Kristian Ronge

Plutonia map 22 UV pacifist (TAS)

More intense TAS action. :-P

EDIT:
Improved the run significantly!
Plutonia map 22 UV pacifist in 0:56.

(The old run was done in 1:20)

/EDIT :-)

Um... Well, I was watching Plutonia pacifists tonight. I wondered why nobody had done pp22, so I looked for TAS demos of it. I didn't find any, so I made my own. :-)

Now, I'm not 100% sure this has never been done; if it has been done, then let me know ASAP! If not, well, then, here's to making the "impossible" possible! ;-)

Somehow, I get a feeling I can't be the first to do this; it was too easy. Took only roughly 25 minutes, so ... it is most surely possible without cheats. I used Budko's modified PrBoom 2.2.4 for recording. Ah, and this one *doesn't* have nasty doom2.exe-crashing bugs (i.e. it plays back okay with doom2.exe -file plutonia.wad)...

Enjoy!

Kristian Ronge said:

Somehow, I get a feeling I can't be the first to do this; it was too easy. Took only roughly 25 minutes, so ... it is most surely possible without cheats.

It is possible, give it a shot.

Have fun... ha.

Nice demo though. :)

Vile said:
It is possible, give it a shot.

Ehehehehehhh...heh...

I'd rather pass. :-P

My point is: if someone made the effort to make e.g. p1m7 and p4m1 (that are very, very, VERY hard), then why hasn't anyone made pp22 in all these years? I'm thinking it might have to do with nobody liking that map..?

Nice demo though. :)

Heh, it's not very TAS-esque (if you know what I mean), but it at least shows it can be done... Thanks for the comment, though!

A nice demo to watch :). I personally feel that some parts could've been done slightly faster, but then again I'd have to try it to be certain.

RamboBones said:
A nice demo to watch :). I personally feel that some parts could've been done slightly faster, but then again I'd have to try it to be certain.

You're absolutely right, at least 7-8 seconds faster is no problem with TAS. Some things that cost time:

• Could've waited for a try where the Hell Knight shoots faster at the barrels.
  • Could've charged through blue key room faster.
  • Could've passed the last chaingunner before the yellow bars room quicker.
  • Could've skipped the medikits before the lift (turns out I needed them here, but I could just have tried more times to get through to the teleporter later with less damage)
  • Could've moved sooner after getting the yellow key
  • Could've landed closer to the lift switch/revenant teleport
  • Could've tried and tried until I got up the lift first time around and not second
  • Could've ignored Arch-Vile blast after taking red key and head straight for the door (and charge through the end Reality style with 5-15% health), alternately tried until the Arch-Vile didn't attack.
Besides that, more accurate strafe running, optimal turning, and optimal door/monster passing. As you can see, I'm well aware of all of these. All of these implementations mean more tries, and more time to finish it. My purpose wasn't to set an optimal time, but rather to just try it out quickly to see if it could be done, since *nobody has ever done it before*. Yeah. I might do a more optimized run in the future, if I get the urge.. :-)

EDIT: "the future" turned out to be "immediately". Thanks, Adrian. Whenever someone politely yells at me for being lazy and not trying hard enough to go for speed ;-), I'm forced to do it like it should be done! DId a faster one in 0:56... Slashed eons of time off the old one. See first post in thread.

New demo is much better, I'm not seeing any obvious improvements, besides of course getting the turns absolutely perfect (who cares) so now it's a very nice demo :). Almost makes me want to keep working on my E1 reality run, damn school :(

Drew ... what can i say, man ... you are *the best*! :-)))

I can deduce from your .txt that you spent quite a while working out a strategy for this one... I do believe yours is about the safest possible way to do this. Watching that demo made my day, Sir!

EDIT: Removed some additional comments, added new ones. :-)

I feel unworthy to make a post in the presence of such a great demo. :)

Nice to see you've been bit by the pacifist bug again.

Drew, Outstanding! What a delight to see someone actually get thru that one in Pacifist. Mercy me. Tough map.