Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Doom Movie, For Real This Time?

gatewatcher said:

Vin Diesel. Out of the great many actors out there, you choose one of the worst. Christ, Vin Diesel.

What's wrong with him?

Hmm, remember the cop in the movie The Replacements? He wasn't playing a serious role, but, I wonder what he would be like as Doom... Or maybe thats what we want, a crazed madman running aorund saying "I'll get you the ball! I'll get you the ball!" in hell.

Well I always thoguht that making a Doom movie would be awesome. It only needs one thing to be good - Bruce Cambell
oh and it has to be R

DivineError said:

Hmm, remember the cop in the movie The Replacements? He wasn't playing a serious role, but, I wonder what he would be like as Doom... Or maybe thats what we want, a crazed madman running aorund saying "I'll get you the ball! I'll get you the ball!" in hell.

Who's a man and a half? I'm a man and a half! Berserker packin' man and a half!"

"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix ... with my hands!"

"DYNAMITE!"

gatewatcher said:

He's just a really bad actor.

That's not answer enough - some people that I've talked to claim the exact opposite, and I regard these particular people as serious and intelligent people mind you.
So I ask you now: What's so friggin' bad about his acting? So far I've been told that he's good at living into his roles.

Besides, an actor doesn't need much complicated acting to be the Doomguy - Hell, Bruce Willis (who seems to always act the same way) could be superb for the Doomguy. All the actor needs is to act like a badass marine - and several actors can do that.

Vin Diesel is cold and distant (in terms of acting). No matter what part he plays, you can tell he is acting, he's just never in character. The only good role he could play would be an actor. People look at him and think action. Ok, fine. As long as he doesn't talk, he's a great action hero.

Arioch said:

Who's a man and a half? I'm a man and a half! Berserker packin' man and a half!"

"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix ... with my hands!"

"DYNAMITE!"

I am very confused and disorientated?...

Uhhh, dude, Vin Diesel was TOTALLY in character in "Pitch Black." That movie had a great feel to it, I think. Might not have been the best plot ever, but I think they did pretty well with what the writers gave them.

Arioch: Can you give a link to the flash animation for that? I viewed it a while back, and I lost the bookmark at some point, probably when I re-installed windows.

Vin Diesel can sometimes (note SOMETIMES) act, Pitch Black and yes even Saving Private Ryan shows this but he should not be the Doom Guy...he wouldn't work. Bruce Willis however, would.

Let's just hope that the Doom movie won't become a Ecks Vs Sever...
Does that one fall under "it's so bad it's good?"
Also no liners from the Doom comic...
"I think I'm radioactive...that's not good."
And honestly, it is impossible to keep Doom at a pg-13 level unless the monsters have green blood and they remove alot of the gory goodness.
*i was going to buy a gba for doom till i saw that it was edited for a younger audience, (sighs)*

I’m already having many, many doubts about this.

Bruce willis is the perfect person for doom. Think about this, Doom with blood all over his face, cuts everywhere, battling demons with a common shootem up attitude and overwhelming enemy numbers. Thats exactly what Die Hard was.

Ecks vs Sever flals under the category as "its so bad its funny as hell"

I have a great idea... How bout this. If the doom movie does turn out to be just another crappy game movie, ill make my own doom movie with my digital video camera. Ill even use greenscreening and my 3d animation skills to make some neat doom environments. And ill make it overly gory to make up for that pg-13 rating. It will suck but it couldnt be any worse than anything with a PG-13 rating!!

I love how pissed I got everyone about the novels^. But for real, the movie can't suck too bad because ID won't let these fuckers release somethin that's gonna tarnish the good Doom name. If you take ideas from the doom circle, mostly u'll get stupid shit like the doom guy takes on and beats 50 steamdemons single-handedly at the end of the movie. That's why I liked the novels, they were realistic. In the whole fuckin thing they only killed like 3 steamdemons. In real life it'd be almost impossible to take one down alone. Less'n u had a nuke. All I want is to see the movie come out and be half as good as the game, because at that level it'll be phenominal, nevermind if it matched the game (impossible). And I love how people still blame games for violence. How many hundred thousand people get killed in auto accidents a year and noone says that cars are from hell. Be realistic. Someone can play doom and go out and kill people, and his neighbor might read the bible and go out and kill people... some people are just fuckin nuts, what'd ya want? Vikings didn't have video games or television and they were fuckin crazy^

The_Aeromaster said:

I love how pissed I got everyone about the novels^. But for real, the movie can't suck too bad because ID won't let these fuckers release somethin that's gonna tarnish the good Doom name. If you take ideas from the doom circle, mostly u'll get stupid shit like the doom guy takes on and beats 50 steamdemons single-handedly at the end of the movie. That's why I liked the novels, they were realistic. In the whole fuckin thing they only killed like 3 steamdemons. In real life it'd be almost impossible to take one down alone. Less'n u had a nuke. All I want is to see the movie come out and be half as good as the game, because at that level it'll be phenominal, nevermind if it matched the game (impossible). And I love how people still blame games for violence. How many hundred thousand people get killed in auto accidents a year and noone says that cars are from hell. Be realistic. Someone can play doom and go out and kill people, and his neighbor might read the bible and go out and kill people... some people are just fuckin nuts, what'd ya want? Vikings didn't have video games or television and they were fuckin crazy^

The Doom circle? Are you referring to the Doom community? Dude, I'm positive you haven't checked out ANY fan fics in the fan fic forums - half of the fan fics listed in the index thread could BURY the novels - and they don't have shit about fifty "steam demons" as you call them.

Bruce Willis, and yes Pitch Black kicked serious fucking ass, Vin did a great job in that but he's just not the Doom guy, sorry

Vin Diesel is a far better suggestion than Mel Gibson (yuck), and Sylvester Stallone, but I agree that Bruce Willis IS the only Doomguy.

Man, I watched Last Man Standing about half a year ago and he just reminded me soo damn much of the Doomguy in that movie somehow. Yep, Bruce Willis would kick ass as the Doomguy.

I don't have any faith that id will make sure the script is good, just look at the DOOM3 promo video. Oooh scary ghost skulls fly out of the teleporter and through a guard. The guards face changes and he growls lamely. That sequence (considering how important it is in establishing the premise of the game) should have been way better.

Then DOOMGUY comes down in an elevator and walks out into the corridor to the narrators: "Only one man stands between Hell and Earth...." then the DOOMGUY growls like he's been watching too many episodes of HOME IMPROVEMENT....

I'm kinda unhappy with the way the game is looking, so I don't have much faith in their ability to know what is good, and when you're just Trapped in Shit. :p

DivineError said:

Look at all the movies bruce willis has done that are him against overwhelming numbers of foes. Remember The Fifth Element? Hooha

Have you forgotten about Die Hard?
And Rellik, the skulls could be better, yes, but perhaps they aren't completely done yet - could that be a possibility? /Me nods
And the E3 presentation was only for a limited audience mind you - lots of games shown at E3 have small errors and things that don't look as great "as they should".
And the Doomguy snarling is cool imo, makes him seem badass (his new looks is another thing though) like he SHOULD.

I can almost guarantee already that at least 1/3 of everyone here will not like doom 3, or at least like the original better. JUST because its different. It could be the best most incredibly graphical game on the planet, and still play REALLY well, but people won't like it cause its not exactly like the original doom. Whats wrong with it being a little different?

Actually, looking at it again, I think Bruce Willis would be perfect for the doomguy role, as long as he looks at least halfway bald in the movie. Still, Mel Gibson has a knack for being quite gory, as seen in "The Patriot"...

DivineError said:

No i didnt forget about die hard, i actually made a post earlier that described why die hard was a good example of it... :P

What the fuck are you smoking pal? In die hard he wasn't a stupid one-man-army who just stood in a doorway mowing down baddies with a machine gun - oh no, the action was more realistic with firefights and all.
What the Hell do you want, another cheesy Arnie movie?

Bruce Willis would be perfect, not only because he looks like taken straight out of the game, but because he's good at acting like a real badass.

And about Mel Gibson: It's not that I think he's a bad actor, but he's not good at acting like a badass, or at least not the right way - I just can't see him as a hard-as-nails marine with a shaved army cut and definitely not as the Doomguy.
I mean, Christ, he looks way too cute with those pretty blue eyes and all - the doomguy ain't meant to look good, he's a hardened combat vet.