Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultdoomer

Desync Trouble

I'm having trouble playing the two TAS demos for Hell Revealed: Level 18: Hard Attack found on the original TAS site. Using Doom95, it desyncs in the teleporting Cyberdemon room. Using PrBoom v2.2.6, it desyncs a lot sooner (at the end of the serpentine hallway). I also tried Eternity, but it happened at the same place as in PrBoom. Did/is anyone else having this problem? If so, how did you fix it or how do you suggest fixing it?

Thanks,
Phil

Firstly, don't use Doom95 to attempt to play back any demos recorded for Doom2.

The TAS site indicates that these two demos will play back with "DosDoom 0.47 or any other port that can play back DosDoom 0.47 lmps", but that they will not play back correctly under original doom2 (there's no asterisk by them).

That will generally mean you have two options:
1) DosDoom 0.47 (note: may not run at all under Windows XP)
2) Prboom 2.3.0 or Prboom 2.3.1, with -complevel 5 in the command line.

However, hr map18 seems to have some weird problems with all versions of Prboom (and Eternity), meaning that even some compet-n demos desync with them. That leaves DosDoom 0.47 as your only option.

[For those DosDoom demos that do have an asterisk by them, you can play them back with Doom2.exe, Prboom (including 2.2.6) and Eternity.]

If I'm not mistaken, WinDoom should playback demos like DOSDoom v0.47 does.

Myk, that's cool; I never would've thought of that. I'm not certain, but I seem to recall that windoom was based on DosDoom 0.65 not 47... but it still may work.
Grazza's advice is spot-on as usual.

Opulent said:

I'm not certain, but I seem to recall that windoom was based on DosDoom 0.65 not 47... but it still may work.

I remember trying later versions than 0.47 to play back the TAS demos, without much luck. Still, there is more than one version of WinDoom, so if myk can point to one version that he has found to work, that would be useful indeed.

It's a sort-of related problem, rather than the same one. You were trying to run a compet-n demo (in prboom, which would normally work), whereas ultdoomer was trying to watch tasdoom demos using exes that would not normally play them back.

In your case the weird hr18 problem was the cause of the problem; here it restricts the choice of solutions.

Grazza said:
Still, there is more than one version of WinDoom, so if myk can point to one version that he has found to work, that would be useful indeed.

Well... I tried HR181329.LMP with v0.96 and it didn't desynch, but crashed out to Windows at one point. The I tried HF181430.LMP and it crashed in the same location. This is after Esko kills a bunch of Mancubi, when he picks up a Megasphere.