Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

Switcheroom and Switcheroom 2 demos [-complevel 3 and 2]

AD_79 said:

E1 UV-Speed in 10:26. Not very good, I took it really safe in certain areas, it's still improvable by a lot.

It was, but I wonder if you knew just how. ;)

E1 - UV Speed in 9:42
And yes, that's with the secret level included.

swtchrm-e1-sp-942s_na.zip

Thank you, guys. The NoMo run has been done for two months, actually, even in two flavors - with and without the secret level - I just thought that a UV Speed would be much more interesting to watch because of the extra challenge and held off posting them first. I'll post the longer one here, it is the more fun one of the two, I think.

As for the other episodes, I didn't go beyond E2M5 (not counting E4M6). Loved everything up to that point, and then that map majorly PO'd me. It sticks out like a sore thumb in that collection. I mean, the sudden jump in the difficulty is simply ridiculous. It's probably a good map on its own merit, but it just doesn't belong in that map slot.
Then for the last couple of months I've been working through a certain megawad that has, IMO, a completely undeserved reputation for being demo-unfriendly - I'll see if I manage to post the results produced so far in time for the next DSDA update. Switcheroom is a fine WAD, of course, but has nothing on the nearly magical pull that WAD has on me; so exploring it further has been put way back on backburner.

@didier: yes, the E1M3 secret exit trick does look like something out of Good At Doomâ„¢, but only at the first glance.

In GaD you exit when the player is gibbed, the exit action triggered with the help of a DeHackEd patch.

In my run it's a different thing altogether. It's a kind of a death-slide exit using a barrel jump. The player uses the explosion of the barrel to propel himself through the window onto the secret exit teleporter.

Note that the player is too tall to fit through the window normally, so he has to die to get through. Also if you watch that part of the demo with Prboom-plus' free camera (tap twice the 0/INS key on the keypad to activate it) you will see that the player is not gibbed. I doubt this trick would work if the player gibbed himself, but of course anyone is welcome to try and prove me wrong. ;)

Oh, and the .deh patch that all of my Switcheroom demos were recorded with only changes the level titles in the automap. The demos will play back properly without that patch too.

OK, now here is the rest of my post-worthy Switcheroom demos:

• E1M3 - NoMo in 0:11 (secret exit)
  • E1M3 - Pacifist in 1:22 (secret exit)
  • E1M4 - Pacifist in 1:50
  • E1M8 - Pacifist in 0:19
  • E1 ---- NoMo movie in 5:34 (incl. the secret level)

swtchrm-misc-feb6-2015_na.zip

Episode 1 UV-Speed in 7:35.

Still improvable. I didn't do the secret level, by the way :P

Times:
M1: 0:19
M2: 0:54
M3: 0:54
M4: 0:46
M5: 1:35
M6: 0:37
M7: 2:12
M8: 0:18

sre1-735.zip

AD_79 said:

Episode 1 UV-Speed in 7:35.

Still improvable. I didn't do the secret level, by the way :P

Good, this doesn't compete with swtchrm-e1-sp-942s, then. ;) It demolishes my unreleased swtchrm-e1-sp-843 from December (attached, not DSDA material anymore, I guess), though.

M1: 0:19
You can definitely do better. My best here is 0:17, with getting the RL. BTW, how often would you say does the first Sarge not die in three pistol plinks? Or the next two in one shotgun blast? :\

M2: 0:54
I see you figured out that the blue armor is worth the slight detour. OTOH, you leave the backpack behind. Stopping for it and the extra rocket could be worth the time to speed up the exit on E1M4.

M3: 0:54
If you want to get fancy there's a thing-wobble shortcut (demonstrated in the attached demo) from the slime tunnels to the ledge with the Sarge, Zombie and chaingun. You can slide over the Demons' heads so you don't have to spend time killing any. Depends entirely on luck, and the gains are marginal; good for a show-off, though.
The supercharge still seems unnecessary.

M4: 0:46
Still too cautious. Also see the backpack comment for E1M2.

M5: 1:35
Now you're on your turf: raw speed and dexterity. I see you chose to return from the blue key the way you came, rather than using the south hallway, as in your first run. That worked for you then, so why not use it again?
Before you head for the blue key, opening the door to the east and shooting the barrel seems like a good idea to me. If you hit the barrel you'll take out the Zombies; if you don't you will still draw out most of the monsters from that narrow passage and make it quicker through after getting the blue key.
Getting the supercharge here might be preferable to having to chew your way through Specters on the next map. There's also a medkit you could grab with no appreciable loss of time in the western corner of the room before the supercharge secret.

M6: 0:37
The supercharge here costs you about 10 seconds. Wouldn't it be better to invest half that time into the box of rockets on the other side? It could speed up Demon disposal on the next map.
Real smooth execution of the RJ, well done.

M7: 2:12
Good time now. Demons + rockets = possibly even better time? Health, I presume, intentionally kept low throughout for the next map.

Whew, that was fast. And a spectacular finish, too. So that's what you hoarded your rox for! :P

AD_79 said:

E2M8 UV-Speed (also max?) in 0:46.

Yep, that's a UV Max. Note that the IWAD E2M8 has no UV Speed.
Amusing how you manage to dodge all those Lost Souls only to blow one up in your face at 0:37. And how at 0:40 the Cyber casually flicks three of them out of his way.

swtchrm-e1-sp-843_na.zip

E1 UV-Speed in 6:47, not bad. I still need to actually use rockets, but I think I'm gonna move on to E2 now.

Times:
M1: 0:17
M2: 0:49
M3: 0:44
M4: 0:38
M5: 1:18
M6: 0:34
M7: 2:09

sre1-647.zip