Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Doom Movie, For Real This Time?

hmm I don't have a good feeling about this. actually I don't even have a good feel about the new doom. but we will see about that.

I remember playing levels like deadbase and feeling utterly alone, like really been thrown on some kind of planet and having to fight for your life. only coop could top that. looks like ID is aming at that for doom3 as well. I just hope they're not trying to create some kind of lame acion movie with an even lamer storyline but rather kind of an end time scenario (do you say that in english?? ;) and a lonely marine that has NO hope of escape. the movie will have to be dark and probably you won't really need a 13+ rating for that kind of mood... on the other hand what's going to happen to those wonderful I'm-out-of-ammo-and-need-to-use-the-chainsaw-now-action?? =)

Hell, I'd love to see doomguy rip through some imps with a chainsaw in a movie...but i don't see that happening, way too much gore. As I said, it should be R, how you gonna make all the corpses hanging off walls and stuff on pg-13? god i hope this movie doesn't blow...

I can't believe some of the dumb fucks that think this could work pg13. Have you ever even played doom? And god damn it if u don't understand the books how can u bitch about it. The guys who wrote em must've been on serious drugs and you need some basic intelligence to understand it. If you don't have it that doesn't mean they suck, it means you suck.
A million people are gonna request to write it, so dream on^ (great song) and for anyone who doesn't post something to bitch about the rating fuck off.

Yes, they WERE on serious drugs.

Doesn't mean it's healthy for everybody or anybody else to be thinking in the same vein as they were when they wrote the books.

Read my lips: just say no to Dafydd Ab-Hugh and Brad Linaweaver's Doom novels.

Oh this makes my day.
After a long day of work i come to the forums and see talk about using the novels as a base for the movie. This is a nightmare that i didn't even think about initially. that would destroy any hope this half-assed idea ever had. however, id also hated the books, and they have creative control over this movie (from what i gathered), so i really don't think this is possible.

Doom3 next year...Doom Movie = $$$$$$$$$.
Doom Movie = good?....not very likely.
Game superior to Movie...for sure.

bigbadgangsta said:

The novels are the root of all evil. Please never mention those horrible things again.

The novels are good. Also, DO YOU THINK THE MOVIE PRODUCER IS GOING TO MAKE UP A STORY!? Thats a horrible idea. And don't even THINK about pestering Romero about the whole story. Whatever, I'll end up seeing it. My movie will be more 1337 (TGW based).

wavelength121 said:

As I recall, John Romero said he would want Patrick Swayze to play the Doom Marine, because he did such a good job in Stargate. Hmmm. I can see that.

Although you're just talking about an actor, I feel I must put this on the table; Doom the movie will not be nearly as good as stargate.

The novels are good. Also, DO YOU THINK THE MOVIE PRODUCER IS GOING TO MAKE UP A STORY!? Thats a horrible idea.

You're wrong about the novels, and the movie producer will be making the story because that's what producers do.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bigbadgangsta said:

The novels are the root of all evil. Please never mention those horrible things again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/b]
heh

I wanna write the movie :(

So write it. Seriously do.

I just moved to L.A. and am living with a movie producer who I am working for. I'm reading a bunch of screenplays right now, so I'm learning how they are written. I've long been interested in writing and would naturally like to try my hand at the screenplay. However I wouldn't know how to piece together the plot. But together, we could see this Movie to the big screen the way it should be. This could be the ultimate Doom Community project. If you guys don't want the movie to suck - then take this project into your own hands, write some plot ideas, theme ideas etc. on how to make the movie good. Yes, there are some obstacles, mainly the PG-13 rating. Let me offer some hope - look at LOTR:FOTR - that was a pretty scary movie - pretty gory - it was PG-13.

Due to my newfound disposition, I can get a Doom Screenplay read by the right people. So stop whining about how much the movie is gonna suck and start DOING something about it. Maybe if Warner Bros. receives a kick ass R script, they'll realize that a very good R movie will make more money than a very bad PG-13 movie (how dumb can they be?)

I'll try to get some contact info and we can spam the hell outta Warner Bros. about the PG-13 bit. :P

I can just see the credits roll now:

"DOOM"

Screenplay written by the DOOMWORLD website fanbase :)

Movies based on games are all about making an easy buck so off of an already established audience so expect:

1) Low budget
2) fx from a no-name house
3) Unknown writer (hey, I probably qualify for that) :)
4) Newbie director

As already stated the PG13 is to increase the potential ticket sales; this also indicates that the budget on this will be razor thin. Look at what has already been said about the movie They are going to ram this through the pipe as fast as they can and spend as little as possible.

However, the above list doesn't necessarily mean a bad movie. All of the Evil Dead movies were low budget and all of them are among my favorites. Just because the movie doesn't have a big budget doesn't mean it will be a bad movie. Depends on the script and director.

However, the PG13 rating indicates to me, that it will be heavily sanitized and watered down which means that if the movie is going to work at all, the writer is going to have to be skillfull enough to create tension and horror from what you don't see as opposed to what you do. Sometimes, this actaully makes a movie scarier (Hitchcock was a master at this). This means you almost have to have an experienced writer/director, though, and that cost money and time.

The question I have is how much input id will have on the process. I am not sure how to read the comments from id on this; Hollywood really is a members only club so I don't expect much.

What id should do, is to produce the movie themelves through the indie channels. Hell, I bet they could afford it, and with Todd as executive producer, they could manage the movie a lot better than through a studio. They could get a screenwriter and director who would care about the movie, rather than just trying to get something out the door in time for the game release.

Actually if it's something like Straship Troopers but is not just a cheap clone of it, it could work out. I mean, that movie had some of the characteristics of DOOM already, in addition it was an subtle satire on wartime/propaganda movies and was ironical.

It is also very likely, though, that the movie will have the typical melodramatic touches that are common in hollywood movies... where they re-work a story (or add one to something that harly had one) to something that the producers think would attract their model audience (I have a hard time thinking that the retarded teens they seem to envision exist... hopefully I'm not just optimistic.) In the end it might just be one long and cheap DOOM III ad (actually the 2nd time I saw The Phantom Menace I thought something like "huh, did I just watch a movie or a long toy/videogame commercial?"

PG-13 for a Doom movie? Dear god no! That means they'll actually have to slave day and night making an (ugh) storyline instead of just giving us 90 minutes of senseless and unrealistic violence!

I think the movie would be great if it followed the book storyline and was rated R. Because that's were all the videogame/ movies fall apart when they don't use the orginal storyline.

1) NO DO NOT BASE IT ON THE FUCKING BOOK THEY SUCK IT.

2) What does it matter they are going to try to shoot for a PG-13 rating? Remember that after Columbine, Doom has garnered a bad name and if they had a Rated R movie based on Doom and some kid saw it and shot up his school, what do you think would happen? More hell would break lose towards Doom. PG-13 still allows violence and SOME cursing, so, quit your bitching.

bigbadgangsta said:

What does it matter they are going to try to shoot for a PG-13 rating? Remember that after Columbine, Doom has garnered a bad name and if they had a Rated R movie based on Doom and some kid saw it and shot up his school, what do you think would happen? More hell would break lose towards Doom. PG-13 still allows violence and SOME cursing, so, quit your bitching.

That is the dumbest thing ever said. You don't make movies thinking someone is going to go kill someone else because they saw it. That's retarded. A PG-13 movie based on Doom will suck because lets face it, Doom has a very poor story line and a movie wouldn't help it much. Doom will walk a fine line between action and story, with a lot of graphic images in there to keep it interesting, IMO anyway.

hell yea, i have awaited this, like all of us. Base it on Doom3? well based on only the limited knowledge we have of Doom3, cannot accurately imagine the aspects such as atmosphere, continuity, fear factor. We know doom3 is more about the fear factor, more slow paced, but when action comes i expect it to be loud and sickening, and something to think on. Stuff like where the hell is that think?
Most importantly, its imperitive that the original demons and creatures are in! Many times I have imagined how much more savage they would be. When waves of zombies and thorny imps eviscerate people, everyone looks on in terror as the first caco demon makes its appearance, very large, roaring down onto a normal suburb or town, with a defening hiss, and snarl, matched with the screams of the people who notice it. And the daunting vast size of the cyber, visible past a 2nd storey window, hunting through the abandoned town, while you hide inside a home knowing he could look in your window next. And a spider emerging from the smoke. I have envisioned these in dreams. so have friends :P
O man, please have some similar activity! duuude. *drool*
Fire,heat and HELL breaking through the civilised worlds, the cultists now cowering below the new formidable force.

bigbadgangsta said:

1) NO DO NOT BASE IT ON THE FUCKING BOOK THEY SUCK IT.

2) What does it matter they are going to try to shoot for a PG-13 rating? Remember that after Columbine, Doom has garnered a bad name and if they had a Rated R movie based on Doom and some kid saw it and shot up his school, what do you think would happen? More hell would break lose towards Doom. PG-13 still allows violence and SOME cursing, so, quit your bitching.

Cursing? Oh wow! That sure will capture all the atmosphere and memories of the halls of the damned, and the desperation of Mt.erebus. (dont worry 3.1 on sarcasm scale; more to come)
Rock music was condemend and blamed for rebellion and brain washing. yea yea, nothing has ruined the world. Bring it on.
I want to blow chunks and re-eat the result while being flamed by imp fire, i want scarring. Bring it, its what this movie deserves.
If they aint gonna do it justice, dont make it. we will wait longer for the effort.
No matter what, I will see this movie, because Doom is what I love, i love this game for lots of ways.

Bigbadgansta I don't think you are thinking correctly no matter what the public says it's not going to be happy with doom no matter what the rating is. Just like you won't be happy no matter what they do with the movie. Plus the media always find something to blame for the way people act videogames/movies/ and or music. The one thing they forget to blame is their selfs. anyway back to the subject at hand I will see the movie no matter what and buy the movie no matter what because I love doom and will support it even if it suck. Second have you read any of the books or do you just go by what other people say or go by the majority. Third what makes people go see movie and t.v. shows. Conflict and trouble if the media blames doom for something like kids shooting up people than you can rest a sure more people will flock to go see it. Also they freaking had a problem with Harry stinking potter. Holla

The fucking Mppa has field days with many R rated movies, requiring the editors that if they don't trim this or that, it'll get the Nc-17 rating. I refuse to see the Doom movie if it is pg-13, just walking into a room splattered with corpses (like Monster Condo of Doom II) will probably warrant a R rating alone!...not to mention the gory deaths of our beloved demonic fiends among many other things! I'll wait till it comes out uncut on dvd.

We really have to let id know that they shouldn't aim for a pg-13 rating...I know id will take a active part in intimately watching the production of the film. Videogame companies DO listen to their customers, why not make the same if they’re going to be selling game licenses to Hollywood.

Mel Gibson
Sylvester Stallone
Bruce Cambell

None of these actors LOOK even remotely like the doomguy, so I say no way. Especially not Mel Gibson - he's a girl charmer, not a badass.
Dunno what Vin Diesel looks like, never heard of him before a month ago.
And everyone saying that they should base the movie off the abhorable Doom novels needs to put a bullet through his brain. Those books are the WORST thing that has happened to Doom so far, even beating the stupid Doom comic - go read some of the fan fics in the fan fics/pics forum to see stuff that is vastly better written than those sickening novels.

So write it. Seriously do.

I just moved to L.A. and am living with a movie producer who I am working for. I'm reading a bunch of screenplays right now, so I'm learning how they are written. I've long been interested in writing and would naturally like to try my hand at the screenplay. However I wouldn't know how to piece together the plot. But together, we could see this Movie to the big screen the way it should be. This could be the ultimate Doom Community project. If you guys don't want the movie to suck - then take this project into your own hands, write some plot ideas, theme ideas etc. on how to make the movie good. Yes, there are some obstacles, mainly the PG-13 rating. Let me offer some hope - look at LOTR:FOTR - that was a pretty scary movie - pretty gory - it was PG-13.

Due to my newfound disposition, I can get a Doom Screenplay read by the right people. So stop whining about how much the movie is gonna suck and start DOING something about it. Maybe if Warner Bros. receives a kick ass R script, they'll realize that a very good R movie will make more money than a very bad PG-13 movie (how dumb can they be?)

Tell you what? I think I'll try and devote some time on fixing together a plotline (what basically happens in my idea of a movie) and then I'll send it to you so that you can turn it into a script, maybe I should send it around to some of the better writers on these forums for them to check it out too, giving them a chance to fill in their ideas.
Hellbent, do you have AIM?

I'd say Vin Diesel or Bruce Willis so far, because they both look like the Doomguy and seem to be able to play the role of the badass.
(and imho it wouldn't be Doom if the hero ain't at least a badass).

dsm said:

I'd say Vin Diesel or Bruce Willis so far, because they both look like the Doomguy and seem to be able to play the role of the badass.

I agree, if the DoomGuy aint a Badass guy, or Tom Green, Then I'm gunna Weep for the sake of it.

dsm said:

Vin Diesel. Out of the great many actors out there, you choose one of the worst. Christ, Vin Diesel.

Making a movie is such a bad idea.