Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

D2reload demos [Doom2/+ or -complevel 2]

Pretty quiet around here today...everyone must be busy playing/recording. :)

Anyways, here's Map21 UV Max in 4:38.

Surprised there's no non-FDA demo already in the archives, as this is a very fun and easy blast-a-thon. The secrets are rather nifty as well.

dd21-438.zip

Qaatar said:

Map21 UV Max in 4:38.

A worthy demo for this atmospheric map. Its style of playing remindered me of Anders Johnsen's maxes (recorded in early 2000's, when he played with a much smoother control than he had in 1998). And its level of speed/precision isn't any lower than in many of his demos. You might say "I'm not even close to leading Doom Gods", but in your performance of DD21-438 I don't see any details that are weaker than, for instance, Anders' playing in AV06-454 (even though I'm used to watch demos critically, noticing every miss, every slowdown, every ineffective move). Well, maybe the BFG usage isn't optimized as thoroughly as it could be.

And for these Doom Gods it's also common to think: "My playing is far from godly, etc". Many great players tend to underestimate their place in world-class dooming, it's right for both you and Anders :-)

Map 24 UV-Max in 4:52.

Props to dew for the "door-blazing" insights...saved me 3-4 seconds at the megasphere lift.

More wallrunning and dealing with the revenant/imp trap like a real man would save more time, but are beyond my capabilities. 4:3x possible. Hud used.

dd24-452.zip

Woo-hoo! 21 map have received their UV Maxes in the past five months, as opposed to 8 maxes in the first eight months of the WAD's existence. That leaves only MAP20, MAP23 and MAP25 undone.
I knew I could count on you guys - good job everyone! :)

Never_Again said:

That leaves only MAP20, MAP23 and MAP25 undone.

I'm currently working on Map25, and I might go back to Map20, although I'm not a huge fan of that map.

Map23...I couldn't get the secret with the chaingunners/rockets at the beginning of the map. I even downloaded Doom Builder 2 (my first time using any Doom editing software), and still couldn't find it. Any insights?

Hint: don't be too quick to kill those chaingunners. ;)

Update:

Qaatar said:

and I might go back to Map20, although I'm not a huge fan of that map.

Now you don't have to and can concentrate on the rest. :)
MAP20 "Revelations" - UV Max in 13:02.

I'll have a look at MAP30, that's another hole I missed.

@N_A

Good stuff! I'm not a fan of the last part in Map 20, so it's good that you got it out of the way. :)

Map 25 UV-Max in 6:28

Fucking load of bullshit at the end, but everything came out okay I guess.

dd25-628.zip

All Max tables are filled now.

Map 23 UV-Max in 4:13

3:05, 3:10, 3:21, 3:50, 3:52, 4:12 are cringeworthy...

This is my fourth or fifth exit in less than two hours, so shit isn't even close to optimized. Hud Used. 3:5x definitely possible.

dd23-413.zip

Yeah, the map23 run is pretty ugly in places, but the time is something I couldn't pull off. Well, that's the price of speed for ya. I always thought it a bit silly to do non-Compet-N runs this way, but that's just me, I guess.
As for the map25 demo, it's one of those cases of fucking bullshit that is only noticeable to the demo author. ;) An excellent run in every respect.

That still leaves one map without a max - MAP30. I looked in detail at it yesterday and came conclusion that it's TAS material. eschdoom's NM run is nothing short of amazing, once you get to know the level and the things involved, and even he passed on the first secret. Getting 100% kills and secrets even on plain old UV is another matter, though - as soon as you approach the switch or the windows in the Cybers' room an infinite supply of monsters starts coming in, rendering the run over the pillars to the Spiders' room next to impossible.

So the first challenge is killing both Cybers without getting too close to either the switch or the windows - very hard but doable. The Invisibility should come in handy in provoking the fight between the Cybers and the Spiders. Next is going to the switch to trigger the Arch-Vile cages and killing the closer Archie before making the run over the pillars (you won't be able to hit him from the Spiders' side). However, there's no way to make the Archies rise in their cages without opening the teleporters that let in monsters spawned by the boss shooter, so the run over the pillars will be pure lottery.

Even if you survive these steps and killed the Cyber/Spider/Archie couples, there's still the final jump to the teleporter that takes you to the last secret - the switch that activates the Romero's head crusher. Playing with -nomonsters and saves I only managed it a couple of times out of several dozen attempts. I'm not sure, but it seems that the only way to make it is to make a turn towards the teleporter while in the air. eschdoom's run makes it look easy enough, but he didn't have to waste time killing the Archies and the Spiders, and that time may be plenty to make any attempts at the final jump futile.

Barring any bright ideas this run would be strictly TAS.

Never_Again said:

I always thought it a bit silly to do non-Compet-N runs this way, but that's just me, I guess.

Heh, SAV and I would love to disagree with you. :)

It really just comes down to the motivations behind recording demos. I'm a perfectionist (though not as much as SAV), and I enjoy perfecting routes (under normal gameplay conditions), and then watching them later in satisfying fashion. My favorite type of demo to watch is a long, extremely optimized UV-Max. Not many people seem to do TAS UV-Maxes (other than Andy), so this is pretty much the next best thing for me as a UV-Max demo freak.

Map 30 never even crossed my mind as being able to UV-Max, so I just automatically excluded it from my list. lol

Seriously, is this joke? First I thought that the invulnerability secret is the problem that this is considered as impossible (I hate that word).

I laughed my *** off after realizing that there's an ELEVATOR near the invul (I tried 20 minutes how to use arch-viles to jump from the invul BACK to the "map").

I'm not actually sure if this is correct map because I nearly succeeded on my very first try. Ugly run, very slow and I don't really care to improve (max is not my style) :( Sorry. You go improve :)

Map30
Time: 6:52
UV Max

dd30-652.zip

I know I am no great player but rarely does a demo humble to the point that I wonder if I'm not too old to pursue a more congenial career, like playing dominoes, for example. Last time that happened it was tn09, today it's dd30.

I was probably a little harsh with that last post.

I guess it was hard because the tactic you used. Invulnerability is good against those cybies. No real need to hurry to the crusher.

Paska said:

I was probably a little harsh with that last post.

I guess it was hard because the tactic you used. Invulnerability is good against those cybies. No real need to hurry to the crusher.

Just found this, but great job! I was too lazy to find a route like you did, as I hate MAP30's in general. Then again, it's not surprising, considering that you're the MAP30 master. :)

Qaatar inspired me to try this wad. I did MAP16 UV Max in 4:47.

Hesitated a bit to upload it, but then decided it won't be practical to spend lots of extra time for cutting 2-3 more seconds from it. Well, demo is not free from dirty bits, but it's still much cleaner than my Scythe MAP27 Max of similar length (4:46).

dd16-447.zip

Qaatar said:

Inspired by Artem. :)

There are probably better ways of handling some of the fights here, but I'm not the innovator. :D

I was just going to correct my MM2 MAP28 UV Max, but your godly demo distracted me from it. So first of all I'll work on correcting my DD16 UV Max, combining my ideas with your ones :-) Thank you for an ingenious way to kill revenants quickly and easily, saving a lot of rockets.

EDIT: Sorry, I haven't yet found a way to make a serious improvement (something below 4:00), so I'll leave this solid record to you (at least for now).

@DidierTranber:

Well, I'm currently working to replace my M2281228.LMP with a more modern, more serious record. But nevertheless, thank you for a good suggestion to have some Nightmare fun. This excellent level, D2Reload MAP04, is new to me, but your TAS demo and AB's max run helped me to learn it, and I'll definitely give it a go (even though it can take some hell of a lot of attempts with my aggressive way of playing).

Sorry for the delay -- my fingers weren't in a perfect shape for the past few weeks, so I took a break from real recording, and spent that time practising some of my future runs with savegames.

Didier, here is my MAP04 Nightmare Secrets demo for you, in 3:49. Hope that some day you'll be able to beat it :-)

dd04s349.zip

I've made a TAS UV Speed of map01 in 0:56. The demo was completely built in dre2, except for few very last tics, which were done in prboom-plus. I'm going to continue it and hopefully produce a full 30map movie.
Also if you're wondering why there are psxmusic.wad, pk_doom_sfx.wad and doomnoir.wad in the demo footer, the reason for this is that i'm used to playing d2reload inf ZDaemon. There is one nice d2reload survival server, and these three additional wads are used there, so nowadays i just can't play it without creepy psx music and black-and-white palette. I can remove all this additional stuff from the footer if someone requests to.
Also here is a test video i've made using prboom-plus' awesome viddump function:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_pHJdGvtu8

dd01-056.zip

I'd say it still looks more like a walkthrough, but that must be because of walkthroughy (sic) nature of this map. Was fun to watch nonetheless :)