Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unregistered Account

Playing PWADs on Doom 2 [GoG version]

I recentely acquired GoG's Doom 2 + Master Levels and i'm trying to test my pwad on it - the GoG version uses DOSBox and it's configured in a very particular way.. i tried the "-file" parameter, moving the wad file to different folders (doom2, master, dosbox and etc.) and using the path to those directories after the "-file"; but none seems to work. My pwad is inteded to be vanilla compatible, it runs perfectly on choco but i want to test it on this version too. Any help will be much appreciated.

Make sure you're using -file in dosbox on Doom.exe, not on dosbox.exe itself. The wad file thus must also be inside and pointed to dosbox's virtual mounted environment.

This will require you to use dosbox and Doom outside of GOG's preconfigured environment.

Thanks for replying - so it's not possible to run with GoG's DOSBox build?

P.S. I recognized this screen.. i used DOSBox 4-5 years ago to play some build engine-based games that i have physical copies, like NAM and Shadow Warrior - but i hated the process to config DOSBox properly; i like the GoG build 'cause i don't need to waste any time, just rebind keys and play.

I don't have the GOG version, but you probably want to look at the .conf files. GOG usually has one with "single" in its name which should contain the [autoexec] section. Comment out the Doom line and the "exit" line.
That change will launch DOSbox to the DOS prompt where you can run Doom with any parameters you need.
You can put the PWAD files in the same directory where doom2.exe is.

But why not just use source ports?

pintolinh0 said:

Thanks for replying - so it's not possible to run with GoG's DOSBox build?

Well technically you could, you'd just have to reconfigure its autoexec a lot. It's just a preconfigred dosbox, nothing special.

LogicDeLuxe said:

I don't have the GOG version, but you probably want to look at the .conf files. GOG usually has one with "single" in its name which should contain the [autoexec] section. Comment out the Doom line and the "exit" line.
That change will launch DOSbox to the DOS prompt where you can run Doom with any parameters you need.
You can put the PWAD files in the same directory where doom2.exe is.

But why not just use source ports?

It worked! Thank you so much :D

I guess that if it worked on choco than will work on the original .exe; but i want to make sure that it runs properly, in case someome (or myself) wish to play that way.

Also, thank you again Edward850.