Marswar demos/demoset

This is a legacy 1.4 max recording of map 18, marswar.wad - time 7:33.

A fun level with good variety, interesting gameplay, and well placed monsters. Not really difficult, so just enjoy blasting away.

 

mw180733.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Indeed. If you guys end up finishing the entire wad, make it into a demopack. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks - glad you liked it, but I felt the need to improve it. If anyone wants mw19-944.lmp (e.g. to analyse the desynch), PM or e-mail me.

This new demo plays back fine with Doom2.exe.

Vile: Yes, if we complete the whole wad, it will be made available as one zip, with a suitable batch file.

Anyone else feel like contributing any? Just make it UV Max on a map that hasn't been done yet - no need for it to be lightning fast.

Attachment removed to free up space. Please visit DSDA to get it.

Share this post


Link to post

This map certainly seems more interesting that the other one you recorded (map32.)

Share this post


Link to post

It's probably time we had just one thread for these, since it does seem likely to turn into a full demoset in due course.

Everyone is welcome to contribute. Just choose a map where we don't have a UV Max demo as yet, make a post and attach your demo. Alternatively, if you have identified a map that interests you, and you definitely intend to record on it, feel free to reserve it by posting in this thread. NB: This post will be kept up-to-date with the latest information.

The wad is here.

I've attached a demo to this post too. It's on map05, which is a great little map - the first really good one in the wad. This was fun, even though one of the jumps in particular was a bit of a pain.

-----------------------------

CURRENT STATUS: COMPLETED

We now have demos on the following maps: All 32 maps. Yay!.

Now all that remains is to package the demos up, make some textfiles and a batch file to play them all.

-----------------------------

 

mw05-313.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Searcher said:

Damn fine run, Rich.



Thanks for taking the time to watch it :).

BTW... It would be nice to see some demos from you.

Share this post


Link to post

I fully agree with all the statements so far made in this thread. :)

Share this post


Link to post

This is a legacy 1.4 max record of map 27, marswar.wad.

I enjoyed doing this one. It's not hard but there seems to be a nice mix of challenges.

I'm suffering from a very bad head cold but I can't stand to spend another minute in bed so I hope this looks okay.

 

mw270620.zip

Share this post


Link to post

This is legacy 1.4 demo of marswar, map 15 - time 3:13.

I enjoyed this one. I'm not feeling well so it's less strain just blasting through.

I said, back when I started this megawad, the maps are not hard because of the surplus of ammo and health but I think they are done well. The gameplay is fine with good monster placement and traps.

Had the author elected to reduce the ammo and health these would offer more of a battle than one would expect from his monster selection. From a gameplay point of view, I think he did a good job.

 

mw150313.zip

Share this post


Link to post

OK, here's another: map11. Rather a bitch of a level, unless I'm missing a safe way to dispatch the cyber. Where I chose to fight, it couldn't get a direct hit on me, but I took a lot of splash damage.

Design-wise, I like this little map - I've always found it appealing when an area of a map is wholly transformed.

Edit: Replaced with improved demo.

 

mw11-146.zip

Share this post


Link to post

My god, marswar.wad seems to be a quite interesting topic, here! I'm glad I uploaded it.

Share this post


Link to post
Xaser said:

My god, marswar.wad seems to be a quite interesting topic, here! I'm glad I uploaded it.

Yes, good call. Got any more like that languishing on your hard-disk?

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

I really enjoyed watching that one - very fast and efficient.

Searcher said:

Good run, Smooth and clean. Nice job.

Thanks for watching the lmp and for your comments - appreciated :).

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

OK, here's another: map11. Rather a bitch of a level, unless I'm missing a safe way to dispatch the cyber. Where I chose to fight, it couldn't get a direct hit on me, but I took a lot of splash damage.

Good job! Smart way to dispatch the cyber and the pain elementals.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a legacy 1.4 demo of marswar, map 13 - time 8:24

I'll have to say this is the most enjoyable map I've played in the series. Very good gameplay with a fine selection and good placement of monsters.

You have to watch your health and there's no plazma flying around. Fun map to play multiple times.

 

mw130824.zip

Share this post


Link to post

This is a legacy 1.4 demo of marswar, map 24 - time 11:59.

Once again, I found this to be yet another good map. I do like his selection and placement of monsters.

This is not an overpowering map but, with some exceptions, it's primarily a single shotgun/chaingun war. I liked the gameplay and certainly think it's worth playing.

 

mw241159.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Here's a UV Speed (0:36) on marswar map11. I did this partly as a break from Maxes, but mainly because I had noticed something odd when playing this map previously.

I would be very interested if anyone could explain exactly what happens here. I imagined that it was simply a case of straferunning over the critical linedef - except that I'm not straferunning at that point in the demo, and all attempts to get it to work when playing with -nomonsters failed.

 

mw11-036.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Note: this demo desyncs with Legacy 1.41 (or at least the version of it that I had been using to watch Rich's previous marswar demos). It played back OK with 1.40a though.

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

Note: this demo desyncs with Legacy 1.41 (or at least the version of it that I had been using to watch Rich's previous marswar demos). It played back OK with 1.40a though.




Yes, thanks. I should further clarify that I'm using legacy 1.40 which was understood as 1.4 until they came out with 1.41. My download is titled Legacy_140_win32.zip and all of my marswar lmps are recorded using this version.

USE 1.4 (1.40) as stated in my text file and/or comments.
---------------------------------------------------------

DO NOT USE legacy 1.41 without expecting possible errors because they have acknowledged they are still working out the bugs and it is unpredictable. The copy I have gives me problems.

They now have a version 1.41b but expect problems because it is still not bug free. I also have a copy of this version and it gives me problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

Here's a UV Speed (0:36) on marswar map11. I did this partly as a break from Maxes, but mainly because I had noticed something odd when playing this map previously.

I would be very interested if anyone could explain exactly what happens here. I imagined that it was simply a case of straferunning over the critical linedef - except that I'm not straferunning at that point in the demo, and all attempts to get it to work when playing with -nomonsters failed.



At first, having only seen the map once, I couldn't see your problem. Then I tried it with legacy 1.40, prboom-2-2-3 and prboom-2-2-4 and both the sectors lowered under Win 98SE.

I did check and found the tag points to sectors with different ceiling and floor heights.

After that I watched your demo again and understood the second sector never lowered. I don't know the answer but perhaps this information helps.

Share this post


Link to post

Great job Rich.

I too am just sticking with legacy ver 1.40 until the bugs are fixed. It is very stable on my win 98 machine, and it plays back 95+ % of the older Legacy demos just fine.

I know they are striving to improve it but I am one of those people that feels like "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Share this post


Link to post
Searcher said:

Great job Rich.

I too am just sticking with legacy ver 1.40 until the bugs are fixed. It is very stable on my win 98 machine, and it plays back 95+ % of the older Legacy demos just fine.

I know they are striving to improve it but I am one of those people that feels like "if it ain't broke don't fix it".



Thanks for your comment on the lmp. :) I'm still hoping you pick a few to record yourself. If you do, let me know and I'll ignore those maps. I don't want to speak for Grazza but frankly, I doubt he would object to doing the same. Seriously, try some, you'll have a great time.

As to sourceport versions; I got burned a couple of times with zdoom and have since decided to stay with 'stable' sourceport versions. Legacy ended up as my favorite because zdoom had that recording/playback error, which I found and reported quite some time ago. It also had another error I found and reported having to do with line-of-sight code, where monsters could see you (archviles) when you were out of sight and, if you were on a stage, and shot down at monsters below you the rockets would hit the floor in front of you because line-of-sight code did not acknowledge the floor and only saw the monsters. Thus you ended up with splash damage. Very nasty stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Searcher said:

Smooth run Rich.

Likewise one of my favorites. Nice job.



Gene,

As always, thank you for watching and for your positive response.

Share this post


Link to post
Rich said:

I'm still hoping you pick a few to record yourself. If you do, let me know and I'll ignore those maps. I don't want to speak for Grazza but frankly, I doubt he would object to doing the same. Seriously, try some, you'll have a great time.

Yes, I absolutely agree. I have just been recording as and when a map grabs my attention - the total time from deciding to record and attaching a demo here has never been more than a couple of hours (and no, I've never arrived here to find Rich has already posted a demo on the same map in those same couple of hours!). As the number of maps remaining becomes smaller, a bit more coordination might be a good idea though.

Anyway, if anyone wants to "reserve" a map (or a few maps), please post in the Marswar demos/demoset thread.

Regarding a possible demopack, I realize I said something a bit presumptuous a while back... of course, a combined demopack should only be released with the agreement of everyone who has contributed. As I see it, the main aim of such a demopack would be to showcase this interesting wad, and I believe it would benefit from greater diversity in playing styles.

As for ports, I agree it makes sense to stick with a stable version (I'm thinking of reverting to glboom 2.2.3 given the problems Vile has had with 2.2.4). I just thought it was worth mentioning the Legacy 1.41 issue in case anyone else had been using that to watch them.

Share this post


Link to post

[QUOTE]Grazza said:
Yes, I absolutely agree. I have just been recording as and when a map grabs my attention - the total time from deciding to record and attaching a demo here has never been more than a couple of hours (and no, I've never arrived here to find Rich has already posted a demo on the same map in those same couple of hours!). As the number of maps remaining becomes smaller, a bit more coordination might be a good idea though.

Anyway, [b]if anyone wants to "reserve" a map (or a few maps), please post here
.


I agree. It has been quite amazing that we have not crossed paths after 15 demos. Not sure how to handle that. I fool with a map a bit to find something that interests me and then set about constructing a route.

I guess If I do decide to work on it I could post the map level. In fact, I will.

If we get that far, I have no objection to being listed as contributing to the demopack.

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.