was a bit of a trap, but also a clever way to show the player that you should never trust the ground you're standing on.

And IIRC, Command Center has a single tile in front of a wall texture that damages you.

Yes, these blue lights (they are in Containment Area, not Spawning Vats) are the most strange floors in DOOM, I don't remember this flat anywhere else.

Just now, siealex said:

Yes, these blue lights (they are in Containment Area, not Spawning Vats) are the most strange floors in DOOM, I don't remember this flat anywhere else.

Oh yeah. Those damaging floors makes no sense to me. Same as water (unless it's electrified) and blood (wtf?)

33 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Oh yeah. Those damaging floors makes no sense to me. Same as water (unless it's electrified) and blood (wtf?)

Maybe it's supposed to be ultraviolet light? Doomguy is getting sunburned...

1 hour ago, drygnfyre said:

The damaging blue lights from Episode 2 still catch me off-guard. I believe this was the only time the Doom (1) maps used something other than slime or lava to create a damaging floor?

There's the red inverted cross in E2M1, the radioactive blue lights in E2M2, and the lit zone in front of a baron portrait in E2M4.

11 hours ago, Nevander said:

I'm always a bit weirded out when blood isn't damaging.  It makes no logical sense, but come on, it's blood; you shouldn't want to walk around in it!  Especially if you're in or in close proximity to hell!

Blood shouldn't be damaging unless the person has hemophobia or something and damage you mentally, I think. Or it has a unknown damaging liquid produced by the demons mixed with the blood...many theories :)

22 hours ago, siealex said:

these blue lights (they are in Containment Area, not Spawning Vats)

Actually, they're in both maps.

Blood shouldn't be damaging, IMO. I'd really like it if there was some standard commonly used in WADs, like the following:

Nukage, sludge, maybe blood: 5% damage

RROCK05-08, SLIME09-12, maybe electrified floor panels: 10% damage

Lava: 20%

The only reason blood weirds me out as a damaging floor is due to the inconsistency of how it's used.  You can never tell whether or not this mapper has decided to use damage or not.  Even worse if you're playing a community project, where one mapper might have it damage, and another won't be.  Always fun to wander through the same substance in a later map that didn't damage you before, right?

That being said, it always elicits a "wtf" reaction when nukage doesn't damage you.  But never lava.  Once lava stops doing damage, that should be considered a warning that you've just entered slaughtermap territory.

8 minutes ago, silentzorah said:

Once lava stops doing damage, that should be considered a warning that you've just entered slaughtermap territory.

Scythe 2 map 24, FTW!!

When lava stops doing damage, it means that now you are the demons.

blood in the ocean means shark infested waters

All flats can and should be used as -10 damaging floors frequently. Blood should always be used as -10 damaging floors. This is mandatory. Water should sometimes be used as -10 damaging floors and sometimes not, to keep the player guessing. Only nukage may be used as -5, and it is mandatory to do so whenever the flat is used. Lava must always be -20, unless you are mapping in episode four, in which case you can alternate between -10 and -20 (but not within the same map of course... or should you??). It is highly recommended, if not mandatory, that you employ random -10 damaging floors (or even -20) at unexpected times, like around piles of skulls, red or blue walls, demon faces, lights, weird architecture, etc, as it  keeps the player on edge and angers weak newbs who just want to circle-strafe infighting monsters all day.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

I wonder if having Nukage be not damaging throws people off more than random flats being damaging.  I put a big nukage waterfall in my DWP2017 map (because it was needed aesthetically) that the player criss-crosses numerous times.  None of it does any damage, and I realized the only way to prove it was safe was to put the Player Start in the middle of a nukage lake at the beginning of the map.

Even so, people would leave the initial lake, come across another nukage puddle three seconds later, and try to avoid it.  It's just so ingrained in our brains.

Guest Unregistered account

Actually, movement in general seems to be different among players depending on the flat they're walking on.

2 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

All flats can and should be used as -10 damaging floors frequently. Blood should always be used as -10 damaging floors. This is mandatory. Water should sometimes be used as -10 damaging floors and sometimes not, to keep the player guessing. Only nukage may be used as -5, and it is mandatory to do so whenever the flat is used. Lava must always be -20, unless you are mapping in episode four, in which case you can alternate between -10 and -20 (but not within the same map of course... or should you??). It is highly recommended, if not mandatory, that you employ random -10 damaging floors (or even -20) at unexpected times, like around piles of skulls, red or blue walls, demon faces, lights, weird architecture, etc, as it  keeps the player on edge and angers weak newbs who just want to circle-strafe infighting monsters all day.

I once thought of doing something like this on a wide open map, to create a set of "invisible walls" and thus do a maze-like map.

This sector bird in E4M7:

MOx0xNs.png

Heretic is pretty good about having sector damage be consistently keyed to textures, this is a rare exception. Of course you could be expected to guess that a phoenix sector would be hot! (And stepping on that sector lowers a pair of quartz flasks, so you can pick up all the nice goodies and then heal yourself of any damage received while gathering the phoenix eggs.)

1 hour ago, Gez said:

This sector bird in E4M7:

MOx0xNs.png

Heretic is pretty good about having sector damage be consistently keyed to textures, this is a rare exception. Of course you could be expected to guess that a phoenix sector would be hot! (And stepping on that sector lowers a pair of quartz flasks, so you can pick up all the nice goodies and then heal yourself of any damage received while gathering the phoenix eggs.)

That reminded me of the damaging triangle with the shotgun in E2M1...