Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

The Spire: UV-Max

Happened to run across this level in the most recent /newstuff Chronicles. Monster-Blaster level= me like ^_^! I was also insane enough to do a UV-Max on the level. Yes, I'm crazy. Heck, I just did it because I felt like it :).

For those of you who like/don't like really long demos, this may be for you, or perhaps not. Time for it is...1:18:06. Yes, over 1 hour and 10 minutes long. It might be slow <Ok, really slow I bet :P>, but it's still pretty constant action all around. I'm gonna send it to Ops now. Have fun!

Note 1: This demo was recorded with ZDoom 2.0.63a. Use that version to watch it.

Note 2: Someone improve upon this demo when you watch it. I dare ya ^_^.

I wonder if that map will run on good old stable zdoom 1.22? Perfect demo support that won't be outdated with the next update. I am just thinking out loud here.

http://www.zdoom.org/download.html

I guess I better give it a shot.

Anima, no, I won't be going after your demo time. I doubt I can even stay alive in there. Another man-eater, that one.

Can hardly wait to see your run.

The demo desyncs for me after 9 min. and 250 enemies,
using 63a.cab and the commandline:
zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file thespire.wad -playdemo spre7806.lmp
I really would like to see it :(

EDIT:
Nevermind, just tried it with the default.ini and it seems
to run fine.Strange.
Watching the demo now :)

gravitar said:

The demo desyncs for me after 9 min. and 250 enemies,
using 63a.cab and the commandline:
zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file thespire.wad -playdemo spre7806.lmp
I really would like to see it :(

Well that's really odd...I ran the demo just fine yesterday. Only other thing I can think of right now is to just highlight the .wad and demo drag them both directly on to the ZDoom icon, which is what I did to watch the demo over again. Other than that...I'm outta ideas.

OMG, what a battle! Very impressive run in there. Wow! Excellent. I loved it.

For me, just staying alive would be a win. You certainly took it far beyond just staying alive.

Cool. Thanks.

Searcher said:

OMG, what a battle! Very impressive run in there. Wow! Excellent. I loved it.
For me, just staying alive would be a win.

Yes that was totally awesome, thanks for the show :))))

zdoom demos :/

sux that demos will not be working with updates :/

maybe we should get a launcher with all zDoom versions :)

I have to agree that it sucks having the demos become useless with the next upgrade to zdoom.

Here are some alternate uses.

That spire map actually plays just fine with zdoom 1.22 (the demo does not however)

1.22 will play some huge maps and has perfect demo support. I have a demo of Magikal playing Vrack2 in zdoom 1.22, one of his last demos, before he died.

You can alternately run the cab 63 files from a zdoom sub folder so you don't get all the zdoom files over written when you extract the new ones. I do this for each new cab file set that I download.

Like this.

This runs the demo just fine:
D:\DOOM2\ZdoomCab63\zdoom.exe -file thespire.wad -timedemo spre7806

If you do it this way you must place a copy of your ini file in the new (cab63) directory. That ini file must point to your autoexec.cfg

Like this in the ini file:
[Doom.AutoExec]
Path=D:/DOOM2/ZDOOM/autoexec.cfg

That autoexec.cfg file tells zdoom where to look for the needed Iwad files.

That is how I run it.

I have installed zdoom version 1.22 to a doom2 subfolder called D:\doom2\zdoom122\
To keep it separate from zdoom 2.0
Same for zdoom 1.17.

OR you can just make sure the entries are filled out for the following in the ini file:

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR

Hope this helps someone.

The text-file for the wad also says (via "May Not Run With... : Anything other than ZDoom or PRBoom") that it should work with PrBoom (presumably versions 2.1.1 and up). It doesn't say how extensively it was tested outside Zdoom though, so there might be some nasty surprises. Someone who knows the route could check for the most likely problems by quickly running through it with -nomonsters.

BTW, if I need to watch a Zdoom 2.0.xx demo I just extract the necessary files into my Doom2 folder, overwriting whatever version happens to be currently there. And obviously subsequently re-extract one of the latest versions if I need to use that for whatever reason. This keeps things quite simple.

Grazza said:

BTW, if I need to watch a Zdoom 2.0.xx demo I just extract the necessary files into my Doom2 folder, overwriting whatever version happens to be currently there. And obviously subsequently re-extract one of the latest versions if I need to use that for whatever reason. This keeps things quite simple.

The same here. I keep all the versions cabbed or zipped in Zdoom install folder and overwrite when necessary. However, it's annoying that I can't run Zdeamon with Zdoom's fmod.dll and vice versa.

I've made little batch files (that sit on my desktop, so it's just one double-click to run them) to replace the current fmod.dll with the one the port I wish to use needs. e.g.:

del fmod.dll
copy lfmod.dll fmod.dll
lfmod.dll is just the dummy name I've given to a copy of the version Legacy currently uses.

Great demo Anima! Hehe, was kind of wondering if you were going to unleash a demo for the beast!