Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Duel40: A classic duel map compilation

Download: http://files.funcrusher.net/wads/duel40a.pk3
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/AlexMax/duel32
FUNCRUSHER Map Selection Statistics: http://tinyurl.com/duel32-maps

Now with 100% more Doomworld.

Duel40 is an ongoing project for Zandronum to compile the 40 best oldschool duel maps and pair them with an easy to use map selector. The compilation is equal parts player convenience, a tribute to classic doom in a modern port, and a deliberate attempt to introduce duelers to lesser-played maps and potential modern classics.

THE PAST

It started a few years ago as an attempt to make a convenient ingame reminder of the skirmish4f map list. After realizing that memorizing 120 maps was no easy feat no matter how they were arranged, I decided to cut the maplist to a mere 16 to force myself to separate out the wheat from the chaff. However, I soon realized that ACS allowed for a far more convenient and intuitive method of selecting maps than simply callvoting them by hand. Zandronum (then Skulltag) was also nice enough to implement a new MAPINFO lobby token to take care of a few more rough edges (such as suppressing the duel countdown and timelimit in the lobby map).

A few months later, I expanded the list of maps to 32. A few years later, I expanded the list of maps to 40. And then this thread was created. That's...about it.

THE CURRENT

Using the lobby is easy. Simply bump your body against the picture of the map you want to play, and it will be globally broadcast. If you agree with your opponent, bump the same picture and the match will start. There is no time limit - I prefer consensus to brinkmanship and leaving the map to chance.

If both players choose Random select, they will be taken to a second location with a randomly chosen map and a skip option. If either player chooses the random map, that's what you'll play. If both players skip, another (guaranteed different) map will be randomly chosen, and play will begin immediately thereafter. Practice maps and secret maps will never be randomly selected.

If there are no players in the duel, the server will automatically return to the START map.

THE MAPLIST

Spoiler

boo
brit10 map07
brit11 map01
brit11 map05
chill3 map07
class219 map01
doom2 map01
dwango5 map01
dwango5 map07
dweller2 map11
eondm1 map05
exodus1on1
exposed
eyedea_
foxtrot
fuloser
geography_duel
greenwar map16
greenwar map20
greenwar map24
judas23_
kid_duel map01
king1
lazarus1j map01
lazarus1j map04
moo2d
oblivx
pobla8
shoot
sipooma
skirmish map01
skirmish map02
ssl2
styx8
styxdm01 map01
udm3 map03
uptightdm uptdm08
uptightdm uptdm31
uroburos
xenosx9 map04
xfire5

PRACTICE MAP: shoot
SECRET MAP: bfgshoot

SERVER ADMINS

The only map you need in your maplist is START.

This maplist was designed for oldschool settings in mind. Nightmare skill, No freelook, no jumping, plasma bump enabled is generally a good place to start. You can also try forced weapon switch and silent west-facing spawns, but keep in mind that not all maps were designed such strict settings in mind (oblivx for example will have half the spawns silent if you enable silent west-facing spawns).

I highly suggest allowing a timelimit and fraglimit vote. The FUNCRUSHER standard is 25 frags and no timelimit.

If you would like to advertise your server cluster in the START map, simply replace the _AD_256 texture with a 256x128 picture of your choice.

If you would prefer the help messages be shown in a different language, simply change the language cvar on your server. Currently, the following languages are supported: Spanish (esm esn esp), French (fr), Portuguese (ptg), Finnish (fin), Hungarian (hun), Czech (czy) and Russian (rus).

Curious about what maps are most popular on your server? (Spoiler: it's judas23_) Here is a python script that you can run against your logfiles. Pass logfiles in via command line parameters, stdout will give you CSV output that you can pipe to csvlook or redirect to a file and import into Excel or Google Docs.

THE FUTURE

The next version of Duel40 will likely be a minor update that contains bugfixes, switching out Chill3 MAP09 with one of the new Oblivx maps, and an update to Uptight Deathmatch MAP18. I am also considering replacing the current random select to allow picking from 3-4 randomly selected maps instead of the current system.

Map suggestions, as well as suggestions for the compilation in general, are welcome.

Good to see Chill being removed. :p

I saw Skirmish MAP01 was also on the chopping block. If you feel like it's just not cutting it feel free to switch out Skirmish MAP01 for any of the other Skirmish maps; some of the later maps I feel are much more refined compared to it and will do well in its place (like MAP15 or MAP18).

-ArgentAgent

I think xenos could be easy replaced, i know maybe 20 maps better than this. And this map is broken when you can camp/troll behind exit door (i do this bcz this map deserve play this way).

Relevant bump, AlexMax is likely going to be updating Duel40 soon with a few maps being swapped. Updates are always a good thing, check here for more information and to chime in!

Seeing as I'm banned on zan forums, i'd like to point out that a lot of those maps that were removed from previous versions were removed with very good reason. These maps are bad, sucked to duel on, and were hardly played, and nobody that I've seen really cared that they were gone.

As for the new maps going in... I can't say I'm really a fan of Moo1m, but I'd personally like to see gothic map01 go in. I really enjoyed oblivx2, though there was one really bad catchy wall Bloodlust simply refused to change which is kinda dumb, but otherwise it serves as a great rough and tumble SSG blast fest, which would stand in great contrast to the gothic map.

I'm very partial to D6M1 and D5M2 and I think those two are probably the only two that have been removed which maybe shouldn't have been. D6M1 is a bit controversial simply due to it's size, but it just feels.. Wrong for it to be missing. It's a damn fun map and rewards skill/attentive playing. D5M2 is a duel staple for a reason, I'm surprised it was ever taken out in the first place.

Personally I like bahdko1 and danzig2 map19 but I totally get if Alex decides to not use them - They're acquired tastes, several odd design choices that I've come to love but I can see why they would frustrate most players. Additionally, I really hope Brit10 Map01 isn't picked, spamfests are fun from time to time but I'm just not big on it. I understand the removal of GW map16 since, despite actually being pretty fun, the balance is very questionable.

I also hope Alex thinks kid_duel map04 is worth a damn D: I've gotten good feedback on that map in particular from variety of players with generally different tastes.

(Also you need to be unbanned on Zan ugh)

Doomkid said:

I'm very partial to D6M1 and D5M2 and I think those two are probably the only two that have been removed which maybe shouldn't have been. D6M1 is a bit controversial simply due to it's size, but it just feels.. Wrong for it to be missing. It's a damn fun map and rewards skill/attentive playing. D5M2 is a duel staple for a reason, I'm surprised it was ever taken out in the first place.

Personally I like bahdko1 and danzig2 map19 but I totally get if Alex decides to not use them - They're acquired tastes, several odd design choices that I've come to love but I can see why they would frustrate most players. Additionally, I really hope Brit10 Map01 isn't picked, spamfests are fun from time to time but I'm just not big on it. I understand the removal of GW map16 since, despite actually being pretty fun, the balance is very questionable.

I also hope Alex thinks kid_duel map04 is worth a damn D: I've gotten good feedback on that map in particular from variety of players with generally different tastes.

(Also you need to be unbanned on Zan ugh)

+1 to pretty much this whole post, except with perhaps a couple maps different.

Any maps in particular you'd like to see in there, Fonze? Any stuff that's there you're not big on? I'm sure AlexMax would appreciate any/all feedback!

getting out the worst offender maps (still need to kill udm3) was my biggest goal and it's good alex wants to remove them too. anything else is not as important to me

the_miano said:

To Doomkid:

This a little off topic, but any update on a Duel40 NS mapset?

i think someone would have to make 40 ns maps first (bad msduel)

Doomkid said:

Any maps in particular you'd like to see in there, Fonze? Any stuff that's there you're not big on? I'm sure AlexMax would appreciate any/all feedback!

To be honest, I'm not sure I know their names, or the wads/servers they were found in. Too much of the jimador while playing, I suppose. But I would remember them if I played them again. One mrcrispy and I were playing on maybe a week ago was pretty cool; it had some 16-wide wall/room-dividers that the player could run on to go from one raised position to the other and felt well-balanced. Prolly was on a Doomshack server, but much help that really is. I certainly wouldn't like to see exodus1on1 removed, but I doubt that's on the chopping block anyway.

I would also like to see a NS version of this at some point, too.

Combinebobnt said:

getting out the worst offender maps (still need to kill udm3) was my biggest goal and it's good alex wants to remove them too. anything else is not as important to me

The UDM whatever maps never really had a place here. They are far too fat and boring for duel.

Combinebobnt said:

i think someone would have to make 40 ns maps first (bad msduel)

I agree, you'd be hard put finding 40 GOOD NS maps. Prob best to start with 16-20 first. Hard to find godo recommendations and good packs, plus trying to avoid turning too many OS maps into NS maps for the hell of it. Probably best off doing a NOS compilation pack first, too.

Yea Bob msduel was bad but at least it's only a confused pack, better than the aborted fetus nobody has heard of called super fast duel...

the_miano said:

To Doomkid:

This a little off topic, but any update on a Duel40 NS mapset?

These guys pretty much already covered it, but there's really not enough "agreed upon" NS duel turf. Slightly offtopic but I'll pm you, Decay and a few others my current wip shit, I want to really refine the gameplay on these, then we can do the wad merger and end up with 10 NS-ish duel (or small FFA) maps. I've also almost finished the map layout I'm working of for Aeon/Progduel/Whatever the guys want to use it for, but it still looks like butt at this stage

Duel40b is currently in release candidate:

http://files.funcrusher.net/wads/duel40b-rc4.pk3

Screenshot_Doom_20181028_191021.png.16a820d3684be36e622bb564713550d1.png

There is now a new RANDOM dimension!  Select from one of four randomly selected maps, one of which is an unknown secret map.  If you don't agree with your opponent, a coinflip will decide the map.  No stalling allowed, the second player must select a map 10 seconds after the first one.

Other than that, a significant number of maps have been added and removed:

ADDED:

+ BSPEPI

+ CGI1 MAP08

+ PYRRHIC_ MAP01

+ PYRRHIC_ MAP10

+ ROSDUEL

+ SKIRMISH MAP18

+ URITEDM MAP06

CHANGED:

= UPTIGHTDM UPTDM31 to URITEDM MAP12

REMOVED:

- FULOSER

- GEOGRAPHY_DUEL

- KID_DUEL MAP01

- LAZARUS1J MAP01

- SKIRMISH MAP01

- UPTIGHTDM UPTDM08

There is a server up on FUNCRUSHER for testing purposes.  Please let me know if you find any bugs or glitches.

[NJ] FUNCRUSHER || DUEL40b Duel (Testing)  @ nj.funcrusher.net:10689

EDIT: RC4 is released, changing the look of the RANDOM dimension and portal to something a little nicer and different.

Edited by AlexMax

The removal of fuloser and laz map01 cuts me deep, but the addition of 2 pyrrhic maps is a fantastic change

I think I am going to enjoy the addition of BSPEPI; played only a single match on it so far and found it quite fun.