Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bigd

RTC-3057 Demo Release

UAC PR Dept said:

Let's see. Switch... Switch... Nope. Somebody screwed up.

O_o
It works for everybody else, so keep searching. It's not that hard, really.

Heh. the switch is in a kinda strange plae. imo anyway..

anyway.,., Wavelength. we went through the same thing with Nimrod. you play, you fail to find your way. You ask. me reply. you fail again claim it's broken.. starting to see a pattern here.
;)

Looking at the design of the room the swtich is not in a strange place at all. Just a little tucked away.

So people know about my slow modem connection moans, right?

OK, so I clicked on the download and sat there. My download manager said the download couldn't be resumed if it broke. Straight away I start getting twitchy. I go away and watch a bit of TV. I check... still downloading. I make a cup of tea. Still downloading. I get my kids ready for bed. Still downloading. I start thinking I need to go to bed too. Still downloading. 92 minutes and the thing is sitting at 99%. Then there is that terrifying pause that makes you think it is going to fail at the last minute.... and success. :-)

I haven't played right through yet, but I have to say, abso-frikken-lutely superb. A really effective, totally immersive level that is so polished it feels like a commercial release and takes doom to another level. It has a feel so much of it's own it could actually be a game in it's own right, but still undeniably doom too. It's pointless me saying much more, cause it's all been said. This is one fantstic WAD.

Oh, and BT have improved the feedback you get when you ask about the possibility of broadband. I now get a message that goes something like...

"Your exchange is not broadband enabled, and we have no plans to upgrade it at present. If you wish to register your interest, you may do so. If there is enough demand your exchange will be enabled sooner.

Even if your exchange was upgraded, you would not be able to get broadband as the maximum distance from the exchange where this is possible is 5 km and you live 11 km from your exchange."

Yeah, so given the last paragraph, why would I want to register? Huh? Answer me that! what you gonna do? Build a new exchange less than 5 km from my house huh? I don't think so!

Bah, I can almost spit on the busiest heliport in the world from where I live, just a few miles from the self styled "Oil Capitol of Eurpope" yet I'm stuck with a connection to the information super frikken highway that is slower than what most other people on 56K modems get. BAH!

Doesn't stop BT advertising frikken broadband to me on the TV, their homepage and every frikken time I go to the cinema though, does it?

BT aren't (just?) Enjay's ISP, they're the ones who own all the phonelines in his area. He can't really change that, unfortunately :(

NiGHTMARE said:

BT aren't (just?) Enjay's ISP, they're the ones who own all the phonelines in his area. He can't really change that, unfortunately :(

Sorry, I didn't know that. I don't get out much.

Well I downloaded it in about 40 mins, but then again I don't use BT. (it's ntl round my area)

Anyway, that's one impressive map there. Kinda like Malice meets Nimrod, Tai Tenga, LTSD and Dark 7, which makes for a really good wad with tons of potential. Pretty tough at the start (until I found the backpack and bullet box) and the puzzles took some doing, but it's all good.

Shaviro said:

YAY 100 posts

sexcellent. And only like 25% of this thread is a flame too! This is some sort of record I reckon!

Yes, we went through the same thing with Nimrod, which IS broken. I must have spent months in that damn room looking for a supposed "red key". I opened the thing up in an editor. And you assume that it is a character flaw: rather than admit you have a nasty bug.

Here is a tip I can give to mappers: don't make maps where keys come off of dead enemies. Because sometimes enemies die in walls.

And don't tell me I'm stupid because you hid a vital switch in a "tucked away" area for no apparant reason other than to make the definition of your map's "replayability" walking around the same place for 2 hours looking for a switch. What did you do, hide it behind a stall or something? WTF.

You know what I think I'll do? I think I'll tinker around with your map and move the switch to somewhere more practical, then rerelease it. Same with Nimrod. And A Warm Place because that map is so f-ed up too.

I'm done with this thread.

UAC PR Dept said:

And don't tell me I'm stupid because you hid a vital switch in a "tucked away" area for no apparant reason other than to make the definition of your map's "replayability" walking around the same place for 2 hours looking for a switch. What did you do, hide it behind a stall or something? WTF.

geocities.com/dragon_69283/heh.txt]W@velength, you fail it.

UAC PR Dept said:

*spoiler spoiler*

Did you try shooting/punching those 2 little yellow lights next to the locked door (1 on either side)? They change color when you do that. Now try flipping those 2 switches again... Not too complicated, IMO (just required a bit of experimentation). But I agree with you about "A Warm Place"! Great map, but freaking confusing sometimes.

UAC PR Dept said:

blah blah blah boo hoo waa waa

You can't rerelease stuff made by someone else without permission from the authors based on the text files. Just because you're too stupid to figure shit out doesn't mean everyone else is capable.

And keys and monsters shouldn't be able to fall behind walls unless they were placed there in the first place, so you're obviously just blaming the level authors for your own stupidity.

Please cut the shit or you'll find yourself at the service end of a ban.

Wavelength: heh, no. The red key don't fall off a dead, it's the hand for the palmprint that fall off a dead (aka the blue key) and I explained in detail the road to get there, noone else complained about this but you (altough probaly cause map01 put most people off from playing any further, so much for realism to the story), and I have never had a problem with a monster dying in a wall so I couldn't get his dropped items.

So.. you fail it. ;)

BTW. The red key is on a conveyorbelt that isn't moving in the northern part of the map.

As for RTC's switch, it wasn't very hard to find. Use automap if it's so hard, dammit.

hickop said:

I got doom 2 + zdoom 37 & 3057demo.wad but how to run the demo plz ?

Open Start/Run
Type c:\blah\zdoom.exe -file 3057demo.wad
Blah=your doom folder with zdoom.

UAC PR Dept said:

I'm done with this thread.

And we're done with you.

Enjoy your new special forum.

ravage said:

Open Start/Run
Type c:\blah\zdoom.exe -file 3057demo.wad
Blah=your doom folder with zdoom.

thx work now, but another question , how to jump the intro ?

I don't think there is a way. Just go through it, then save the game right afterward.

ravage said:

it should make an autosave file after the intro. It did for me.

Yes. It serves that purpose.

hickop said:

I got doom 2 + zdoom 37 & 3057demo.wad but how to run the demo plz ?

also you can just drag and drop the wad (any wad! and deh) file to your ZDoom.exe (or Prboom exe) or shortcut of it!!

as long as their are no pram lines like -height ### or -game doom.wad after the location in the shortcut... for example "C:\Doom_ID\!Doom_Win_Ports\Zdoom2.0_beta36\Zdoom.exe -height ###" wont work

so i have 4 folders 1 for each game with prboom in each them so my saves don't get overwritten and i can play Doom1 wads with the drag and drop... + Zdoom in another folder cos i just add in the ini where the iwad folders are and it'll find them so then after i drag and drop i just pick witch iwad the pwad goes with and Zdoom loads everything!!!

im a windows baby and i HATE typing a lot of command shit

and about the puzzles, i had a hard time with the heat and pressure one too, till i started to shoot everything in sight lol well that looked like it might be shoot-able.. and i had to read on here for help with the pattern... but this is a very good and well thought out map, i really cant wait for the rest... good job you guys!! releasing just enough to leave us begging for more!!!

Sweet Prince

You can use several shortcuts to ZDoom; e.g:

zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -heapsize 64 -file
zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file

etc

Fredrik said:

You can use several shortcuts to ZDoom; e.g:

zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file

etc

i dont think you were really talking to me but i'll reply anyway lol

so yeah, make all the shortcuts you want, i do that for wads that need the -heapsize or whatever else it needs but for the drag and drop that i talked about, it just wont work if you have any pram lines like -heapsize ## or -iwad doom.wad... it will load doom with the new heapsize or doom.wad and not doom2.wad but it WONT load the pwads and dehs you draged and droped :(

i make shortcuts when i want or have to but for testing a level or whatever it just soooo easy to have a ZDoom shortcut on my desktop and drag and drop the pwad and go

Sweet Prince

Fredrik said:

There's no point in -heapsize if you're using one of the latest betas, as they don't use it any more.

Sweet Prince said:

so yeah, make all the shortcuts you want, i do that for wads that need the -heapsize or whatever else it needs but for the drag and drop that i talked about, it just wont work if you have any pram lines like -heapsize ## or -iwad doom.wad... it will load doom with the new heapsize or doom.wad and not doom2.wad but it WONT load the pwads and dehs you draged and droped :(

Yes it does. When you drag and drop files onto a shortcut with no additional parameters, the command line will be <zdoom.exe file1 file2...>. The port interprets that in the form <zdoom.exe -file file1 file2...>. Therefore, if you do e.g. <zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file > and drop a file onto it, ZDoom will launch with <zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file file1> and that's valid.