Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

/newstuff misc. demos

Here are a couple of help demos for two wads I have uploaded to the archive in the last few days.

First: Deus Ex Machina, UV Max (sort of - I can't seem to get 100% kills). It's not a difficult wad, but you need to know what is really dangerous, and what isn't.

Recorded with Legacy, since prboom doesn't like the dehacked patch.

deus1454.zip

Second: Fortress of the Seven, nomonsters.

This map is very difficult with monsters. If you try to record a "proper" demo on this map, I wish you better luck than I have had so far (best attempt so far: I died not too far from the invulnerability, thanks to some mancubus fireballs that did their "noclip through walls" trick).

This nomo run lasts about ten minutes.

sevehelp.zip

Grazza said:
Recorded with Legacy, since prboom doesn't like the dehacked patch.

2.2.4 still has DeHackEd bugs, or...?

It seems that way.

In 2.2.4 some things didn't look as intended (with either glboom.exe or prboom.exe), and I got quite a few crashes (every time, in fact, IIRC). Also, the noclipping imps didn't seem to work correctly, and maybe there were other problems too that I didn't get to see because it had already crashed.

In 2.3, there was the "player can't move" problem that also arose with, e.g., Hyena (the wad, that is).

BTW, strain and hacx demos desync in prboom 2.2.4, so there are clearly still some issues to be resolved.

Seven.wad UV Max (49:14).

I got there in the end. Not that tough - just lots of places where you can die very easily, and you need to keep your wits about you through a long run. I'm pretty cautious, especially towards the end (everything after the invul was new territory for me - with monsters, that is), but there is plenty of action. Still, -timedemo might be a good idea.

seve4914.zip

Just thought you should know... I looked in the archives for both seven.zip (there is a seven.zip under heretic) and deus.zip but couldn't find either.

Perhaps they haven't updated as yet.

I gave the in-span addresses in my textfiles on the assumption that they would have reached there by now. Sorry; I should have checked.

Grazza said:

I gave the in-span addresses in my textfiles on the assumption that they would have reached there by now. Sorry; I should have checked.

No problem. :)

Grazza said:

First: Deus Ex Machina, UV Max (sort of - I can't seem to get 100% kills).

I did a 'cheated' lmp of this and had 100% kills. Only purpose was to find the 100%.

I'd be interested to see it. I couldn't work out where they were or if they were accessible. I got 102% kills once, but I think that was due to resurrections.

Another demo on a wad currently in /newstuff. It hasn't reached the mirrors yet; you can get it here. The wad isn't very good though - playtesting it has been a painful experience.

The weird thing about this demo is that it was recorded with glboom (-complevel 1), but will only play back with doom.exe. Ports (eternity and prboom/glboom) just reject the file and refuse even to try to play it back. I've no idea why.

Loki's Realm Episode 4 Map 7, UV Pacifist in 0:58.

l4r7p058.zip

Haven't tried it yet but it will most likely run on Doom95; if so people on Windows 2000/XP can play it back with sound and all.

Actually, nevermind (it uses a DeHackEd patch.)

Argh. I guess it's better that way. What a piece of crap...

Grazza said:

I'd be interested to see it. I couldn't work out where they were or if they were accessible. I got 102% kills once, but I think that was due to resurrections.

I can send it as a post attachment or email it if you give me an address; however, this is just a search for 100% and not a real demo so I don't want it posted.

It is recorded using legacy 1.4 and iddqd so type iddqd as soon as the demo starts. Also, I simply used -machina.wad NOT the dehacked version.

myk: Yes, it plays back OK with Doom95 (the dehacked patch doesn't affect this demo one way or the other), making it possible to hear the dreadful sound replacements. When I watched it though, Doom95 crashed on exiting, and then I needed to reboot to get any applications to play any music. So on balance I'd recommend using doom.exe. :)

Rich: My e-mail address appears in the textfile for all my demos. BTW, the dehacked patch is pretty fundamental to this wad (and works fine with Legacy). However, I don't think its absence should make any monsters appear that aren't meant to (in fact, if anything I'd expect the opposite, given that the imps are meant to be able to walk through walls).

Grazza,

Just emailed the lmp.

It would have been easier to see where you may have missed something but, after doing the dehack install into legacy, I tried and your lmp desynced immediately. My doom versions are current so I don't know...

Thanks, but it didn't really help. I went everywhere you did, and also visited all the secrets. All the monsters teleported in too, so I'm just baffled.

Regarding the desync you got, had you ran deusf over the wad? If so, and you loaded the wad and the deh, then again I'm baffled. I recorded with 1.40a.

Things are a bit quiet in this forum, so here's a random demo (UV Max, 11:17) for a wad that was in /newstuff Chronicles #154: IASP. I recorded this mainly to show that you can get maxkills - ammo is very tight indeed, with a fair amount of infighting essential unless you're very good at timing telefrags.

Anyway, if you enjoy low-ammo demos or can't figure out how to handle this map, you might find it interesting. Otherwise, you can safely skip it.

BTW, of the stuff so far uploaded for that will appear in /newstuff Chronicles #156, cycloid's cyc-a.wad looks quite interesting for demos.

iasp1117.zip

Here's a UV Speed on a map currently in /newstuff. Recorded in glboom with Boom 2.02 compatibility, rather than Doom2.exe compatibility, due to an issue described in the text-file.

ic1room.wad UV Speed (0:33)

ic1r-033.zip

Grazza, on my system at least, it plays back perfectly with prboom 2.2.3 comp level -1. You cleared that room in a hurry.

For demo playback, prboom gets its compatibility level from the demo itself, overriding whatever compatibility level you put in the command line or in the cfg file (so when you watched it, it was in fact with complevel 5).

I don't know why it didn't work with Eternity. Either its Boom compatibility isn't so good, or something weird happened here. (I've had other -complevel 5 demos desync in Eternity, so it's probably a general problem.) In fairness, I should add a third possibility: prboom's compatibility with Boom isn't quite perfect, and Eternity is not at fault at all.

You only get about 40 seconds in this map before a voodoo doll is crushed, so you've got to be quick. :) There's a Max included in the wad's zip file, BTW; there the player exits while the doll is being crushed.

I would have liked to get a sub-40 second Max, but it just wasn't happening.

I also took a look at Nightmare, but the double ammo didn't quite seem to compensate for the fact that I got torn to pieces in a few seconds. :p

Grazza said:

I also took a look at Nightmare, but the double ammo didn't quite seem to compensate for the fact that I got torn to pieces in a few seconds. :p

hehe, I hadn't actually tried Nightmare myself. After a few goes I managed to get it done in 38 seconds (Zdoom 2.0.53). I did also manage 33 seconds but a daft spelling error in my command line screwed up the recording...

And those hanging corpses weren't supposed to block your way. I thought they were the type that don't obstruct the player. I thought I tested it in zdoom by turning off z-clipping, but obviously I didn't check the right options.

ic1r-038.zip

And here's a Nightmare. I was trying to do a Nightmare Pacifist on much the same route (though with the telefrag "missed" and the lost souls killing the boss brain), but I was getting the telefrag annoyingly often, and when I didn't, I tended to die fumbling through a red mist at the blue key door.

Apocalypse.wad NM Speed, 1:05.

apocn105.zip

A fun demo on a map that has just appeared in /newstuff.

Imparena.wad (by Cyb); score: 1479 (just under 6 minutes). 33 monster kills. Recorded with zdoom 2.0.57. Also plays back OK with the currently available version, 2.0.59.

impa1479.zip

Here's a UV Max (31:14) on "Paranoia Rebirth" by Christopher Emirzian (Udderdude).

It's not a high-quality demo, but I was happy just to make it through in one piece.

Plays back OK with Zdoom 2.0.60 (currently here).

I strongly recommend using -timedemo to watch it - it's much too long and boring otherwise. It took about 16 minutes on my computer with -timedemo, but YMMV.

para3114.zip

Yeah, this is a bump but it's on-topic and it's not worth starting a new thread for it.

Here is a quickly recorded demo (NM in 0:26) on MAP30 Plus, which I reviewed in T/nC #171. "Less than a minute" was an understatement. :) Pretty easy, and could go a bit faster. Recorded with Zdoom 2.0.63.

What about making a /newstuff chronicles for demos ? :=)

That would be a nice thing... It could include nice demos from
SDA, Compet-N and also neat DMs.

I would even be interested in writing a bit about these kind demos :)