Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

midair boost from a monster?

Hi, I was thinking what cool speedrun tricks I could put in my map and that got me wondering: has anyone ever done something like this? -> picture. Basically, the player is moving in one direction but thanks to a monster attack the direction changes and thus he is able to bypass the red bars. I guess it would be TAS-only material but I still would like to know if it's doable at all and if there are any demos with similar tricks.

Not with the vectors shown in your screenshot. An attack from that direction would push you away from the ledge, not toward it.

I guess I should have explained... that green fart :p is the player, the vector on the right shows his direction and the other vector is an imp fireball or something like that.

To try, I'd make the blocking bar's really thin, like 8 or 4 pixels maybe, and maybe make the area past the bars a step downward 8-24 pixels because gravity will make you lose height and maybe not be able to be knocked back up easily otherwise. And it'd maybe be best if the projectile was aiming toward the OTHER side of the bars instead of at the player, so maybe make a cyber or someone in a cage over there infight a bunch of imps on the opposite side, so you can guarantee a lot of fireballs being flung that direction.

memfis, stop spoiling my ideas for unholy realm speed routes. the obv monster is archvile, for everything else you'd need the target platform to be lower... and it'd get stupid to orchestrate.

I tried this idea once:
Player is on a tiny 64x64 or so island with a barrel on it. A vile is on an island in front, a target island is behind you. There's not enough room to run and vile blast to the target island so instead you have to blow the barrel up in your face at the same time the vile blasts you to propel backwards as well as up. It was pretty meh.

Maybe making a jump require a DOUBLE vile blast to get enough height would be cool, hard to make 2 viles cooperate though. I made a map with an unreachable door way up a wall that required a gang of viles blasting you up to open and go through it once.

Could be usable with a supertimed cyberboost. Or maybe harddoom or other mods that add new monsters like SSG guys etc.

I was already thinking about some monster boost trick like this during making ksutra.wad. It ended as cyber-rocket-boost-to-teleport trick in map 17. So at least something :-)

It would probably be much easier to do with a thing obstacle like a tree or marble pillar blocking your path so that you wouldn't lose your inertia when colliding with it like you do with the physical walls.