Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hiirulainen

Favorite Weapon on Doom/Doom2 ??

I believe id had hoped the Chainsaw would become everyone's favourite weapon. Not only it has priority over the berserked fist, but it has its very own "gimme" cheat, unlike any other Doom weapon.

I like how the Plasma Rifle is a panic manager. It's best for sustained fire, like when the player is suddenly assaulted, s/he'll switch to the Rifle and keep on firing. On the other hand, short bursts are not recommended with the Plasma Rifle, so don't use it against zombies.

For me it is the chaingun. It doesn't instantly kill enemies without being as tedious like the pistol.

I think I like the shotgun the best, but the berserk fist is also really high on my list. Of course, when I first started playing Doom when I was younger, I liked the BFG for its novelty.

It's hard to pinpoint a favorite weapon, since each one has its place in the game. I'd say I prefer the plasma rifle for tougher monsters or hordes of monsters, and the shotguns for anything else. I also use the rocket launcher a fair amount, although there's more risk inherent in its use, and the chaingun for things which the plasma rifle is too much for. The BFG I restrict to using against only really big things, or sometimes hordes of revenants. Also, when I can, I always choose to use the chainsaw against demons and cacodemons.

Overall, I'd probably go with the shotgun; it's a very well-rounded weapon with abundant ammo.

I like the gameplay of the super shotgun since there is a longish pause between blasts leaving you momentarily defenseless. Berzerk fists are also fun since you are required to be in close proximity which is more risky/challenging. Zdoom seems to screw up the gameplay of the bfg (seems monsters only get hit while you are looking at them on screen), but I don't really like such firepower unless you have quite limited ammo.

I pretty much don't like the plasma gun since the bfg uses the same ammo so why waste it on plasma.. actually typically I accidently switch to plasma when running out of shells and accidently fire a few plasma shots thus sometimes losing a complete bfg blast from those missing cells.

For heretic I quite like that crossbow, but the chain mace ball shooter thing is completely stupid in both normal and powered up form.