Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

No End In Sight demos [-complevel 3]

This is a demo thread for No End In Sight by NaturalTvventy, Xaser and Chris Lutz. It is an Ultimate Doom megawad, so the preferred prboom-plus complevel is 3. The first three episodes are vanilla compatible, so vanilla and choco are also an option, but the fourth ep is definitely limit removing.

Considering the vanilla aspect, the preferred short naming convention should look like, e.g. N1E1-123.

-mod
-----------------------------------

No End In Sight E4M6

UV-Speed in 3:07

Recorded with PRBoom-Plus

-complevel 3

neis46-307.zip

Note: requires v1.2 - get it here.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

100% Secrets - All Maps (except ExM0's).

Recorded with PRBoom-Plus.

Most are recorded -nomonsters -skill 4
Maps that require monsters are recorded -skill 1

The exception is e4m8, which is the above UV-max run.

neis-secrets.zip

Note: requires v1.2 - get it here.

Edited by NaturalTvventy

Hey there! I did a casual max of all E1 maps, except e1m8 which already has a max. I basically hit record while playing through E1 again, so these are all first exit/attempt demos, nothing serious.

Using the latest version 1.3 from /idgames.

NEIS_E1.zip

Here's an actual speedrunning attempt: e1m8 UV-Max (I assume we aren't counting the dudes in the dark exit room) in 0:54. Wanted to see if under a minute was possible after watching @paymentplan's demo. Apparently so if the Barons cooperate and bunch up.

n1e8-054.zip

20 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Here is the rest of the E2 table filled. Casual maxes, nothing serious, etc.

Thanks! But... n2e6? :)

It would seem so yes, which is a bit surprising since it's not like I've made a conscious decision to avoid all UD wads. I guess I just really like the SSG.

8 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Here's some casual E4 fill. e4m8 has a max. From what I've heard , e4m7 doesn't work in -cl3 and will be getting a fix. And e4m6 is several tiers above the rest of the set in difficulty, so that will take a bit of extra time.

n4e1-549.zip

n4e2-4029.zip

n4e3-904.zip

n4e4-2354.zip

n4e5-1955.zip

n4e9-859.zip

Thanks for posting. Nice job semi-breaking 4-2. 4-9 sadly desyncs In PRBoom-Plus, unless I’m doing something wrong. 

33 minutes ago, NaturalTvventy said:

4-9 sadly desyncs In PRBoom-Plus, unless I’m doing something wrong. 

Seems alright on my end. I just drag the demo over the GL/PRBoom+ .exe and it works. How does it desync? I'm using v1.3, unless there has been a ninja-update I'm not aware of. It does desync in v1.2, for which the secret demos were made.

yes i had issues with desyncs and had to go download the wad again from idgames (v1.3) - unfortunately the .wad files themselves are not differentiated by the filename, which is a big no-no in my book, but i appreciate it looks nicer than ''neisv2.wad" for example

I wish there was a real convention for versioning wads that doesn't involve misnaming the wad file. The multiplayer wadhosts are the ones really dropping the ball on this front, but that's a story for another time.

I should probably get into the habit of adding a VERSION lump to the wad files so folks can crack it open and easily tell in case they lose the corresponding textfile. Dunno why I didn't think of that until now. 9_6

thats a clever idea - i still think the naming convention is easiest though - quick and dirty but it cant really be misinterpreted or missed.

I've thought about this before. It's unfortunate the wad format itself doesn't include version in the header. The only way I can see to distinguish different versions is by use of generic hashes or checksums (crc32, md5sum, sha1sum or whatever). You can't trust timestamps or filenames so nothing else is available.

The wad format is flexible enough to support new lumps for versioning purposes but then source ports would have to provide the functions to use it. The problem extends further since none of the demo formats (*.lmp files) store wad or map versions either. Once again this could be changed going forward if everyone agreed on exactly how this was going to be done and how lmp format would be changed (unlikely).

The demo format has the worst problem of all since it has no idea of:

1. what engine created it (the best is prboom+ which captures commandline in a trailer) or
  2. what version of the wad was used (only captures map number used, e.g. map17)

As a low tech compromise, prboom+ does the best job for demos and modifying it to  capture a checksum into the demo trailer would be easy to add. Of course knowing the checksum doesn't easily get you the the wad you need, you still have to track it down somewhere on the big bad internet or somewhere in your wads folder.

Edited by tmorrow

Since I have quite a bit of schoolwork, I can't really do many demos at the moment. This level was relatively short (and simple), so I did it just to be active. :P

E2M8 UV-Max in 1:28

n2m8-128.zip

If anyone wants to have a laugh: I was 40-something minutes into e4m6. Rocking nearly 200/200 with 300 cells. Had one monster and one secret remaining... Managed to eat 2 Cyber rockets from the final enemy by the exit. I ain't even mad!

19 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

If anyone wants to have a laugh: I was 40-something minutes into e4m6. Rocking nearly 200/200 with 300 cells. Had one monster and one secret remaining... Managed to eat 2 Cyber rockets from the final enemy by the exit. I ain't even mad!

Where’s the demo? 😊