Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opulent

Scythe2 Demos

Grazza said:
Maybe it makes sense to use Boom compat (or Boom itself) on this map to avoid erratically-performing demos.

I don't see why; it's just a problem with Doom2+ over different systems, and if it's a benign overflow, then all one needs to do is disable emulation during playback, playing it back with PrBoom+ if one was playing it with Doom2+ and it was desynching.

See my edited previous post for a more accurate description of the issue. Sorry, at £1 for 3 minutes it's hard to think too precisely!

Grazza said:
See my edited previous post for a more accurate description of the issue. Sorry, at £1 for 3 minutes it's hard to think too precisely!

Ah, well, the map should be removed from the spechit overflow list in PrBoom+, from what we've seen.

PS: were that list CFG editable it could be fixed externally by the user.

entryway said:
There is no spechit overflow list in prboom+. It tries to work universally.

Right, I had thought so... can emulation be turned off to record a specific v1.9 demo, or will v1.9 compatibility add it always? This map (s202) is showing that being able to remove it is necessary.

myk said:

or will v1.9 compatibility add it always?

No.
Also value of this option will be ignored if complevel >= 7 (boom_compatibility_compatibility)

I wasn't aware of the possibility of spechit overflows when I designed Scythe 2. Sorry that it's giving you headaches. Anyway, I will watch all these new demos shortly, looks like promising times.

Erik said:
I wasn't aware of the possibility of spechit overflows when I designed Scythe 2. Sorry that it's giving you headaches. Anyway, I will watch all these new demos shortly, looks like promising times.

Indeed, plus back then Doom2+ didn't exist yet, so even if you had known about the bug you might have not considered it (possible only if you were to have been moved to make it Doom2+ compatible by design.) But I don't think it's a big deal; PrBoom+ can handle the overflows one way or another (these demos can all be played back).

I have changed a code of spechit overflow emulation. Now it always works correctly. With last demo of Xit too.

I did 2 demos. The first one is a tyson of map07 in 18:01. I encourage everyone to watch this one. The second is a max of the same map in 2:09.

Thats great Xit, just the maxkill should be below 2mins IMO :-/
I suggest also tyson for map19 to do. That one is possible, I remember that I got some good close tries there (thats long time ago :)

Haven't time to read all this, but just to clarify, by "Spechits List" I was referring to is the table I have compiled (in this forum - search for it) that lists maps in which a spechits overflow is known to be possible. I was not referring to an internal list (which doesn't exist) in Prboom-plus.

It's nice that the outcome of this seems to be improved emulation though. Heh, more to test (and retest) once I'm back.

That's excellent, really look forward to watch this. Also a cool name of the file. I still hope for more tysons: map12 should be doable (and IMO easier than map08) and also map19 that I have already mentioned.

I did that map12 tyson demo. Also I have a map09 maxdemo in 2:40. It's a fun map I think so if there's interest I could try to improve it. Maps 11-13 could also be fun to try a maxdemo for. I will also look at map13 tyson and of course map19 like Gusta suggested.

Opulent said:

s2121833.txt
---------------
I got the archie to burn him quite a bit while I did the rest of the map.
I think maybe the archie took out half of his life or so

I have checked up it with prboom-plus's command-line switch -trace_thingshealth 9. The Cyberdemon had 1460/4000 hit-points at the moment of death of the Vile

entryway said:

I have checked up it with prboom-plus's command-line switch -trace_thingshealth 9. The Cyberdemon had 1460/4000 hit-points at the moment of death of the Vile

that is a cool feature.
can you show more than one monster's health at a time?
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/DOOM15.JPG

Opulent said:

that is a cool feature.
can you show more than one monster's health at a time?

Up to three: -trace_thingshealth 1 2 3