Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PjSpartacus

Question regarding speed running morals/rules

Um, I still don't understand, so how does the menu help you in Map24? You press ESC, then what do you do exactly that is so different from normal playing?

I think it helps to always get the MF50 SL50 start. So it would like this in replay editor:

WT
WT
MF50 SL50 <-- important to get MF50 SL50 on this frame
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50

If you don't use the pause you might get:
WT
WT
MF50
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50

or
WT
WT
SL50
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50

or
WT
WT
SL40
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50

or
WT
WT
MF50 SL40
MF50 SL50
MF50 SL50

That makes sense. It's a somewhat hacky cousin to advanced ports' "one-key" sr50 binds, or vanilla's quickstart, of course. I can agree it's another exploit that feels somewhat dirty, because Doom speedrunning is strongly focused on player's ingame actions only, however it actually may be on the legal side.

I mean, it should work the same even for actual pausing, right? There's nothing in CN rules about pausing afaik, and according to this thread there only were gentlemanly expectations. Now if you litter your 30uv with short pauses (with actual pause tics), it will stand out like a sore thumb and it's certainly going to look less cool, but if I'm not missing anything, it should be possible in the original game. Using menus in advanced ports is sort of like editing out the pause tics then - which probably would enter the grey area.

What do other people think? I mean, there were calls for banning or separating void glides and back in the day some people were frothing at the mouth because of sr50. Maybe the game evolved a little again? Also as a side effect, this would actually make the runs more accessible to other runners, not just the few crazies with infinite time to waste. ;)

To me this feels exactly like pause buffering from OOT, with one exception though - pause in doom does not get accounted for in the final timing if you're doing a single segment run. But, for example, in RTA runs i'd say it would make sense to allow this sort of stuff.