Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryback

Hell Revealed demos [-complevel 2]

Yeah, until further notice, the attachment system is unfortunately broken.

i want the attachments back. :( rapidshare is just annoying and speedyshare redirects me to an ad site.

nice find there, cowboy. i remember attempting this particular trick and not making it. i suck at finding these really bad, but perhaps now that you showed me how it's done... :)

I continue to reveal some hell... Here is my speedrun for MAP17 in 2:24, done without any shortcut tricks and using only the rocket launcher.

hr17-224.zip

SAV88 said:

I continue to reveal some hell... Here is my speedrun for MAP17 in 2:24, done without any shortcut tricks and using only the rocket launcher.

The UV Max record for that level can certainly go under 10 minutes. I say you go for it. :)

I should try it sooner or later. Both of Peo's primitive TAS records for this level (HR17-924 and HF171253) can certainly be beaten with human playing.

Here it is. Time is far from ideal, but some parts of my demo turned out funny.

There are quite a few other HR TAS Max records which can be destroyed humanly -- on levels 16, 22, 23, etc.

hr17-918.zip

@Qaatar: And even around 8:30 is more or less feasible. Here is an upgraded version of my max. Thank you for the motivation. Like you, I'm also highly interested in optimizing long maxes (both on regular UV and with -Fast).

hr17-852.zip

Nice and exciting demo! This is definitely going on youtube when I take some time to make videos.

lol at confused mancubus on lift while fighting second Spidermastermind.

TendaMonsta said:

This is definitely going on youtube when I take some time to make videos.

Thanks for the support!

TendaMonsta said:

Nice and exciting demo! This is definitely going on youtube when I take some time to make videos.

Don't worry about it. After I post Anima's Oneweek Map 09, which comes within one second Hegyi's TAS (Same level as Op_801, but for some reason I never watched these), I'll definitely be posting some of SAV's stuff.

Edit: The new route definitely is a lot faster, as I think the 9:18 demo was more optimized. 8:3x or even 8:2x seems possible to me.

Qaatar said:

Edit: The new route definitely is a lot faster, as I think the 9:18 demo was more optimized. 8:3x or even 8:2x seems possible to me.

Yes, there's still significant room for improvement due to a few slow messy scenes, but it's by no means less optimized than my previous exit. These two demos have different strong points, and naturally some parts in HR17-918 went better, but not the ones that are crucially important to get a good time.

My "new route" can be faster or slower, depending almost entirely on the outdoor infights. In the new demo I killed the first cyberdemon earlier, but it wasn't intended to be a new route, I just decided to improvise a bit when I saw that cyber in a convenient position :-) Plus, he was extraordinarily well weakened by barons. And the next two cybers also cooperated wonderfully.

In HR17-918, I reached the southwest lift at 6:26 (183 monsters killed). In the 8:52 demo, it was at 6:22 (again, 183/246). So the time improvement is mainly caused by much faster ending (despite exactly same strategy in the final third), due to huge luck with some last archies, both at the blue key and at the supercharger.

Right, perhaps it was just a skewed view of the demo, as the things that stood out to me were the couple of missed shots, and being slow at instigating the infights between the cybie and barons at 5:00.

Looking at the demo again, you're right. Most of the improvement was accrued from later parts like handling the two archies + cybie much faster by not waiting around as long.

Yo.

I really enjoy completing levels pacifist style, even if I'm not good enough to beat any records yet. I'm getting much better at them than I was, though. I noticed that a few Hell Revealed maps are almost designed to be beaten pacifist style, such as MAP21 and MAP19, so I recorded a few demos that I hope you'll enjoy. They're recorded with Chocolate Doom.

Freewebs link because I don't know how attachments work here: http://www.freewebs.com/srwagi/Doom/HRPa.zip

A few comments here:

MAP10: Not much interesting here. I made a few mistakes, and it looks jittery in some places because I was debating whether or not to use SR50 there.

MAP12: Fucking hard. If there's anything that could possibly go wrong in this map, it happened to me when I was trying to beat this map. Cockblocked by an archvile, mowed down by the Spider Mastermind, having the arachnotrons fail to leave their starting area, everything! Then, all of the sudden, there was this one run where pretty much everything went right for me, even the Pain Elementals forgot I existed!

MAP19: One of the easier ones. I really should have 33 seconds on this one, but I lost a couple of seconds. Why? I skipped over not one, but two exit lines!

MAP21: Extremely easy. As long as the imps get cleared out, you're pretty much clear.

MAP27: I actually had a run of this in 1:17, but my computer took a dump while I was copying to a different folder, so it's lost. The hardest part is getting the skull key next to the Cyberdemon. Also, in one run, the archviles bounced me through the window and I ended up going through one of the teleporters, sending me way far in the level (I died after that, though). Could a ridiculously fast time be achieved by doing this on purpose?

I'm planning on doing a MAP14 run next; the furthest I ever got was almost getting out of the yellow key hallway. Also, MAP15 is actually possible if you're the luckiest doomer on earth (or TASing!)

The attachment system is pretty simple - just make sure that your files are zipped, that the zip file isn't bigger than around 200 kB, and that's there's a text file in the zip with your name, port choice, comments, etc. I'll encourage you to re-upload your demos as an attachment, because your freewebs link isn't actually working :/

EDIT: Okay nevermind, it works if you copy-and-paste the URL.

Yeah, it was weird, there's a browse button and everything, but there seems to be no button to actually upload the file.

Once you've browsed to and selected your attachment, it'll upload automatically when you make your post.

Also, I'm going to do the Nazi thing and ask you to use the existing demo naming convention - it makes it easier for us to play the demos back with PrBoom+. For instance, your demo on level 10 would be named "hp10-052".

EDIT: Nice runs though :>

Yeah pacifist is lots of fun, expecially harder ones which can produce quite artistic demos. Stroller (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/30166-stroller-pack/) is another funny category which is kind of pacifist to the power of two, in case you want to check that out.

Also, MAP15 is actually possible if you're the luckiest doomer on earth (or TASing!)

You are aware of existing demos, aren't you?

xepop said:

Stroller

Oh wow. That is quite possibly the most funny way to play Doom.

Pretty cool pacifist runs. They were fun to watch =]

Wow, very nice demo, thanks!
Maybe you could do Requiem MAP02 too? I got red key several times, but getting back through imps is too hard for me.

SAV88 said:

Memfis' recent TAS stroller for level 10 inspired me to record a faster non-TAS demo, with a slower but more practical route.

Nice! And a similar route at the start to what I tried years ago when we made the stroller pack. Except it didn't occur to me to make a detour to the megasphere, and I never got past the area with the PE. That was a bit feeble of me, of course.