Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Scythe demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA page

I forgot to post this earlier (I made the run at around the same time as I did the other two Scythe speedruns of map 8 and map 31 secret exit):

Scythe map 31 UV speed (normal exit) in 0:55.
This run is much harder than it looks. Demo is fine except for a crappy ending.

Enjoy!

Edited by Maribo

My plan is to complete the Scythe UV -fast tables, and doing a lot of other stuff.

Progress so far:
- some weeks ago I made a -fast demo for Map19 (crap, that should be improved)
- today I got a first exit on Map30 in 45:53. Fun, hard map, but it is boring to watch ... 80% infights, 20% mopping up. I'll try to get a better one before sharing.

Cooool new scythe demos! My favorite wad ever so i'll join too if i have your permit Angus :))
Btw. Gusta told me that he works on new tysons for scythe...

Count me in too :). I'll see what I can record here tomorrow.

And good luck on that map30 UV -fast Angus :). It oughta be a blast to watch when it's finally done.

I'm sure you know this, but there is already a Scythe map30 UV -fast demo, by Ryback in 45:09. It was one of the "eggs" in the original Scythe demopack.

Aaaargh! I missed it. I read there would be an egg, but didn't know how to open it. (Same with KSutra eggs, btw.)

I think it's time to lift the secrets and release them as stand-alone demos. Please do that...

EDIT: ... it would be very helpful :)

Ryback did 45:09? Interesting, how close we came together. I'm pretty curious about his route. My strat is to get the invulnerability right at the beginning, and to press the switch at the two cybies, so they can clear the start area.
It's also possible (and probably faster) to follow the NM Speed-route up to the yellow door and then to get the invulnerability. I had no luck with this yet.
I aim for a low 4x:xx at least. Sub-40 shouldn't be a problem with some luck.

Anima, sadly it is no blast to watch. Most of the time you'll see some walls because of hiding ;)

Scythe eggs: rename sc15-nm.lmp as a zip file and then unzip it. (I was almost completely sure you knew this one, given that one of yours is in there.)

Ksutra eggs (heh): open ks-lmps.zip in Winzip. Press Shift-G (or via the menus: Actions - Comment). Copy/paste the whole comment into Notepad; save with the .uue extension and open with Winzip or Wincode, etc. There are plenty of other ways to get at it - the basic point is that it is the Comment text in the zip file, and it is uuencoded.

Well I can announce here about my pack of new scythe tyson runs. It's nothing I would work damn hard on (lack of free time) but I made some demos so here is the list of demos I did so far:
03 - 1:18
05 - 1:13
08 - 2:24
09 - 2:30
10 - 2:08
11 - 3:15
12 - 1:57
13 - 1:58
14 - 2:17
16 - 5:29
19 - just gave some tries, I wanted to announce this as I would complete this map but now it really doesn't matter :)
I surely plan to try some other harder (or easier) maps.
I have heard that Ryback did some -fast run for map30 but never knew if it was released and now I can see it was nicely hidden. Will be cool to compare it with yours run Angus :)

Thx, Grazza :) Finally, after more than 3 years!!!, I know why sc15-nm isn't working. And I 'feel like a complete idiot' (according to eggs.txt).

Nice to see that one of my own demos had been added there. But I can't remember that I threatened to kill Ryback's dog if he didn't include my pacifist sc26...

I just read his comments about his sf30 - he was inspired by the NM Speed route. Nice to see that it works. I watch the demo now, and if it works for me too, I'll do two demos, one for each route.

EDIT: Also thx for the ks_eggs instructions. It works now :)

Grazza, thanks for posting about those easter egg zips.

In case anyone else is in my position of having only just become aware of them, and is wondering why sf304509 is desyncing: you need to turn off spechit overrun emulation, or use an older version of a source port that doesn't have that fix (e.g. PrBoom 2.2.6)

I'm not sure if this is well-known or not, it's not mentioned in the overruns thread (maybe because it's a secret demo, I don't know)

Also while I'm here, on Unix ks-eggs.zip can be extracted with "unzip -z ks-lmps.zip | uudecode"

Did a UV-fast for map19 in 4:14. Good map IMO.

Also, for some reason, the music on this level sounds oddly familiar (and catchy too). I just can't figure out where it came from :P.

Anyways, demo has already been sent to Ops.

Anima mentioned the music on map 19, so I loaded it up, turned on the music and tried to figure out which piece it was. Couldn't place it, but this got me running map 19, and lo and behold:

Map 19 UV speed in 0:26.
This run features a new trick I discovered, saving about 1-2 seconds. :-)))

Okay, I know it isn't UV -fast but it's still some support for the project. Keep it up, guys! :-D

Whew, now I'm satisfied :). Map19 UV -fast improved to 4:04. Only one real glaring mistake, and that occurs within the first 10-15 seconds of the run.

Quite happy with the run, so I'll send it off to Ops now.

Angus Thermopyle said:

Map30 -fast is done in 35:41. ... There is still lots of room for improvement, so I won't stop here. Damn fun map! I love it :)

It desyncs with Doom2.exe. I presume you recorded with spechits overflow emulation turned off (perhaps forgetting to turn it back on after watching Ryback's demo?). I'd suggest turning it back on before making further attempts, to avoid desynching demos.

Grazza said:
I presume you recorded with spechits overflow emulation turned off (perhaps forgetting to turn it back on after watching Ryback's demo?).

Because it's "many engines in one" for recording purposes, it would be great if when recording PrBoom(+) were to display a HUD line that details settings that affect demo compatibility, such as the compatibility level, overflow emulation settings, v1.91 mode, plus any variations that affect (at least) Boom. People spend considerable time recording and sometimes due to an oversight the demo they eventually produce ends up being in some way of the wrong format, which is kind of unavoidable considering the array of settings if there are no obvious signs of which settings are being used.

I'm still recording with prboom+ v.2.2.6, which doesn't have this feature. Sorry, I should state the version number in my txt-files.

It played back Ryback's demo w/o any problem.

Angus Thermopyle said:

Sorry, I should state the version number in my txt-files.

Will be much better if you update your prboom instead of making zdoom-style demos (I should have all versions of zdoom if I want to be assured that I can watch any demos). The latest versions of prboom (not prboom-plus) cannot play your demos correctly at all because its has no option for turning off the emulation.

Talking about recording on PrBoom+, doesn't this post need updating? PrBoom still does GF49 tics? In any case a line saying "make sure you have version (latest) installed" could help.

Angus Thermopyle said:

I'm still recording with prboom+ v.2.2.6, which doesn't have this feature.

Spechits overflow emulation was introduced in prboom+ 2.2.6.22 (November 2005). Maybe it wasn't turned on by default at that stage though.

Angus Thermopyle said:

It played back Ryback's demo w/o any problem.

Yes, Ryback's demo also desyncs (for me) with Doom2.exe, possibly for the same reason as yours does (or else it is a "magic-number"/OS issue - sorry, I don't have the time to test this extensively).

myk said:

PrBoom still does GF49 tics?

Yes, it does, at least the last time I checked (probably 2.4.5 - edit: yes, just rechecked), though it is only every 32 tics, IIRC. That's why I changed the wording a while ago to "every so often" rather than "every time".

Did map31 UV -fast in 3:33. Fun map and not too tough, except perhaps for the first 1/3rd of the run. Sending to Ops now.

EDIT: Got inspired watching Kristian's map19 UV-Pacifist run, so I did a Pacifist run as well for the same map, except this time it's on NM. Time for it is 0:25. Got on the right side of it too (Exact time 0:25.91). Yay. I think this can go down to 0:24 with lots of luck (and likely the NM-Speed run too can be knocked to 0:24), so have at it Kristian :).

Sending my NM-Pacifist to Ops now.

Anima Zero said:
I think this can go down to 0:24 with lots of luck (and likely the NM-Speed run too can be knocked to 0:24), so have at it Kristian :).

Request granted. :-)
sn19-024.