Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So surfing the /newstuff I find this wad and think wth, should be an interesting challenge. Little did I know how hard a challenge it would be ... I spent 5-6 hours getting just this far(demo->prboom2.5.0.5), with an alternate route I'm not sure I like, which goes to the red key, but this gives me the plasma gun, assuming I can survive the revenants and arch-viles that pop out. Taking out the stuff in the big round area looks much more appealing to me.

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions where to go here, and if someone could TAS this I'd be most impressed and a little relieved that someone, somewhere, somehow has gotten a demo of this on UV ;)

Haha, I remember this one - one of my faviroute maps :)

As for your path, it's probably better than the one I chose to finish it. I remember clearing out the entire starting area before moving on to any of the side sections, or even across the narrow bridge/walkway. This required quite a great deal of infighting, as well as some sort of use of the beserk, but it took me a huge amount of reloading.

And hey, once you've finished that, you could always try out this:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12252

Assuming you haven't already. (Nochance and Eaxt, were in fact, my main inspiration behind my own .wad.)

Oh great, the wad that inspired the one I'm stuck on >.< I MIGHT have played it before ... maybe. But that was probably a while ago before I actually posted here and was lurking around the 10 years of wads, cacowards and newstuff chronicles.

Anyway I'm only kinda half-serious about trying to demo it, I pretty much rage-quitted and deleted the wad (not the zip) after making no progress for 2 hours. Need to do some more iddqd runs if I wanted to really do it. Clearing out the first bit after coming back might actually work better than trying to push on, as then I could somehow grab the bfg, and then the real work could begin.

ArmouredBlood said:

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions where to go here, and if someone could TAS this I'd be most impressed and a little relieved that someone, somewhere, somehow has gotten a demo of this on UV ;)

Gggmork uploaded a couple of demos to Sendspace (which unfortunately have long since expired), it'd be worth asking if he still has them. Suggestions you can find in this thread.

I wonder who's uploading Death-Destiny's wads to the archive?

GreyGhost said:

I wonder who's uploading Death-Destiny's wads to the archive?

Me too. Even though he gives distribution permissions in the text files, I remember him having an issue with /idgames.

Since DD's site is down, whoever has his wads might as well upload the rest. They're good enough to deserve preservation.

EDIT: I have crimsonhorizon.wad and elysion.wad (probably his finest work) which haven't been uploaded yet. I might have a few more of his wads but I don't know what names to look for. His site would have a complete list, but it isn't on the Internet Archive.

EDIT AGAIN: I'm trawling through forum history for lack of a better list of missing wads. Even if I upload mine, we're still missing abyssion.wad, and possibly others - and of course we never got to see Dark Plutonia, unfortunately.

In b4 "DD is a whiny bitch and his maps SUX0R" or something to that effect.

I'll check out your demo. Don't have time to play doom much now, but this was my 2 failed attempts (one got all keys):
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19786852/nochanceggg1FAIL.zip
If I remember, I basically cheated by using the lift as a shield and not shooting at the beginning to wake up monsters or something.

I have all 'released' DD's maps in a 'DD' folder as far as I know. Some of my favorite maps, he should come back:
abyssion
acheron
beesong
crimsonhorizon
disturbiav4
dr2008v2 (maps 10/11 and maybe another i think)
elysion
grime
nochance

One small obstacle is that a few of his wad names are longer than 8 characters long. Ty doesn't like longer filenames but I don't like the idea of changing them. (But maybe we could put crimsonhorizon.wad inside of crimsonh.zip?)

@ggg; it's only a minute long, just wondering where to go but I think I know now. And it's interesting watching a demo of when you hadn't gotten the 2shotting cybers down ;P Unfortunately it signal 11's me around 53 minutes for some reason, but it's about the end of the map anyway.

Apologies to ArmouredBlood for hijacking his thread.

Creaphis said:

One small obstacle is that a few of his wad names are longer than 8 characters long. Ty doesn't like longer filenames but I don't like the idea of changing them.

Wads with longer names can be found in the archive, the main concern appears to be that uploaded zip & text files conform to the 8.3 format.
I archived D-D's site before it disappeared and can add Dark Plutonia's "TrinityMap27" to the upload pool.

@gggmork - in DR2008v2 they're maps 2, 6 (with Butts), 10 & 11. Didn't know about Acheron, where did you find that?

GreyGhost said:

Didn't know about Acheron, where did you find that?

Oops, you're right. Put it in the wrong folder (maybe because it had a dd demo in it, but that map was dutch devil's 1024 map, not dd's... well ok, dd's.. just not that dd..)

Creaphis said:

In b4 "DD is a whiny bitch and his maps SUX0R" or something to that effect.

I don't recall anyone saying anything negative about his maps, but that personality disorder really tarnished things.

I've been emailed by the individual who uploaded Disturbia, No Chance and Grime (apparently he's been banned or something so he can't post directly) and he's very much eager to see the rest of Death-Destiny's maps, which are not part of his collection. So, I'm going to go ahead and upload Crimson Horizon and Elysion. I didn't know about dr2008v2 but I see that's already in the archive, which leaves Abyssion and "TrinityMap27," if the latter is fit for public distribution. GreyGhost, can you handle that?

I'll send a pm too just in case you don't check this.

Use3D said:

I don't recall anyone saying anything negative about his maps, but that personality disorder really tarnished things.

Some professional critics of slaughterfest maps were saying that Death-Destiny's maps were simply too hard to be respectable. But I think he eventually hit his stride.

Got the PM. No problem with Trinity, it's the second release (without Plutonia's Map27) and distribution is permitted. I'll upload Trinity and Abyssion (version 2 with Anima Zero's demo) if gggmork doesn't beat me to it.

The version of DR2008v2 in the archive is a few days newer and slightly smaller than my copy, wonder what changed.

gggmork said:

not dd's... well ok, dd's.. just not that dd..

So long as it's not one of DarkDave's. You'd have been legally obliged to remove your hard drive and send it away for high-temperature incineration if that was the case. :-)

How many DDs are there on these forums? No matter - so long as none of them are so upset they purchase the site from Ling in order to ban and IP-block me. Abyssion and TrinityMap27 (as Satangel.zip - a contraction of "Satan's Angel", the map's title) are now sitting in /incoming waiting to be processed.

Thanks for pointing out this map, looks fun and gggmork's demos were pleasant to watch during breakfast heh. Dunno much about mapping, but what is the reason to make map boom compatible instead of just doom compatible? Just wondering, 'cause I still prefer original exe over any ports.
edit: and yeah, I had quite a breakfast :D

I wanted something special for my entry number 100 (Just because SAV did it), and this hardcore map is somehow special.
Max in 39:59 (wheee! under 40)

nc--3959.zip

Awesomeness, have to rename it chance.wad I guess. That end part was a scary 25% health miracle, ha ha. And at the top of the winding stairs the game was like 'eh, technically that vile blasted you, but I'll give you a sporting chance and not count the damage- good thing you're not gggmork or I'd have counted it double'.