Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

The /idgames/levels/doom Exploration Demo Thread (New: random selection 2 by 4shock)

And now W! There were quite a few more levels here but Never_Again's already been here so I stuck to levels he hadn't recorded on, which cut down on the to-do list a lot.

WACK-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on WACK.WAD by Jim Flynn in 7:55 (YT)
Large Jim Flynn level, pretty good for Sep 1994. Good fights, good puzzles, good special effects.

WAD-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on Waste And Destroy v1.1 (WAD.WAD) by Johnnie Chan and Simon Griffin in 7:57 (YT)
Large, but fairly empty and square level. Has some nice monster slaughter opportunities and a great violent end though.

WALLSRYB.ZIP - UV Max on WALLS.WAD by Kurt Schulenburg in 2:55 (YT)
A decent amount of variety and action and choices packed into a compact layout. Doesn't look the best though.

WARR-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on WARREN.WAD by Stuart Greig in 4:16 (YT)
Large level, but there's no challenge from the monsters and not much variety in the layouts.

WRZ4-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on WARZONE4.WAD by David M. Lewis in 4:54 (YT)
An ostensibly deathmatch-only level that offers a lot of fighting to the interested single player. Built on an epic scale.

WEDD-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on WEDDING.WAD by Blackfist a.k.a. Rich Dersheimer in 1:22 (YT)
It's a nice day for a Hellish wedding. Small and simple, but fun.

WELC-RYB.ZIP - UV Max on WELCOME.WAD by Neal Rayner in 3:43 (YT)
An underground maze that you've got to run through several times to finish the level. And yet somehow it's enjoyable!

WHEELRYB.ZIP - UV Max & NM100S & UV Fast on The Wheel (WHEEL.WAD) by Jim Flynn (YT)

• WHEEL433.LMP - UV Max on E2M5 in 4:33
  • WHEE244S.LMP - NM 100% Secrets on E2M5 in 2:44
  • WHEE520F.LMP - UV Fast on E2M5 in 5:20
And more Jim Flynn. Some creativity involved in the expanding circular layout, but the focus is squarely on combat.

WRECKRYB.ZIP - UV Max on WRECK.WAD by Unknown in 3:28 (YT)
A broken level with some very confusing features. 100% kills not possible.

ryback-1994-w.zip

I did the UV max demo in the following pack for the Beat Cyberdemon531's Demos Thread, and there's no better place to put it than this thread. Thus, I dusted it off today. I improved Ancalagon's UV max for the same level by way of superior barrel usage, and there's a bonus UV speed run too!

CYBO-TGH.ZIP - UV demos on Cybo-Kill!! (cybokill.wad) by Brian S. Barrett

• CYBO-105.LMP - UV max in 1:05 (YT) [Cyberdemon531: 1:29; Ancalagon: 1:11]
  • CYBO-032.LMP - UV speed in 0:32 (YT)
  • NOTE: Both demos feature a sergeant instantly turning into a pile of goo, without even a scream to accompany it! Explanation given in the YouTube annotations.

There's been too little activity in this thread, so I'm gonna try to revive it. :) Dunno how many more Doom 1 runs for random maps I plan to do in the near future, as I tend to jump between wads quite often, but hopefully I'll get enough for at least a few posts in here, going in no particular order (just whatever I feel like running). I didn't use advanced HUD for any of the maxes.

Building K UV-Max in 8:56. This map was previously done by MN, this is a ~7 minute improvement over his time with some more modern strats. :) (YT)

Happy Valentine's Day! UV-Max in 0:29. (YT)

Kill the Spider! UV-Max in 0:23, Tyson in 2:20. Very silly map and runs; I moved the map to E3M8 to make it completable and I included the fixed version in the zip (textfile allows for changes, so I think it should be fine). (YT)

ESCAPE.WAD UV-Max in 12:28. This is not the same escape2 as the one already on DSDA, this one is for Doom 1 and was made in 1994 (pretty damn impressive for the time). Three bonus demos are included here that show various unusual bugs I found in this map.
ESCAPE.WAD Pacifist in 2:18 (bonus demo on older route included).
ESCAPE.WAD NM-Speed in 3:02 (filler).
ESCAPE.WAD Nomo in 1:54.77 (bonus demos on two older routes included).
ESCAPE.WAD Nomo100 in 4:35.
YouTube

shock_exploration.zip

The Outer Darkness UV-Max in 7:37. (bonus demo showing a bugged teleport)
UV-Speed in 2:30.
Nomo in 0:51.57.

A much more recent wad than most in this thread (from 2007) and limit-removing, so it's much more detailed than most maps here as well. Decent to play casually but incredibly frustrating to record on, as the gameplay was really unpleasant for speedrunning due to some cramped gameplay and lack of decent weapons until later in the map. The nomo is pretty cool, though. (YT)

Quake dOOm v1.0 UV-Max in 0:34.
Pacifist in 0:09.

In stark contrast to the map above, this one is super short, super easy, and rather poorly designed and ugly - there really isn't much praise about this map other than it being short. In fact, the exit switch doesn't even work, so I had to include a fix wad that actually makes it possible to exit. (YT)

The Floppy Wizard 1 UV-Max in 3:29.
UV-Speed in 0:40.

'94 map, not at all impressive by today's standards, but more fun and has a better layout than most '94 maps I played (visuals and architecture are pretty typical, though). Notably, the max here actually gets 200% secrets; I'm not sure what the rules are on max where that's possible, as it's so rare, though in this map's case it doesn't waste any time to get the extra secret anyway. (YT)

Theme Shock UV-Max in 2:51
UV-Speed in 1:06. (bonus demo in 1:05 that I stupidly recorded without the graphics patch)

Requires THEME DOOM PATCH 1.7

Pretty mediocre map overall, but the theme it uses is alright and has some neat effects. (YT)

shock_exploration2.zip

Another batch, this time I decided I'd go after all wads that begin with the letter q, since there's very few of them. This post actually includes all of them across the entire directory other than one episode-length partial conversion that will be next on the list, as neither the ports nor the megawads directories had any q wads.

Quad UV-Max in 10:05.
UV-Speed in 1:29.

Decidedly one of my favorite Doom 1 levels ever, really fun to maxrun despite being so much longer than most of the max ILs I usually do. By Scott Harper, previously seen in this thread with TGH's runs of BRUNDLE.WAD of Tarnsman's Maximum Doom streams fame. UV-Speed here demonstrates a few tricks. (YT)

Quagmire (A difficult or irksome situation) UV-Max in 2:44.
Pacifist in 0:05.94.
UV-Speed in 0:25. (intended route, recorded with -complevel 0, which is Doom v1.2 compatibility)
Nomo100 in 0:25.31 (112% secrets).

Not the same quagmire.wad as on DSDA. Yes, this is another level where secrets get created due to change sector linedefs. However, not only that, but one of the secrets also gets destroyed in the same way, so 7/8 intended secrets are accessible but 9/8 actual secrets are possible. Except the maxrun only gets 8/8 because the two secrets that get created do not seem to follow any logic and seem to do so randomly, and for one of them I was unable to get it to appear with monsters at all which is why I recorded the nomo100. More details in the textfile. (YT)
Note: this level's mapslot is E2M2.

Outpost Quark -- version 1 update 2 UV-Max in 8:13.

Incredibly unfun and irritating level to play and UV-Max, you can read my full rant on how unpleasant this level is in the textfile. As a result I didn't do UV-Speed (there's also no tricks other than an east glide that saves really little time) and only took 8 attempts for this UV-Max. (YT)

QUARY11.WAD UV-Max in 0:44.

Pretty early '94 level, no exit here and no expected place to add an exit, so the max time is just the rough time of the last monster's death. Very basic and forgettable level. (YT)

QUATRO.WAD UV-Max in 3:36. (couple bonus demos included showing ways to get stuck)

Another '94 level, overall not too interesting but decent fun simply by virtue of having a lot of plasma and plasma gun/BFG. Most noteworthy aspect of this map is its size; the main building that the map takes place in is impressively big from the outside. Couple bonus demos included showing ways to get stuck on the level. (YT)

Queen of the DoomWeb a Study in Plasma E2M1 UV-Max in 4:16. (bonus demo showing a way to get stuck)
E2M1 UV-Speed in 1:25. (bonus nomo showing an unused trick)
E2M2 UV-Max in 1:51. (beats Memfis' DSDA time of 2:02)
E2M2 Pacifist in 0:40. (Also Reality)

Set of two maps: first has some annoying and mediocre aspects to it but also some interesting progression choices and alright gameplay, second is practically completely empty and mostly boring. (YT)

Quick Kill Deathmatch -- Quickill.zip UV-Max in 1:15.
Pacifist in 0:11. (bonus demo on slower route in 0:12)

Intended for deathmatch but also supports SP gameplay. Forgettable level. (YT)

shock_exploration3.zip

And here's the demos for the last /levels/doom q wad: The Quest for the Necronomicon. Demos recorded with Maes' fixed version compatible with Doom v1.9.

======= UV-Speed =======
Map      Time
========================
E2M1     0:02
E2M2     0:46 (Pacifist)
E2M3     0:39 (Pacifist)
E2M4     0:18 (Pacifist)
E2M5     0:44 (Pacifist)
E2M6     0:04 (Pacifist)
E2M7     0:58 (Pacifist)

======== UV-Max ========
Map      Time
========================
E2M1     0:03
E2M2     2:28
E2M3     2:33
E2M4     0:27
E2M5     4:54
E2M6     0:57
E2M7     4:47
E2M8     0:14

========= Misc =========
Map      Time   Category
========================
E2M1     0:04   Stroller
E2M2     2:37   UV -fast
E2M3     0:40   NM-Speed
E2M7     0:44   Nomo
Note: max secrets on E2M5 is 95% and max secrets on E2M7 is 50% (kind of, one secret is on a teleporter pad and only accessible via linedef skip).

After this, I plan on working on some other speedrun projects, so I dunno when my next submission to this thread will be.

UV-Max runs (YT)
UV-Speed/Pacifist runs (YT)
Misc runs (YT)

qus_lmps.zip

Hi, I added YouTube links to all the demos for anyone who may have wanted to check the runs out but didn't want to bother downloading the wads. I also made a YouTube playlist for these runs and for any future runs that I record for this thread. Still working on other runs at the moment, but I'll try to keep the thread alive every once in a while with one-off demos.

My contribution to the cause.

Already sent some of these in to dsda so I will mark them as such.

GALILEAN.WAD

All maps UV-Speed 4:42 (dsda)

All maps UV-Max in 7:27

DRUG_ME.WAD

UV-Speed in 1:58 (dsda)

UV-Max in 5:53

RY11ECR.WAD (a deathmatch wad but that still counts right?)

UV-Speed in 0:05 (dsda)

UV-Max in 2:23

URANUS.WAD

UV-Speed in 0:37 (dsda)

UV-Max in 3:53

SWRCTL.WAD

UV-Speed in 1:46

UV-Max in 2:25

A666SECT.WAD

UV-Speed in 1:41 (dsda)

MUDWADS?

MUD1ST UV-Speed in 0:25 (dsda)

MUD1ST UV-Max in 3:44

MUDMANOR UV-Speed in 0:39 (dsda)

MUDTOWN UV-Speed in 0:50 (dsda)

MUDVILLE UV-Speed in 0:26 (dsda)

TSOTSOFL.WAD

All maps UV-Speed in 2:58

Here are the demos: elm_explo1.zip

Hope I got all those links and .txts right, gonna go back and max the ones I didnt already do later.

That last wad is a real classic by the way.

Been awhile for this thread.

We've been investigating certain runs in Other for DSDA that happened to not migrate with comments, and this wad caught my eye as an interesting speedrun rules edge case.

Michael Novikov recorded his run for this wad in v1.9 and skipped a number of monsters that he and Never_Again later believed to be unkillable in v1.9 due to a teleporter setup in this wad (details in my textfile). As a result, his run was moved to Other, and NA's cl0 run is in UV-Max. Well, I found a hacky way to kill those monsters using a very strange attribute of the teleporter closets in question. :P

As a result, MN's demo obviously should be updated to just "UV-Max attempt," the bit that indicates that "Several monsters are unkillable on v1.9." is just no longer true. What's more interesting is the question of whether the v1.2 run should be marked as Other as well due to it being not the typical Doom version used for runs. Obviously, the wad was designed with v1.2 as the intended source port, but that's true of many wads, even arguably Doom 1 itself, where we do not allow v1.2 demos at all. I elaborate a bit on different arguments both ways for this question in my textfile, but I'm curious what others think about these cases. :D

beholder-408.zip

I would say cl0 is valid in this instance, because it replicates the intended behavior of the level, even if the v1.2 emulation isn't perfect. This is the kind of thing that will likely have to be decided on a case-by-case basis.

As for what's going on here, those two lines you shoot through are double-sided, but they don't have the 'two-sided' flag set, which causes the engine to treat it as one-sided for some purposes. I'm not sure what all the functions of that flag are (it affects node builders, too), but it does have some interesting effects when used improperly, like blocking hitscan attacks while allowing projectiles through or permitting see-through one-sided linedefs.

AARRGHH!.WAD

map  | category |  time
 =========================
  E1M1 |  UV Max  |  7:16
  E1M1 | UV Speed |  1:30
  E1M2 |  UV Max  |  8:17
  E1M2 | UV Speed |  1:30
  E1M8 |  UV Max  |  2:03
  E1M8 | UV Speed |  1:30
  E1M9 |  UV Max  | 14:57
  E1M9 |   misc   | 10:35

Four maps from June 1994 by a pair of ingenious Russians. Unusually tough and inventive for its time. Certain tricks employed herein were not seen again for years to come. A work of art from start to finish.

@Ryback expressed an interest in this map set some 12 years ago. Hope you find these demos worth a look. ;)

The cybercoaster demo is a bonus run only included for its unusual ending. Use -skipsec -15 with prb+ or fast-forward with Crispy until you get the BFG.

aarrghh!_na.zip

Edited by Never_Again : fixed mention

_1CHAOS UV Max in 6:07 + a bonus NM run demonstrating a void trip

_3CHAOS UV Max in 5:52

_9CHAOS UV Max in 6:40

Three WADs from August 1994 by self-styled Chaos Brothers. These maps were intended to be part of a complete episode that never saw the light of the day. A pretty common phenomenon, someone should compile a list or something. The first two maps are pretty blah, the secret map is not bad.

_1CHAOS-uvmax-607.zip

_3CHAOS-uvmax-552.zip

_9CHAOS-uvmax-640.zip