Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xepop

Doom 2 UV speed TAS movie wip: episodes 1-2

Hi, I've been doing full doom2 TAS movie for a short while and first episode is kind of ready now. There's been some activity in "built scene" and I've heard some frightening rumours of certain players doing some secretive building in their doom laboratories and same rumours say at least one of them is for doom2 and couple "accidents" have happened here only a while ago and so on. That's why I've decided to minimize possible damage and open up for critique with purpose of hopefully attracting possible ideas and/or plain "hi I did that faster years ago" hints.

The question is, how would you like to digest it? Update per map/episode/whatever? I thought update per map would be a cool and would feel a small accomplisment everytime. I'll have to take a couple week break now anyway so next whatever won't be seen in near future.

Doom 2 UV speed movie (built)
Episode 1 in 2:56

WTF THIS IS TRULY TRULY AMAZING!

The chances of 12s happening on map02 are astronomical, possibly not even ultimately hypothetically possible, you need to save 0.6 and the glide was from about 05.71 to 05.94 + preserving your speed won't save more than a few tics. Have we ever seen an instant guideless glide btw?
I liked the quirks in map06: the door boosts popularized by Looper and the keygrab

The only built thing I've done since, was make a 52s continuation after Rambo's map12 rj run, I'm sure with your building skills you can make 51s. 33s on map12 will be hard though ;)

I think update per map will be too fast for little action, do the update when you finish the episode or the whole game.
Let us know when you'll work on it again :)

Do it map by map, so we can whine every week and bump the thread asking "where's progress? need moar!!" more often. Seriously, i developed a phobia of unfinished 30uvtasspeeds already.
And yeah, grand work, jawdropping and stunning results to say the least. Thank you for being awesome.

This really looks like we're seeing a new generation of built runs, a lot of novelty in approaches. Makes me want to adopt your techniques and improve my plutonia run, hehe.

oh my goodness.
now, this is what I expect from TAS movies. I like the extreme polished turns all the time. I just remember a 100%kills demo on map31 from forgot who, which impressed me (for the movements i mean) like yours now
awesome :)

Looked into the demo and was surprised to see GF49 SL49 in the very first tic :) Dunno why, just feels weird to see non-full acceleration in the beginning of map01. I guess it's to get more straight route between the soldiers, but it's so cool i had to comment on this. And yes, i'm easily amused, please ignore my mumbling :D

That's something Looper noticed. With GF49 SL49 you're one tic more in the starting platform, thus getting more movement speed while in the air. Difference is of course minimal, but I thought it would be funny to start like that and I decided to modify it in. Similarly with GF45 SL45 in map10, too :)

Have we ever seen an instant guideless glide btw?

No, I don't think so. But I do have a feeling that it might be possible. Don't know how would I approach testing for such thing, though.

Wow, this is a nice surprise. Keep up the good work.

I'd be interested to see how many tics you've saved over Rambo's unfinished built(?) run.

I don't normally download TAS demos.

But when I do, it blows my fucking mind.

good work, I really like it, but (my taste is speaking nothing else) I would prefer to see those FAST turns only if they are needed, if they aren't needed then I like smooth turns better, imo it makes the whole run smoother

Second installment for your viewing pleasure. As for the smooth turns, I'm not really a fan of it in straight speed category. I'm kind of torn between smoothing turns for viewing pleasure and just straight "turn only when necessary." Ultimately I would like every turn to be sharp. Slow and smooth turns feels kind of slithering through like a worm. Not really the godlike all-knowing style I'd like. Not to mention the additional work. Compromises were made, though, and thus will be made.

20uv-813.zip

xepop said:

Second installment for your viewing pleasure. As for the smooth turns, I'm not really a fan of it in straight speed category. I'm kind of torn between smoothing turns for viewing pleasure and just straight "turn only when necessary." Ultimately I would like every turn to be sharp. Slow and smooth turns feels kind of slithering through like a worm. Not really the godlike all-knowing style I'd like. Not to mention the additional work. Compromises were made, though, and thus will be made.

Holy. I'm speechless. Please, finish this.

So smoooooooth map13. map20 is great too, didn't expect to see a self-boost which prevents the teleporter-wait, really cool stuff.
Also, what 1ntru said :p

The only built thing I've done since, was make a 52s continuation after Rambo's map12 rj run, I'm sure with your building skills you can make 51s. 33s on map12 will be hard though ;)

wow, you crushed kimo's expectations.

I wasted so much time to build 30no1356... but now I'm sure it sucks. :(
Awesome job. I think, you can easily make 12s on map21 using 2x door speed trick, but I'll be even happier if you'll make 11s. Also, are you going to do 10s on map22? It's possible. ;)

Spectacular! the absolute best demo I’ve ever seen. just when I thought it is impossible to improve rambobones wip-559 =) mindblowing stuff here.

Great stuff.

I loved the casual extra lap around map13 while waiting for the elevator, and it was nice to get to see the regular exit of map15 for a change. I always suspected it'd be faster if fully optimized.

Love it, Sedlo started two years ago same thing, I think he made it to map06 and then never finished it, hmm, I'll search my archive for that demo, want to compare it :)

Could you also upload it in case you find it? I'm a sucker for Sedlo's stuff and obviously there are more guys there who are fans of his work, even if it appears to be much slower than xepop's run :)

It wasn't the same thing like fx mentioned. I started new slow motion run of doom2 actually since I watched the old built run and decided to do something with close times but nicer look. It's not possible to achive built times ofc, but I'm sure it wouldn't be slow either. I mean great work guys really for this, it's nice to know whats possible in doom, but i'm a player, and I need to feel the player behind the demo, programming tics do not show this to me. Dunno if I have that run anymore, since I lost all my stuff from old hdd, but what happened there, I got to lvl06, was about to do lvl07 when someone pointed out there is new trick on lvl02, I watched it and man, thought how stupid I was not checking for something like that so I decided to redo it from lvl02, I couldn't make that trick eazy tho and dunno why I stoped for the moment there, unfortunally never went back to finish it. Hope fx will find the demo since I really forgoten what exact times I got, I did hell of a job on map01 tho, spent some time to finally do 4 secs non built run, I think first ever non built run there so U see it shoulda be fast run. Never mind it's a slow motion trust me this thing was very hard to pull off. Cannot remember what was my lvl02 time using old route, neither lvl03, as for lvl04 it was such a pain in the ass, I remember that, couldn't get close to built run, think I was 2 secs slower on the end, lvl05 I forgot, think I made same or 1 sec slower time then old built run. On lvl06 I think it was 42. Using something I haventh seen in old built nor this one, mobs keepeing the doors open for me when I come back to lift after picking the key, also did something there that seems like a weird move but it was to move imps from the way ( in case fx find the demo and post). So what I actually wanted was to make another tas movie, which would look great and times would be close to built runs. For those who don't understand, built is fastest way and it will never be challanged with any other way of playing. Slow motion runs are ofc way more advance then normal playing but still no match for built run, except if u implement some new thing or show extreme skill. Whats characteristic, longer the run is more advance built gets, or oposite, so in short runs like 4 sec map01 and simple movement u can equall built run time, but in longer runs hardly, also more complex movement or situations are built pwns everything again. For this run I still think of it as a good idea, it would be slower then built indeed, but I think it would look much much better but I do not have so much time anymore to finish what I started...will see maybe sometimes in future...

Edited...after I saw comments I checked the full run with smoothness on and it looked much nicer to me. Felt I gotta change my comment there. As I sed feeling player is still my numero uno but it's all matter of taste really. This run is truly amazing job, it prolly took a lot of time so gratz for it. I was nice suprised at several spots so yes pls finish the job, don't be like me. Btw... I think Map02 can be improved. There is faster way to do blue key-exit path. It will be pain tho, since it requires some heavy mobs manipulation, and that prolly suck in built demo. I sorta went there on feel, dunno how I would guess the right tics or how it would look in a built run :).
Hope I'm not mistakin, didn't really do any calculations it's just talking on what I felt, but hey I actually never mistaken in past when I told myselfe somehing is beatable :). Great demo never tho less.

lol posted and noticed fx found the demo, gonna watch it now...hope I remembered it right :).

Sedlo! Sedlo!! Oh my god I can't believe it! Sedlo himself! You are the MAN! Just wanna let you know it. Are you still making demos? It would be awesome.

Akse said:

Sedlo! Sedlo!! Oh my god I can't believe it! Sedlo himself! You are the MAN! Just wanna let you know it. Are you still making demos? It would be awesome.

This. Sedlo (and other old Compet-N'ers), come back from retirement! :)

I second Akse's comment, it would be really awesome to see you recording again, tas or non-tas :)
Even though i myself got so used to jerky turns that i watch built demos without prboom-plus' smoothening function and find them very aesthetically pleasing, i'm sure many players would find a non-built version more entertaining than a built one.
Also, the times in your movie are really nice, interesting demo to say the least. I'll study it more deeply tomorrow.

yeah sed, you should record something so you can stop camping map01 against me for a while. or is it just your old joints moving so slow? :)

Oh, thanks for all the welcomes. Well, I've been away from single player stuffs for some time now, but Dew to answer your question I'm prolly faster then I ever was. Deathmatch is another good way of improving your movement skills, watching some of my old stuff today makes me smile, since I see so much slow downs and I hope noone ever took serious those "this is optimal" in 90% of my recordings :). It maybe was back in 2000 today it's just something to improve. Maybe if things start up to role with fx's attempt to bring the good old compet-n back to life, I join at some point. For all those who plan to make some nice new records, I wish U all g'luck and do not loose hope if things are not going eazy as u planned, if u set up your mind to do something, it is possible.
All those records, are just old now, just few are truly optimal, trust me when I say doom movement evolved greatly from the time those were made. If nothing I'm glad I was part of this :).