Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

There have been many pacifist runs for Scythe 1/2 maps that end in a similar fashion and I don't remember anyone objecting. Romero death exits are pretty much universally accepted as okay for pacifist.

Of course e.g. Scythe map30 was a different story since in that level you are normally supposed to shoot at the Romero head. Luckily, another solution was found.

Low HP adventures! I like it. I don't understand the use of "block monster" lines in some of Darkwave's maps though. During my recent replay of SOD I had a bunch of moments where I was like "god, they completely surrounded me, I'm so dead" but then I was like "oh, so they can't come closer because there is an invisible barrier blocking them... okay, I'm safe".

It would be a good idea to mention (at least in your txt) that there are already faster demos than the one you are uploading*. Most demos that people post here are improvements on existing demos (or demos on wads or in categories where there aren't previous demos), so may assume that you are posting a record, and be disappointed to discover otherwise.

It is also good to use standard file naming; in this case it would be sd31-129.lmp.

If you are unaware of where you can check for existing demos and file-naming standards, there is DSDA as well as earlier posts in threads here.

<hr />* Views differ on whether it is worth uploading non-record demos. I should clarify that they are welcome here (as per the sticky thread), though personally I don't see a whole lot of point in them, unless they exhibit something unusual.

Yeah, always check DSDA before doing attempts, a few times I got what I thought was a good UV-Speed time only to realize that there was already a faster run... in Pacifist no less :v

Cool! I did some silly stuff at the start of that, so I'm surprised it took this long for someone to beat it. SoD doesn't get enough love, maybe we should hold a "Beat dew's SoD speedruns" week. :)

>SoD doesn't get enough love
Very true.
>it took this long for someone to beat it
Pacifist is a bit harder here imho.
>"Beat dew's SoD speedruns"
Many of your old ones looks almost unbeatable.
I plan to make some NM runs, there are very few of them.
And existing ones are beatable =)

Map14 NM-Speed 0:55

sd14n055.zip

They're very beatable, it's just that the routes are very tough to survive. :)

GrumpyCat said:

>SoD doesn't get enough love
Very true.
>it took this long for someone to beat it
Pacifist is a bit harder here imho.
>"Beat dew's SoD speedruns"
Many of your old ones looks almost unbeatable.
I plan to make some NM runs, there are very few of them.
And existing ones are beatable =)

Map14 NM-Speed 0:55

Nice one, that was probably the easiest NM-Speed of the ones I did and needed improvement. My others are definitely beatable, but significantly harder to survive. :)

4shockblast said:
Nice one, that was probably the easiest NM-Speed of the ones I did and needed improvement. My others are definitely beatable, but significantly harder to survive. :)

Map10 NM-Speed 1:02

Was easy to improve because you used definitely not optimal weapon for arachnotrons =)
Will try to go below one minute next week.

sd10n102.zip

Map23 NM-Speed 0:03

0:02 is doable too, maybe later.
It's much easier to do if arch-vile kills you.
Unfortunately it's complicated both with and without megasphere.

sd23n003.zip

Episode 1 UV-Speed in 23:51

Weird demo where I died on map 6 and somehow made it through the exit.
I was forced to improvise the rest with no ammo which lead to some pretty exciting close calls. Funny how some of your shittier demos can turn out to be more entertaining. I'll be improving on this one..
(first exit)

sod01-2351.zip

Does anyone know if the death slide trick on map 2 is something that can be pulled off consistently? Or is this a tough trick that can only be done once in a blue moon?

PjSpartacus said:

Does anyone know if the death slide trick on map 2 is something that can be pulled off consistently? Or is this a tough trick that can only be done once in a blue moon?

Check dew's D2ALL TAS.
Obviously it's hard.

Shouldn't be too hard imo. it defiantly saves time, just kill what's in that little area, lure an imp over and since its -cl9 you can die through enemies. Since its map02 and not like map09, no reason not to do it I feel.

Oh sweet, a SoD episode run is not something I'd expect! And yeah, the deathslide is actually not hard at all if the spider outside of the exit room doesn't harm your imp buddy.

Yeah I'm Down to 20 mins but I'm hoping to get it under 17-18. I was able to learn how to glide and do all the other tricks but I'm having trouble with this death slide. I clear out the area except 1 imp and push against the bars and the imp scratches me through. Problem is when I get through the level doesn't end. I've watched the uv speed videos but dozens of attempts and I can't hit the exit. Hmmm

I agree since its map 2 I would try and improve the 20:xx but it's a pain in the ass getting through map 1 10 pct of attempts so I would need to pass the death slide 25%+ to make this worth it. Any more advice on the slide?

I couldn't repeat that trick on complevel -1 even with rocketjump so if you do some tests - in command line use correct complevel.
Advises? Just luck -_-

In this case, you need to thing run suicide because running on the imp in that direction (I believe, can't confirm) in builds up more speed when you die. you'll get more distance. Like j4rio said, the right side has the linedef closer.

I can manage it when practicing in the wad but when recording its a whole other beast. While recording I always seem to drop straight down when dying. I only pulled it off once in an hour maybe 40 attempts. A rocket blast through the bars is simple and skips the whole blue key section saving maybe 30 secs.

IIRC I wasn't exactly pressing against the bars, more like sr40 against the imp and the bars.